PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Chris Berman supposedly "retiring" from ESPN after 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, nobody stays on top forever, his **** got old 10 years ago. But he used to be really good, always enjoyed him and loved the highlight shows he used to do. There are certain people I will always associate with NFL Football, and he will always be one of them. From my youth there was Curt Gowdy and John Facenda, and of course Howard Cosell.

Berman always got me psyched for football, the pre game shows and post game shows. Too bad they got some horrible talent working with him ruining the experience.

Sucks for Vermin that he's basically being forced out of a job but I can't really say that I've watched his shows in some time. I'm sure there's a job for him at Fox or HBO if he wants it.

Haven't watched him in years. His act was fun back in the day. It's way old and beat to death now and has been for quite some time.

That's a shame. Who's going to sprout "Back back back gone!" during the MLB Home Run Derby? It's the highlight of my year.

rumbling bumbling stumbling

i hope that dink tom jackson joins him!!!

Berman got a ton of young tail thanks to that gig ... nice perk.

Sounds like he didn't have a fall guy...

I stopped watching ESPN three or so seasons ago (maybe longer if I really think about it), so I couldn't care less about their comings and goings.

It's crazy how many things have been ruined for me over the last 16 months...football, ESPN, Boston sports journalism...

it is unfortunate that too many posters here do not understand what sports reporting in broadcast media was prior to ESPN. Berman coming out of Brown Univ as ESPN was launching turned the concept on its ear and was must watch in those days. he was unique, original, funny and engaging. no one was doing what he did.
sure he was then copied. it got stale. it got old. he lost interest. he hung around too long in the yuk fest he hosts now a days. too bad that is the taste he leaves in too many mouths.
like Charlie Steiner, another original, CB is leaving ESPN, not retiring.
Perhaps a baseball gig for a local affiliate? perhaps a more national profile on WGN or FOX? a gig on Sirrius?
whatever he takes on, I hope he is interested and engaged, and his new employ allows him free reign.

I remember Berman when ESPN started and I had cable TV for the first time. Very cool.

It's time to move on.

I hope he develops something that allows him to draw on his experience to comment on how corrupt the Media-NCAA-Pro-Sports Complex has become.

It's crazy how many things have been ruined for me over the last 16 months...football, ESPN, Boston sports journalism...
They've been ruined for a while now. You are just more informed and aware these days.

it is unfortunate that too many posters here do not understand what sports reporting in broadcast media was prior to ESPN. Berman coming out of Brown Univ as ESPN was launching turned the concept on its ear and was must watch in those days. he was unique, original, funny and engaging. no one was doing what he did.
sure he was then copied. it got stale. it got old. he lost interest. he hung around too long in the yuk fest he hosts now a days. too bad that is the taste he leaves in too many mouths.
Perhaps a baseball gig for a local affiliate? perhaps a more national profile on WGN or FOX? a gig on Sirrius?
whatever he takes on, I hope he is interested and engaged, and his new employ allows him free reign.
It's unfortunate that you don't realize that ESPN has become a joke compared to what it once was.

Regardless of what ESPN once was they have lost all credibility with Patriot fans for grossly biased reporting and a clear anti Patriot agenda for years and years. They have shown absolutely no regard for facts or the truth and happily carried the water for the NFL as it has smeared the Patriots and Bradys reputations. I will only watch it for Patriot games and major soccer matches, otherwise it is useless.

Mistake on the part of ESPN

perhaps a more national profile on WGN or FOX?

WGN would be a step down for him since that is a station based out of Chicago. And WGN America, the cable station that is national has no sports presence other than broadcasting Cubs/White Sox games, so still a step down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News