PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL competition, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we need a blocking TE when we'll be throwing all game? Just leave Maroney and Faulk in the entire game to block incase a LB gets through.

Why do we need a blocking TE when we'll be throwing all game? Just leave Maroney and Faulk in the entire game to block incase a LB gets through.
Simple...but a one dimensional offense will not get that far..a strong blocking TE will help the running game as well as help with pass blocking..

The fact that neither of our current tackles are true #1's (lets face it, we're not talking Jonathon Ogden or Willie Roaf here) necessitates good blocking TE's.

Matt Light is who I consider to be the most overrated Pat. He may be the ONLY Pat that I don't care for. He's not my DW Toys' Sanders, but I guess I'm biased against him for some reason. It just seems like he's getting blown up all the time. I'd love to see an upgrade there.

In my lifetime, the only Patriots LT to not get blown-up in big games (mainly because he rarely ever played in them) was Bruce Armstrong.
The Max Lanes and Matt Lights of the world will always be weak links.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Kaczur wins out for two reasons he was ahead of o'callahan last year and I think he is a slightly better fit for our expectations of an O-line....I think Kaczur has the body they covet where as O'callahan may be just a bit big for their liking but there are worse problems for an olinemen than being to big.
I don't agree with your assessment that the RT battle is close. I think it's been decided. I do, however, agree with all that you wrote above. Futher, I'll add that what's more critical on this team is the ability to protect the franchise and I think Kaczur does a far better job of protecting Brady. Though I think RO is a slight better run blocker, he really lacks the foot speed and the initial burst off the snap. Though you can teach better technique, work on improving leverage and strength as well as OL assignments, I'm really not sure one can drastically improve a big guy's foot speed and burst through coaching. Thus, Kaczur is the starting RT and the back up for protecting Brady's blind side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft