PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On the radar: Brandon Pettigrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as he annoyed me as Donko, I'd prefer Owen Daniels.

He doesn't help them now, he sucks. I think they need to give Mitchell and Hogan a chance to beat teams vertically and allow White and Lewis to spread them out. I'm really interested to see how they adapt to the loss of Gronk against good defenses and I believe they have figured it out. It will be different but also just another example of why Brady is the GOAT.

So you don't think a healthy Pettigrew is an upgrade over Matt(? Mark? Mike?) Lengel?

Who was the DE that worked out as a TE and blew Billicheck away, Grissom right? As far as I know he's not doing much at DE so have him practice at TE for the emergency situations and see what he's got. At this point if Marty goes out our TE situation is desperate

I think he's a dog and they don't need dogs.

Maybe. But every dog has its day.

2014 should have taught you the importance of the bottom of the roster. If the team didn't spend as much time cultivating it and developing dogs, Malcolm Butler isn't even on the roster.

This probably amounts to nothing I admit, but that doesn't mean the team shouldn't do their due diligence. It is how you take 4 QBs into a season like Brady as well.

Maybe. But every dog has its day.

2014 should have taught you the importance of the bottom of the roster. If the team didn't spend as much time cultivating it and developing dogs, Malcolm Butler isn't even on the roster.

This probably amounts to nothing I admit, but that doesn't mean the team shouldn't do their due diligence. It is how you take 4 QBs into a season like Brady as well.

Terrible analogies, Butler worked his ass off and Brady is the most dedicated player to ever play the game. The Patriots always do their due diligence and I'm sure they have their scouting reports on Pettigrew as well as every player out there and if they like him they will check him out. I still think he's a dog, and I don't think either Butler or Brady are.

Understanding the importance of the bottom of the roster doesn't mean wanting every player who gets released.

Terrible analogies, Butler worked his ass off and Brady is the most dedicated player to ever play the game. The Patriots always do their due diligence and I'm sure they have their scouting reports on Pettigrew as well as every player out there and if they like him they will check him out. I still think he's a dog, and I don't think either Butler or Brady are.

Understanding the importance of the bottom of the roster doesn't mean wanting every player who gets released.

I agree, it's not about lusting after every player that is cut. But it's a simple question because you're comparing against what you have. I'm not asking if Pettigrew is a good player or a great player or a potential Pro Bowl player. I'm wondering, is Lengel a better player than Pettigrew? I don't know, haven't seen him, but it's a fair question. I've seen Pettigrew at his best and worst. I don't know what the floor or ceiling on Lengel is.

As for the analogies, I think both are fair. Neither player was highly regarded at the time. Sure, hindsight makes it seem like of course they'd be guys we would keep, but neither was a roster lock.

At the time, Butler was an UDFA out of a small school with questions about his past. He wasn't on most roster projections I saw that year. Nobody was thinking he would emerge into a significant starter and author of the Super Bowl winning play. Most would have figured him to be a dog at the time. It's easy to look back now, but at the time, nobody gave a **** really.

And I doubt you (or I, or anyone including BB) projected Brady to be the greatest QB of all time. Don't forget we drafted Adrian Klemm, J.R. Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Dave Stachelski, Jeff Marriott, and Antwan Harris before finally selecting Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 draft. He was the 4th-string QB on a ****ty team with a Pro Bowl starter who was the highest-paid player in the NFL. I'm sure many were wondering what the heck the point was.

But even beyond those two, the point is that every team every year relies on "dogs" who are outcast from their teams. A more relevant comparison might be Mark Anderson, a guy who had early success with the team that drafted him, but fell out of favour. He signed a one-year deal here and had a nice year for us with 10 sacks.

Blount's another example of a "dog" from a ****ty team in Tampa. He had some early success but got benched by a terrible Bucs team, and many were wondering why we'd bother trading for him. And even up to earlier this year, people were *****ing and moaning about him.

Then there are the flipsides, the Steven Jacksons and the Reggie Waynes that amount to nothing. But at this point of the season, if you can bring a guy in on a non-guaranteed contract and see if they can help the team and all it costs is a roster spot and a bit of cash, why wouldn't you at least want to find out? You're not giving up draft capital, you're not risking a huge chunk of money, you can cut the guy in a week (or a day if you want) with no real repercussions.

It's low-risk, high-reward. Yet every time these opportunities come up, so many people bash these types of deals because the player sucked with their old team or they're old or not as good as they used to be. Van Noy is the most recent example of a guy outcast by his current team, a guy many wondered why we bothered with. But he's one of many, and he certainly won't be the last.

Pettigrew hasn't play in two years. He had a knee injury last year and should have been ready to go this season. But he has been babying some other injury and only practices when he wants to. Just milking the Lions along for his pay. Apparently he has some other ouchie that is non-football related.
When he did play, he couldn't catch anything meaningful. He would always drop key situations. A few times he let 200lb DB's rip the ball away from him. They say he is a good blocker but there is no eidence of that. I'm somewhat of a Lions fan too so i've seen alot of him.
Nobody would confuse him with any TE the Pat's have ever had.

I agree, it's not about lusting after every player that is cut. But it's a simple question because you're comparing against what you have. I'm not asking if Pettigrew is a good player or a great player or a potential Pro Bowl player. I'm wondering, is Lengel a better player than Pettigrew? I don't know, haven't seen him, but it's a fair question. I've seen Pettigrew at his best and worst. I don't know what the floor or ceiling on Lengel is.

As for the analogies, I think both are fair. Neither player was highly regarded at the time. Sure, hindsight makes it seem like of course they'd be guys we would keep, but neither was a roster lock.

At the time, Butler was an UDFA out of a small school with questions about his past. He wasn't on most roster projections I saw that year. Nobody was thinking he would emerge into a significant starter and author of the Super Bowl winning play. Most would have figured him to be a dog at the time. It's easy to look back now, but at the time, nobody gave a **** really.

And I doubt you (or I, or anyone including BB) projected Brady to be the greatest QB of all time. Don't forget we drafted Adrian Klemm, J.R. Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Dave Stachelski, Jeff Marriott, and Antwan Harris before finally selecting Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 draft. He was the 4th-string QB on a ****ty team with a Pro Bowl starter who was the highest-paid player in the NFL. I'm sure many were wondering what the heck the point was.

But even beyond those two, the point is that every team every year relies on "dogs" who are outcast from their teams. A more relevant comparison might be Mark Anderson, a guy who had early success with the team that drafted him, but fell out of favour. He signed a one-year deal here and had a nice year for us with 10 sacks.

Blount's another example of a "dog" from a ****ty team in Tampa. He had some early success but got benched by a terrible Bucs team, and many were wondering why we'd bother trading for him. And even up to earlier this year, people were *****ing and moaning about him.

Then there are the flipsides, the Steven Jacksons and the Reggie Waynes that amount to nothing. But at this point of the season, if you can bring a guy in on a non-guaranteed contract and see if they can help the team and all it costs is a roster spot and a bit of cash, why wouldn't you at least want to find out? You're not giving up draft capital, you're not risking a huge chunk of money, you can cut the guy in a week (or a day if you want) with no real repercussions.

It's low-risk, high-reward. Yet every time these opportunities come up, so many people bash these types of deals because the player sucked with their old team or they're old or not as good as they used to be. Van Noy is the most recent example of a guy outcast by his current team, a guy many wondered why we bothered with. But he's one of many, and he certainly won't be the last.

I don't call a player a dog because they were released, otherwise almost every player would be considered a dog, I call a player a dog if I think they are soft, lazy, or don't play hard, the Patriots released Chris Harper and Aaron Dobson, I never considered Harper a dog but believed wholeheartedly that Dobson was one. Imo Pettigrew is one of those highly touted prospects who never played hard and never lived up to his potential. I have no idea who would be a better TE for the Patriots because I have no idea how good Lengel is and have no way of finding out, I do know that I don't want Pettigrew.

I don't call a player a dog because they were released, otherwise almost every player would be considered a dog, I call a player a dog if I think they are soft, lazy, or don't play hard, the Patriots released Chris Harper and Aaron Dobson, I never considered Harper a dog but believed wholeheartedly that Dobson was one. Imo Pettigrew is one of those highly touted prospects who never played hard and never lived up to his potential. I have no idea who would be a better TE for the Patriots because I have no idea how good Lengel is and have no way of finding out, I do know that I don't want Pettigrew.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense. Although I would be careful to label a guy as soft or lazy or doesn't play hard just because they aren't productive. I never saw any indication that Harper's effort was in question; he just wasn't very good.

For example, Mark Anderson might fit your "dog" definition if you asked Bears fans. But in reality, it doesn't seem like it was an effort thing, more to do with scheme and responsibilities vs. his own abilities. Blount definitely would have fit that description from his time in Tampa (and in Pittsburgh too). Ayers would probably qualify as well if you ask Titans fans.

Alan Branch is another player that probably gets the "dog" definition. Many scouting reports mentioned him taking plays off. But I watched him at Michigan a few times and sometimes the other team would just double-team him all the time. If you're an Alan Branch fan, you say, he's double-teamed, he can't do anything. But if you're an Alan Branch hater, you say, he should find a way to make more of an impact, as there were games he didn't show up at all on the stat register. Was he a dog? I don't know. I see how both sides could make their arguments though.

I don't know Pettigrew that well though. How often have you watched him play? Would be interested to hear where you draw the conclusions that he's soft or lazy or doesn't play hard.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense. Although I would be careful to label a guy as soft or lazy or doesn't play hard just because they aren't productive. I never saw any indication that Harper's effort was in question; he just wasn't very good.

For example, Mark Anderson might fit your "dog" definition if you asked Bears fans. But in reality, it doesn't seem like it was an effort thing, more to do with scheme and responsibilities vs. his own abilities. Blount definitely would have fit that description from his time in Tampa (and in Pittsburgh too). Ayers would probably qualify as well if you ask Titans fans.

Alan Branch is another player that probably gets the "dog" definition. Many scouting reports mentioned him taking plays off. But I watched him at Michigan a few times and sometimes the other team would just double-team him all the time. If you're an Alan Branch fan, you say, he's double-teamed, he can't do anything. But if you're an Alan Branch hater, you say, he should find a way to make more of an impact, as there were games he didn't show up at all on the stat register. Was he a dog? I don't know. I see how both sides could make their arguments though.

I don't know Pettigrew that well though. How often have you watched him play? Would be interested to hear where you draw the conclusions that he's soft or lazy or doesn't play hard.

I agree that different fans and fan bases have very different views on players and Blount is a great example of that as fans in Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh think he's a dog and we love him. As far as Pettigrew goes my opinion came mostly from Cincinnati and I thought he was a bad signing by Detroit.

against stupid teams sure. against a good team like denver, having fleming on the field limits our offense/makes playcalling predictable. just stack the box, we all know he's isn't an option in the passing game.

2 tds on harbawl for Flemming this week. Just to see that turds head explode.

I agree that different fans and fan bases have very different views on players and Blount is a great example of that as fans in Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh think he's a dog and we love him. As far as Pettigrew goes my opinion came mostly from Cincinnati and I thought he was a bad signing by Detroit.

Cincinnati?

Pettigrew was drafted by the Lions in the 1st round (20th overall) in 2009 and re-signed with the team afterwards.

Are you thinking of Jermaine Gresham? He was drafted by the Bengals in the 1st round (21st overall) in the 2010 draft who eventually signed with the Cardinals.

While both were similarly disappointing to their fan bases, Pettigrew did get a pretty decent second deal with the Lions, though it was mostly disappointing the past few years.

Thanks Miguel. I saw that he was on waivers but not the explanation. By now I suppose he has cleared...

The deadline to claim Pettigrew is 4PM Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes