PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 31 Yr. Old Man Falls 20 feet and Dies at 49ers Monster Park during sundays game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: 31 Yr. Old Man Falls 20 feet and Dies at 49ers Monster Park during sundays ga

Horrible tragedy,Hope the 49ers get sued for not keeping safer surroundings for all those fans who may do something like this that was unexpected.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS01/312110010/1049/SPORTS01

I dunno man

"This person tried to jump up on one of the walls to sit, and he misjudged and he fell," said San Francisco police spokesman Sgt. Neville Gittens said, according to the Chronicle."

this is a tragedy, but maybe the guy shouldn't have jumped up on a narrow 20 foot high wall to begin with.

Re: OT: 31 Yr. Old Man Falls 20 feet and Dies at 49ers Monster Park during sundays ga

Natural selection.

Darwin award.

Natural selection.

Darwin Award nominee for sure.

That said, I guarantee a lawsuit will follow and will probably be settled. No one is responsible for their own actions or demise any more.

Unfortunately for any owner of a franchise you have to make 100% sure that the facility is 100% safe from any accidents resulting in deaths,even if you have to put up a guard on every inch of the place and fences or walls everywhere possible.

One room for error can always lead to disaster....and in this case death.

Unfortunately for any owner of a franchise you have to make 100% sure that the facility is 100% safe from any accidents resulting in deaths,even if you have to put up a guard on every inch of the place and fences or walls everywhere possible.

cmon dude I have never been to a stadium like this in my life. if you want to take a dive from the Monster seats, or from the upper level at Gillete, it's more than easy

Natural selection.

i'm not a trial lawyer and i usually don't defend stupid things, but, according to the article, the wall was only four feet high and the 20 foot drop was on the other side.

i don't know about you, but i've probably tried to sit on more than one four foot high wall in my day. six inches is a pretty narrow ledge, especially if it slopes.

i'm inclined to think that, while the deceased could have been more careful, this is a tragic accident that could have been avoided with better design and so I am sympathetic to this poor guy and his family.

that said, i'm not sure that this thread is relevant to the forum.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Going nuts, jumping up and down, slapped on the back, pushed by other fans, and all you've got is a metal bar in front of you. I've sat in the nose bleed sections of arenas, and its scary enough just taking the stairs down.
Hey remember that guy who jumped out of the stands to catch a football. I think it was MNF's highlights.

Nah, that would mean owners would have to put up fencing 6 feet high on all stadium levels. Fenway has a 30 foot drop from the upper level and the rail is only about 3 1/2 - 4 ft. high. If you're sitting in front of that and you reach over for a foul and fall, it's on you, not the Red Sox. That's the way it should be too. I mean, if you can't see the fall, what's wrong with you?

Last edited:

the standard is never "100% safe," but "reasonably safe under reasonably forseeable circumstances." Given the description of the wall, it seems reasonably forseeable to me that someone might want to try to sit on a four foot high wall in a public venue. The burden is on the owners and managers to be sure that such a reasonably forseeable activity would not lead to physical harm or death.

this is a tragedy, but maybe the guy shouldn't have jumped up on a narrow 20 foot high wall to begin with.

Agree with that. Accidents dont happen, accidents are caused. It's obviously tragic though and thoughts go out to his family. Most stadiums with more than one tier only have about a five foot barrier to prevent you from going over the edge I think so you can actualy see the field from the upper tiers, obviously it would be wise not the jump on it to sit.

I could maybe see them making the wall 4.5 ft high, but any higher than that and you are blocking short people's view from the concourse.

Only an idiot would try to sit on a 4ft high wall with a narrow ledge and a 20ft drop. I could maybe see some signs warning idiots like this guy, but a 5ft+ wall would be dumb since it would block the view of the field.

I'm going to have to side with they person who wrote "Natural Selection"

I sat in the front row of the 300s last year, and I don't think that plexglass on top of the wall was higher than 4 feet. You can't control people's stupidity.

Any links yet to the SF papers blaming the Patriots for their role in this tragedy? (I almost thought that's what the story would be...)

I think you will all be relieved to hear that it wasn't me;)

I think you will all be relieved to hear that it wasn't me;)

Thank God for that HBM! We were all just meeting behind closed doors wondering because we hadn't heard from you!

We MUST be blessed this year!:rolleyes:

"This person tried to jump up on one of the walls to sit, and he misjudged and he fell," said San Francisco police spokesman Sgt. Neville Gittens said, according to the Chronicle.".

Very sad, but to be honest I smiled when I read that. Sounds like something right out of a Leslie Nealson movie.

Again though, condolences to the guy’s family.

From the article>>>>>>>
Torrey Kretschman, 31, of Roseville, Calif. went to a concession area near halftime. He fell over a wall that is 4 feet high and 6 inches wide with a 4-inch sloping ledge
>>>

>>>>The man's identity has been withheld, pending notification of his family and an investigation by a medical examiner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore