PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ben Johnson staying in Detroit.

I read Bill isn't high on the Giants Owner/FO running the team. Don't be too sure. There was also some BS about Bill not wanting to coach in a major media market. It doesn't get any bigger than NY.
Surprising.

I always heard BB and the Mara family were kosher. The Giants GM is a greenhorn, so its not like youd be replacing Howie Roseman. Sure, Daboll is a BB pal, but this is business and year 3 for Daboll who has fielded some lousy defenses. Joey Judge last 2 years at the helm, Pat Shurmur lasted 2 years. The Giants have been drifting rudderless since Tom Coughlin.

Some Sports media guys speculate that 2025 will see a HC fired early/mid season with BB available. One guy mentioned Jacksonville as a prime candidate.

I think a Fields trade makes a lot of sense. Fields looked decent enough last year. Getsy signing on as OC would give Fields continuity. If you can get Fields for a 3rd and pick up his 5th year option then you’re set at QB for two years. He won’t amaze you but he’s probably as good as any vet you might bring in and with a higher ceiling if he takes steps forward. Then you can draft MHJ + a tackle and have a halfway decent offense to pair with a good defense. If you still feel like you need to upgrade Fields after this year then you can draft someone next year.
If they aren't in love/able to get one of the top 2 quarterbacks I wouldn't be mad at giving up a third for Fields and getting MHJ. I am higher on Fields than most but I agree he is limited as a passer but who knows? Maybe with him and a potential elite receiver and change of scenery and you catch lighting in a bottle.

If they aren't in love/able to get one of the top 2 quarterbacks I wouldn't be mad at giving up a third for Fields and getting MHJ. I am higher on Fields than most but I agree he is limited as a passer but who knows? Maybe with him and a potential elite receiver and change of scenery and you catch lighting in a bottle.
Even if you can get one of the top 2 QBs I think it makes sense. You can bring in Getsy right now, trade for Fields right now, and have a modicum of stability at the QB position. You can then go into free agency knowing who your starting QB is and that your QB already understands that offensive system out of the gate. You can build around him with a few signings as a starting point. Then you can go into the draft and see what happens. If Maye is gone, you can either draft MHJ or trade down if someone wants to give you a haul for MHJ. If Maye is there, you can still draft him and let him sit for a year or two behind Fields, then re-evaluate what you have. Or you could trade down with someone else seeking to take Maye for what's probably an even bigger haul. I'd take Maye but you'd have options.

Surprising.

I always heard BB and the Mara family were kosher. The Giants GM is a greenhorn, so its not like youd be replacing Howie Roseman. Sure, Daboll is a BB pal, but this is business and year 3 for Daboll who has fielded some lousy defenses. Joey Judge last 2 years at the helm, Pat Shurmur lasted 2 years. The Giants have been drifting rudderless since Tom Coughlin.

Some Sports media guys speculate that 2025 will see a HC fired early/mid season with BB available. One guy mentioned Jacksonville as a prime candidate.

“I’ve heard this multiple times over the past five, six, seven years. And it’s a dirty little secret, maybe, about Bill Belichick and the Giants,” Raanan said. “I don’t think he looks at the Giants the same way he used to look at the Giants when he was here.”

Raanan notes that Belichick was a Wellington Mara guy, not a John Mara and Steve Tisch guy. And while he still reflects positively on his time with the Giants, Belichick has become wary of the current ownership and front office structure.

“Over the years, Bill Belichick has given advice to people . . . that he didn’t really like the setup of the Giants organization. Like, he didn’t think the Giants (were) this great organization,” Raanan said. “Bill Belichick, like everybody else watching from the outside (and) watching the way it’s set up, doesn’t think — at least this is what I’ve heard — it’s this great organization in its current iteration."

not sure if it fits here but slowik decided to stay w/the texans per nfl network this am.
i can't ever remember 2 guys with this much buzz and amount of interviews both staying as coordinatiors voluntarily. wonder what all is behind this?

not sure if it fits here but slowik decided to stay w/the texans per nfl network this am.
i can't ever remember 2 guys with this much buzz and amount of interviews both staying as coordinatiors voluntarily. wonder what all is behind this?
In a word?? Talent.

It also makes me wonder how much that was known throughout the league. If there were whispers from the beginning that those guys were only going to leave for a very specific opportunity, it may have contributed to the Patriots skipping those pursuits and just going with their original plan of Mayo.

The Texans with that Roster have more Cap space than us also Detroit is not far behind us with an even more Stacked Roster. :(

“I’ve heard this multiple times over the past five, six, seven years. And it’s a dirty little secret, maybe, about Bill Belichick and the Giants,” Raanan said. “I don’t think he looks at the Giants the same way he used to look at the Giants when he was here.”

Raanan notes that Belichick was a Wellington Mara guy, not a John Mara and Steve Tisch guy. And while he still reflects positively on his time with the Giants, Belichick has become wary of the current ownership and front office structure.

“Over the years, Bill Belichick has given advice to people . . . that he didn’t really like the setup of the Giants organization. Like, he didn’t think the Giants (were) this great organization,” Raanan said. “Bill Belichick, like everybody else watching from the outside (and) watching the way it’s set up, doesn’t think — at least this is what I’ve heard — it’s this great organization in its current iteration."

Odd how BB texted Daboll to congratulate him landing the Giants job.

Also, puzzling how Joe Judge got the Giants HC job when he was on BBs staff. BB would have been involved somewhere with the Giants.

The Texans with that Roster have more Cap space than us also Detroit is not far behind us with an even more Stacked Roster. :(
their divisions might be looked upon as less challenging also. but the 2 coords might also believe they have a better chance at more and better jobs if they continue to develop their young/youngish qbs too.

Strategy. There's been 13 new HC hires the last 2 seasons. There will be less teams looking next season but likely teams that are better than the ones that already hired new coaches. They're both on good teams with talented players. The stay put this season, perform, and drive up their value, move up to top of the list and get a better opportunity. Makes sense vs WAS that has no QB or SEA w/ Geno.

It also makes me wonder how much that was known throughout the league. If there were whispers from the beginning that those guys were only going to leave for a very specific opportunity, it may have contributed to the Patriots skipping those pursuits and just going with their original plan of Mayo.
huh,good point.

Odd how BB texted Daboll to congratulate him landing the Giants job.

Also, puzzling how Joe Judge got the Giants HC job when he was on BBs staff. BB would have been involved somewhere with the Giants.
He texted BFlo, lol.

I mean, it's a good job, just maybe not for him. What I wonder is why the Giants fans would be excited w/ Bill after enduring Judge and Daboll, both from his tree.

He texted BFlo, lol.

Congrats on landing the Panthers job.

NOT

I mean, it's a good job, just maybe not for him. What I wonder is why the Giants fans would be excited w/ Bill after enduring Judge and Daboll, both from his tree.

Because Judge and Daboll are not Belichick. The Pat's did not turn to crap because of salary cap mismanagement or terrible defense. You just can't win without a QB.

Congrats on landing the Panthers job.

NOT

Because Judge and Daboll are not Belichick. The Pat's did not turn to crap because of salary cap mismanagement or terrible defense. You just can't win without a QB.
Trend doesn't support hiring a 72 yo HC next season.

Good for Ben Johnson, second year in a row he’s decided to stay in Detroit instead of just jumping at any job that is offered, he realizes he’s young and can wait for the job that he thinks is the best fit. Some of these young coordinators taking the first job offered will realize soon they aren’t ready.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back