PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK with the Steelers winning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OK with the Steelers winning....

Personally, I am at the point where I dislike all the NFL (Pats excluded ofcourse)

Why suffer through 3 hours watching a 9-7 team the Pats blew out play against a team that Brady decimates?

It's not worth the hassle.

Secondly - now that Big Ben has 2 rings - the media can stop talking about Manning vs Brady and concentrate on Ben vs Brady as both have multiple rings. Media obsession of Manning is going to go down now because they have to make Big Ben second after Brady ofcourse. I kinda like that.

GO PATS!!!!!

Nah. I don't think the media will elevate Ben. He had a great game, but once again they gave the SBMVP to one of his receivers, not to the QB. Manning has two league MVP's. Brady one. The QB show is still Tommy and Peyton.

I'm not okay with it. The last 4 SB's have all had dreadful outcomes, I mean at least can't a team like Kansas City or some other team I could give a crap less about win it over us. Why's it have to be the Steelers and the Colts, that just sucks bigtime.

Last time a SB went well for a Pats fan - other than the three SB victories by the Pats - was when Tampa Bay blew out the Raiders six years ago.

Smufflesburgers is not even in the same Galaxy as Brady.

F the Steelers and their overrated QB.

Amen to this brilliant post.........Puhleese don't put try to put Rottenburger in Brady's class.....apples and oranges. In fairness to the steelers, they have put together a very well balanced team....which helps rottenburger tremendously.

Ben is not that good, the steelers D has made his career look alot better than it is.

People said the same thing about Brady, which was also BS.

Big Ben won the Superbowl with 2 minutes remaining and starting on a 1st and 20 situation. His elusiveness to buy time and hit receivers was the difference.

The guy may be a real life moron, but on the field his current production is on track to make him a top 15 all time QB based on his stats and total wins.

Ben is not that good, the steelers D has made his career look alot better than it is.

:yeahthat: And he's had some luck along the way. Ben's a good QB but he's no Brett Favre. :lol2:

Seeming as I was able to listen to some football talk today and read some stuff about the game, I'm in a far better place than I was last year, so I guess that means I am, also, OK with the Steelers winning. Can't change it, might even provide a little more motivation for the Pats next year knowing that the "team to beat" comes from their own conference...not that the Pats need any motivating.

Cheeseburger is defitnetly the luckiest QB ever, play against a Cardinal D that don't know they need to make adustment (keep rushing him instead of drop more into coverage). he's not good when you just let him stand in the pocket and actually play QB, the cardinals should know that his hard to drag down because of his weight, so don't that him running around try to find his receivers.

I'm tired of listening to the media saying his a great QB.

You should've called the defense on the red phone instead of just watching the game like the rest of us.

Lucky to play the cards D? Don't forget about the playoffs, and the 3 game sweep on the #2 D.

Congratulation to the Steelers. They play football the way i like, With Defense and a good punishing varied Offense.

But the victory also showed their weaknesses. Their rushing game at 110 a game, yards frequently stalled and doesn't match up with their usual 140+ a game. Ben makes that Offense survive with his unorthodox third down runarounds and completions.

If you want to compare secondaries the
Steeler Defense is pretty pitiful. I'd actually take our present (not the augmented one coming). Despite the big pass rush, they give up an lot of completions.

Despite losing, the Cards generated over 400 yard of Offense against the "#1 Defense". Hardly a great performance and giving up long plays.

So:
a) they can be outscored on Offense; and
b) the Defense is susceptible to the pass when the rush doesn't get there.
c) It will yield big YAC because of the blitzing.
Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz. They almost did.

I'll take Belichick's fundamentally sound D any day of the week. Even while it is rebuilding. Our Offense is miles ahead of Pittsburgh's, even with Cassel under Center. If it were not for the first four or five "feeling it out" games, it would have been the #1 Offense in 2008 as it was in 2007, but even more balanced with a fearsome, deep, rushing game too.:cool::D:D

Last edited:
Congratulation to the Steelers. They play football the way i like, With Defense and a good punishing varied Offense.

But the victory also showed their weaknesses. Their rushing game at 110 a game, yards frequently stalled and doesn't match up with their usual 140+ a game. Ben makes that Offense survive with his unorthodox third down runarounds and completions.

If you want to compare secondaries the
Steeler Defense is pretty pitiful. I'd actually take our present (not the augmented one coming). Despite the big pass rush, they give up an lot of completions.

Despite losing, the Cards generated over 400 yard of Offense against the "#1 Defense". Hardly a great performance and giving up long plays.

So:
a) they can be outscored on Offense; and
b) the Defense is susceptible to the pass when the rush doesn't get there.
c) It will yield big YAC because of the blitzing.
Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz. They almost did.

I'll take Belichick's fundamentally sound D any day of the week. Even while it is rebuilding. Our Offense is miles ahead of Pittsburgh's, even with Cassel under Center. If it were not for the first four or five "feeling it out" games, it would have been the #1 Offense in 2008 as it was in 2007, but even more balanced with a fearsome, deep, rushing game too.:cool::D:D

Actually, the reason they gave up so many yards had little to do with the blitz! The real reason has been a gripe of mine for YEARS, and LeBeau continues to do it, despite it's ineffectiveness! When Pittsburgh has a lead (doesn't even have to be a big lead, 7 points will do for them), LeBeau calls a "prevent-like" defense, which in theory is supposed to PREVENT big plays. However, this approach has NEVER worked for the Steelers. They pull their safeties deep and protect against the long ball, and chill out on their blitz packages, which only leaves the middle of the field WIDE open for the dink and dunk passes, while alllowing the QB time to find these guys accross the middle! It's been a HUGE frustration of mine for some time! They stray from what had been working all game, and allow the team to march right down the field with this defensive scheme! Basically, the total OPPOSITE of what they're trying to do, which is protect the lead. The reason they end up giving up BIG plays when they do this, is because in the NFL today, there are increasingly more players who thrive on YAC, like Fitz for example. They catch a relatively short pass over the middle, and with their moves and speed, turn it into a huge gain, if not a TD! I really wish the "powers that be" in Pittsburgh would wake up and realize that this doesn't work! Continue bringing the blitz and covering the middle of the field is what works for them.

Last edited:
Actually, the reason they gave up so many yards had little to do with the blitz! The real reason has been a gripe of mine for YEARS, and LeBeau continues to do it, despite it's ineffectiveness! When Pittsburgh has a lead (doesn't even have to be a big lead, 7 points will do for them), LeBeau calls a "prevent-like" defense, which in theory is supposed to PREVENT big plays. However, this approach has NEVER worked for the Steelers. They pull their safeties deep and protect against the long ball, and chill out on their blitz packages, which only leaves the middle of the field WIDE open for the dink and dunk passes, while alllowing the QB time to find these guys accross the middle! It's been a HUGE frustration of mine for some time! They stray from what had been working all game, and allow the team to march right down the field with this defensive scheme! Basically, the total OPPOSITE of what they're trying to do, which is protect the lead. The reason they end up giving up BIG plays when they do this, is because in the NFL today, there are increasingly more players who thrive on YAC, like Fitz for example. They catch a relatively short pass over the middle, and with their moves and speed, turn it into a huge gain, if not a TD! I really wish the "powers that be" in Pittsburgh would wake up and realize that this doesn't work! Continue bringing the blitz and covering the middle of the field is what works for them.

The biggest strategic reason for the Steelers win was that they were playing the safeties back. Had they played them up, the Cardinals would have blown the Steelers off the field.

Last edited:
I guess we just disagree on this issue then. They were doing a pretty good job of limiting Warner and Fitz up until they changed their scheme. I just don't like it. This team thrives on their pressure packages and having at least above average secondary. It's their bread and butter. Everytime they start trying to "protect the lead", they end up allowing the opposing team to march right down the field. I hate it.

I guess we just disagree on this issue then. They were doing a pretty good job of limiting Warner and Fitz up until they changed their scheme. I just don't like it. This team thrives on their pressure packages and having at least above average secondary. It's their bread and butter. Everytime they start trying to "protect the lead", they end up allowing the opposing team to march right down the field. I hate it.

They were using pressure packages. They just didn't involve the safeties. That's why Troy Longshanks was not spoken of much in the game. The announcers pointed this out, and noted how effective it was at limiting the downfield throws of Warner. Leaving those corners one-one-one with Boldin and Fitzgerald would have resulted in a loss by Pittsburgh.

I didn't watch the game. However, one of the problems they do have is their defense goes down fast when opposing teams figure out their pressure schemes.

This is the single reason why Brady has such ease with their defense. **** Lebeau once said nothing is uglier than zone blitzing that no longer works.

I am not saying the Cardinals 'figured it out", I didn't watch but if they sensed it, a more "prevent" style was in order. That secondary matched with the AZ receivers is not a favourable matchup.

They were using pressure packages. They just didn't involve the safeties. That's why Troy Longshanks was not spoken of much in the game. The announcers pointed this out, and noted how effective it was at limiting the downfield throws of Warner. Leaving those corners one-one-one with Boldin and Fitzgerald would have resulted in a loss by Pittsburgh.

I didn'y say they STOP the blitz, but they don't blitz as agressively. I don't neccessarily have a problem with that in and of itself. I knew going into this game that Tyoy would relatively quiet (barring an INT), as they absolutely HAD to keep him back in coverage and give some help to the corners against Arizona's passing attack. My issue is when before the ball is snapped, the have the D-line and then 30 yards before you see another Steeler. I understand the need to pull the safeties into coverage, but i have an issue with pulling them this DEEP! This leaves WAY to much roon over the middle, and it doesn't take long for any QB to pick up on this and exploit it. exactly what happened on the Fitz TD. Warner hit him over the middle, in completely OPEN space and Fitz did his thing to take it to the house. This scheme basically says "You're not gonna beat us with a bomb, but we'll let you take 25 yard chunks all day, right down the field." Either way the opposing offense goes the length of the field and gets into scoring position. It may take them a few more plays to do it, but they will eventually get there. I'd rather put some faith into our corners and safeties and allow them to play coverage and hopefully break up any long plays. Just my opinion I guess, but I hate how this defense lets teams march down the field in clutch situations. I don't miss a Steelers game, and I've seen this too many times.

I didn'y say they STOP the blitz, but they don't blitz as agressively. I don't neccessarily have a problem with that in and of itself. I knew going into this game that Tyoy would relatively quiet (barring an INT), as they absolutely HAD to keep him back in coverage and give some help to the corners against Arizona's passing attack. My issue is when before the ball is snapped, the have the D-line and then 30 yards before you see another Steeler. I understand the need to pull the safeties into coverage, but i have an issue with pulling them this DEEP! This leaves WAY to much roon over the middle, and it doesn't take long for any QB to pick up on this and exploit it. exactly what happened on the Fitz TD. Warner hit him over the middle, in completely OPEN space and Fitz did his thing to take it to the house. This scheme basically says "You're not gonna beat us with a bomb, but we'll let you take 25 yard chunks all day, right down the field." Either way the opposing offense goes the length of the field and gets into scoring position. It may take them a few more plays to do it, but they will eventually get there. I'd rather put some faith into our corners and safeties and allow them to play coverage and hopefully break up any long plays. Just my opinion I guess, but I hate how this defense lets teams march down the field in clutch situations. I don't miss a Steelers game, and I've seen this too many times.

Your corners would have gotten destroyed. Arizona would still be scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back