PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ortiz out at least a month...

WhiskeyBreath

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The Globe - David Ortiz is heading to the disabled list and will likely be out for at least a month.

The Red Sox DH had an MRI at Mass General Monday and it revealed an extensor carpi ulnaris -- a partially torn sheath of his left wrist which is basically what holds the tendon in place according to manager Terry Francona.

The tendon itself is not torn and Francona said no surgery was needed.

Team sources also indicated Ortiz will be in a cast for two weeks. It will take another 10 to 14 days to begin swinging the bat and getting into playing condition. The injury is not considered common.

Because it's Ortiz's top hand, it's considered an important injury.

Francona has several options in replacing Ortiz, mentioning the possibility of Sean Casey playing more.

HUGE blow to this team. I really hope this thing can heal on its own without surgery.

Yeah, this is huge.. WEEI was saying he could miss the season, but if he doesn't need surgery that would seem unlikely.. I am hoping that Manny will step it up a bit.. He'd been pressing the last week or so.. swinging at a lot of bad pitches, which is un-Manny-like.. Maybe now that he's got 500 out of the way, he'll go on a hot streak.. 3 HR's in the last 3 games is a good start..

This injury sounds very similar to the problem that Nomar had and eventually needed surgery to correct.

I actually don't think this is a huge deal, if its really only a month or so, then its not coming at a bad time. In the long run, it might help the team now that they can use the DH spot for any number of players. Don't get me wrong, I'm not diminishing Ortiz' contributions to this team, but to go a month without him, in return we'll have much more rested players a few months from now. The Yanks are sucking, the Rays aren't going to keep up this pace all season - this really isn't happening at all that bad a time.

What I read in todays paper was that Ortiz was infact taking a month off to prevent future strain he was told that surgury was not going to be nessicery and that it would not be a season ending injury. So just in case if you were worried, don't be:)

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back