PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cable says that JaMarcus Russell will have to compete for the starting job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonentity

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As per Aaron Wilson, National Football Post.

"I think that it's like anything in life, you can bring that on yourself," Cable told reporters. "If you want to not let that be who you are, then you need to do something about it. So you change.

"The fact that he's there working is really important right now. That's the biggest step right now, and that's a big step."

This may be a case where the headline overstates what was actually said, but it's very relevant to the Patriots. Why?

Because we hold the Raiders' 2011 first round pick. The worse they do, the better for us. Ideally JaMarcus Russell starts the season, does ok for a little while (so that he doesn't get benched quickly), then slumps come November (harder to bench him halfway into the season).

If Gradkowski gets the starting job then this may only be the 10-12th pick overall rather than the 5th-8th. It doesn't seem like much but that's a lot in terms of value.

JP Losman is the only halfway decent QB on the roster. I really wouldn't worry about it.

If Gradkowski gets the starting job then this may only be the 10-12th pick overall rather than the 5th-8th. It doesn't seem like much but that's a lot in terms of value.
I don't know that Bruce Gradkowski and his 65.9 career QB rating is going to lead the Raiders to a record that is better than that of 9-11 other teams.

The pats should have taken a second this year and then traded for a 1st nxt yr if they wanted to. Banking on the Raiders to be a bad team in 2011 is not wise.

I don't know that Bruce Gradkowski and his 65.9 career QB rating is going to lead the Raiders to a record that is better than that of 9-11 other teams.

Raiders seemed to play with a spark under Grad. I don't like that one bit.

In order to secure the highest possible draft selection (for the Pats via the Raiders pick from the Sey deal) we want Russell!!

Come on JaMarcus win the QB battle and make every Patriots fan happy!

man i hope he starts the entire season

The pats should have taken a second this year and then traded for a 1st nxt yr if they wanted to. Banking on the Raiders to be a bad team in 2011 is not wise.

what??? thats one of the surest bets....

i would put my own money down on on this one

Pats don't need them to be bad in 2011; they need them to be bad this year. Raiders can win the AFC West in 2011 for all Pats fans care as long as they extend their streak of double-digit losing season to 8 in 2010.

Pats don't need them to be bad in 2011; they need them to be bad this year. Raiders can win the AFC West in 2011 for all Pats fans care as long as they extend their streak of double-digit losing season to 8 in 2010.

I'm sorry. I meant, banking on them to be as bad as they were in 2010 as they were in 2009 is unwise.

And by compete he means just show up to practice to win the job

And by compete he means just show up to practice to win the job

Below 300 lbs so hes not mistaken for a guard lol

Last edited:
OT: Cable says that JaMarcus Russell will have to compete for the starting job

File this under "unless Al Davis says otherwise".

Well here's their schedule:

Raiders 2010 Regular Season Opponents
Home/ Away
Indianapolis/ Pittsburgh
Houston / Tennessee
Miami Jacksonville
St. Louis / Arizona
Seattle / San Francisco
Denver / Denver
Kansas City / Kansas City
San Diego / San Diego

So our old friends Pioli and McDaniels can really help the Pats out. Eeks the NFC West! Although I'm sure they will love their trip to Heinz Field. Only two other trips to the East Coast (Jacksonville & Tennessee). I see 8 losses right off the bat (Indy, Pitt, Hou, Tenn, Miami, Jax, SD (x2), plus hopefully season splits with KC and Denver and .500 versus the NFC West gives them a stellar 4-12 season, which should be good enough for a top five pick.

Last edited:
Well here's their schedule:

Raiders 2010 Regular Season Opponents
Home/ Away
Indianapolis/ Pittsburgh
Houston / Tennessee
Miami Jacksonville
St. Louis / Arizona
Seattle / San Francisco
Denver / Denver
San Diego / San Diego

So our old friends Pioli and McDaniels can really help the Pats out. Eeks the NFC West! Although I'm sure they will love their trip to Heinz Field. Only two other trips to the East Coast (Jacksonville & Tennessee). I see 8 losses right off the bat (Indy, Pitt, Hou, Tenn, Miami, Jax, SD (x2), plus hopefully season splits with KC and Denver and .500 versus the NFC West gives them a stellar 4-12 season, which should be good enough for a top five pick.

I try not to get too excited over draft picks and slots but a top 5 pick is pretty cool. Especially for the Pats who need top-level talent upgrades on both sides of the ball.

I try not to get too excited over draft picks and slots but a top 5 pick is pretty cool. Especially for the Pats who need top-level talent upgrades on both sides of the ball.

I might have to go to the Jags/Raiders game, I'm pretty sure that I can get a ticket (or 200), at least I would be sincere about it as I root for the Jags!

Bad news is they play the NFC West, the worst division in the NFL for about the last six or seven years. Good news is that thanks to the Chiefs having such a bad year Oakland received a third place schedule rather than a fourth place schedule. As a result they play the Steelers and Dolphins rather than the Browns and Bills. That's probably a two-game swing in their final record.

Gradkowski played extremely well in his stint with the Raiders last season and is the best quarterback that they have on that roster. If he starts for them and stays healthy for an entire season, they win 6-7 games easily IMO.

what??? thats one of the surest bets....

i would put my own money down on on this one

That team is a good quarterback away from winning the AFC West.

File this under "unless Al Davis says otherwise".

Exactly. This is why I'm confident that the Pats will get an extremely good draft pick next year. Ideally, Jamarcus should be playing NT for a 3-4 team but Al Davis seems to be infatuated with him at the quarterback position. Let's not forget that one of the biggest reasons why Lane Kiffin was fired was because he was not in favor of drafting then starting Russell. Davis will have his say and Russell will once again get an opportunity to fail miserably at the quarterback position.

Then how about a trade with Tampa Bay for their #1 in 2011?

Based on the fact that the Bucs have holes that need to be filled just about everywhere plus they have shown a desire to spend just about as little money as possible the last couple of years, they may be a team that is more than willing to rid themselves of a high draft pick. If a rookie pay scale is worked out in the CBA negotiations (and there is no lockout) then that would be a very valuable pick - and give the Pats three first round picks in 2011.

Gradkowski played extremely well in his stint with the Raiders last season and is the best quarterback that they have on that roster. If he starts for them and stays healthy for an entire season, they win 6-7 games easily IMO.

Yeah, they have a chance. I don't think its a big one.

Home/ Away
Indianapolis/ Pittsburgh
Houston / Tennessee
Miami /Jacksonville
St. Louis / Arizona
Seattle / San Francisco
Denver / Denver
San Diego / San Diego

I've bolded the games I think they have a greater than "snowball's chance in hell" of winning. I only see 6 of them. Any games won, outside of those, would be big upsets.

If I had to guess, I'd say 4-12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes