PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OMG No team is coming up big for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is legit playoff teams don't have to worry about having teams lose in order for them to get into the playoffs.

Most of you are too young to remember, but all of this "If the Jets and Doofins lose to two teams they have no business losing to" reminds me of the Patriots of the 1980's, always having to depend on other teams losing for them to get in, 1985 aside.

Broncos getting beat in the 1/4-finals in 2001 was way huge that year.

If I was a Boys fan, I would be embarrassed. The offensive play calling, the penalties and TWO 70 yard runs in the final minutes given up? Wade Phillips is a bum. They were like a pack of bungling clowns out there today. I will be rooting for Philly next weekend after that job.

Now there's an ironic choice of words. :) :(

Bottom line is legit playoff teams don't have to worry about having teams lose in order for them to get into the playoffs.

Most of you are too young to remember, but all of this "If the Jets and Doofins lose to two teams they have no business losing to" reminds me of the Patriots of the 1980's, always having to depend on other teams losing for them to get in, 1985 aside.

That Jets loss at home was a killer, I said it when it happened and I'll still say it today, it cost them the division, a home playoff game and more and more likely making the playoffs at all.

The defense played like ***** for most of the night and the offense came roaring back only to..........well, you all know how the game turned out.

Tonight was our best last hope and Dallas sh!t the bed, it's going to take a miracle now.
It can happen, in 2006 the Titans faced the same thing but with one game to go, everything fell into place as far as teams losing. Except we crashed that party. All they had to do was beat us.

The Indy loss is going to burn us - it was just about the point in the season before BB unleashed MC and reverted to that supremely conservative tight@ss game plan that just lead to a bunch of field goals in a game where everyone knew Indy was bound to stuff it in. The play where we had 4th and 1 from the 6 and were pulverizing them and BB calling a timeout then kicking the field goal ends up being the call that keeps us out. That and the coin flip in the NYJ game. We won that Indy game in every phase, but put up 5 friggin FG's.

No, Law Firm did actually get a touchdown in that game. :)

The defense by the Cowboys on those two long TDs was absolutely pathetic, there's really no other way to put it. It's sorry enough to give up 75+ yard TDs on back to back plays. But to give them up when you KNOW the opponent is going to run, and they do so with standard run plays out of standard run formations.. it's ridiculous.

Awww man I wanna bang my head against a cement door after thinking about ALL these plays that didn't go our way! But then I take a step back and say, anything can happen :)

Last edited:
Jacksonville chokes against the Colts, Bills choke against the Jets, and Cowboys can't make a big play on D to save their hopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Positive note is that Jaguars played the Colts tough and hopefully they'll upset Baltimore and I'm still thinking the Jets have a good chance of losing in Seattle.

Baltimore will beat the Jags at home. Jags are already in the process of firing people I hear.

Jags always play the Colts tough. They can play lousy in every game but treat the Colts like the Super Bowl and make our D look lousy. MJD owns Indy.

Ravens=6th seed

What makes me sick is...if Jets lose against Seattle and Miami wins against KC...then the final week basically depends on the Jets saving our season :(

Such has been the perverse nature of this season.

What makes me sick is...if Jets lose against Seattle and Miami wins against KC...then the final week basically depends on the Jets saving our season :(

I much rather have the Jets at home saving our division hopes than the Jaguars on the road saving our wild card hopes.

When all is said and done maybe it would be better not to worry about being rescued by another team... What kind of candy-assed arrangement would that be? :D Just go down fighting and accept whatever comes of it...

Last edited:
I actually like that scenario. The Jets would have to win to get into the playoffs themselves, and thereby would elevate the hated (from their fans perspective) Patriots to their 6th straight division title!

The defense by the Cowboys on those two long TDs was absolutely pathetic, there's really no other way to put it. It's sorry enough to give up 75+ yard TDs on back to back plays. But to give them up when you KNOW the opponent is going to run, and they do so with standard run plays out of standard run formations.. it's ridiculous.

the 2nd one when it happened i actually laughed out loud. That team is mess because of jerry jones and wade phillips. It was hilarious in post game when jerry jones explaind X/O about the game saying they had some miscommunication and some calls were missed some blocking assignments were missed etc like he is the football coach :)
he screwed the team by bringing in all big names and asking them to be coached. The coaches are overrated including the suppsoed prodigy jason garrett and they cant coach dumb players on offense.
Other than witten and ware ,the rest are a wreck mostly.

I actually like that scenario. The Jets would have to win to get into the playoffs themselves, and thereby would elevate the hated (from their fans perspective) Patriots to their 6th straight division title!

iwould like any scenario which gets us in at this pt of time. Future looks bleak right now.

i think you guys are panicking over nothing

kc is probably going to beat miami, and the jets are probably going to beat seattle, then you guys are going 2-0 to finish the season, and you have the tiebreaker over the jets if they go 11-5 too, don't you?

kc is probably going to beat miami, and the jets are probably going to beat seattle, then you guys are going 2-0 to finish the season, and you have the tiebreaker over the jets if they go 11-5 too, don't you?

We lose the tiebreaker to both teams.

The only way we win the division is if both teams go 1-1. (or less)

we need both of them to lose one game. Would you think we would be desperate cowboy fans for anything else ?:)

It's still a good possibility to make the playoffs, of course as long as we win, starting this afternoon. Win out and hope Jacksonville beats Baltimore next week. As much as I'd love to see Miami AND the Jets lose today...wait, maybe the football gods will come thru for us. Maybe they teased us with a possible Dallas win tonight...This really bites when your playoff fate is not in your own hands...

If the Pats overcome all these injuries and an OT coin-flip loss to become the first team in modern history to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs -- well, in that case I will declare the discussion of good luck in prior seasons officially closed!

Tonight was our best last hope and Dallas sh!t the bed, it's going to take a miracle now.

Well, I will give you that a Dallas win was our last best hope. But, a miracle???? That's overstating it a bit. KC might suck, but Miami is going to play a game in temps of single digits (with wind chills -5 to -10). It will be by FAR the coldest game the franchise has ever played. They historically do not play well in cold weather (even when they have had decent teams). It's not a stretch to predict an upset on this one.

It's not a stretch to think that Seattle will have some extra juice today for Holmgrin's final game in SEA. Both teams could easily shzit the bed, without a miracle.

The important thing is we need to take care of our business, cuz no matter what, without winning out, it don't matter what happens in those other games. We do that and our hopes are VERY MUCH alive.

In fact, I might even say that given the circumstanses, the table is as well set up for a MIA & JETS loss and NE win as we could hope for.

Last edited:
Yeah, 2 things come to my mind.

1. Gaffney's drop against Colts

2. Defense failure to stop Jets on 3rd and 15.

Amazing how 2 plays can affect your season.

I would add Randy Moss' drop of a touch down in the last minute of the second quarter against the Steelers. I still believe if the Pats scored there, the outcome of that game and strategy would have been a lot different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back