PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ok What do we need to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
to win this week, apart from benching brady,letting mcdaniels go,planning for 2007 and all those things, what do we do to win this week against the packers..

what are the realistic thoughts/ideas ?
My take
a)Play with some urgency. I dont believe in all those words like swagger/fire but we need to have some urgency in the game off/defense/ST.
b)Play with some belief. I listened to brady on WEEI this morning and he was +Ve as usual and kept saying , "hopefully it works next week" or something like that...When players referred to tipped balls,field conditions etc , means they are getting desperate. Past pats teams would have made some special play or the other in tough situations
c)run the ball in the redzone more....2nd and 1 and 3rd and 2 , we shouldve had dillon in the game...its a minor pt but yesterday's game turned on that possesion when we got 3 instead of 7
d)Brady should stop being Favre.-Throw the ball away or take a sack...making dumb throws to make a play and keep on saying "we are improving weekly" doesnt make sense...and tipped balls aside he IS making those bad throws in crucial situations.The lack of recievers cant be blamed anymore.The recievers made some tough catches yesterday and bailed brady out on more bad throws . Not to mention his INT before the half which he got lucky with the rouging penalty ...which leads to...
e)Our 2 min offense needs to get better...dont ask how but that flawless 2 min offense is missing from the past.
f)Iam not a big X/O person but i think the defense needs to play more pressure D. this bend not break D is not working...rather go after the QB and get burnt than 16 plays and have people run into the endzone.Our past defenses were always good at making big plays in the big situations but right now its just not working.And...please tackle.
g)Dont want to say improve off playcalling because its what it is...some things are too wide to change in mid season, so we have to work around on it,somehow.

We are not the same team as past teams so we cant expect it to be same perfect team especially without the old coaches who have moved on. We can say we miss A,B C but eventually it has to happen , no one lasts forever.Its a team in transition but they need to play better regardless..This weekly improvement thing is fine but it will get a bit more close for comfort now with 7 weeks left.
On to the packers, what is their weakness ? Strength - Favre and his receivers are a bit scary ...

On defense I don't know what can be done until we can try to bring in more talent in the defensive backfield in the offseason. We're kind of screwed for now with a lack of depth (not to mention lack of quality starters). It is what it is and we have to make do with it. Samuel's contract expectations aside, I don't think we have a single starter (right now with Harrison out) among the DBs who is more than average. And, yeah, the Packers don't look like a strong matchup.

What's up with Vrabel's sack numbers ? He's gone from 10 to 6 to 5 to 4 (4 projected from 2 so far). He doesn't seem to be blitzing as much, is that by choice or has he slowed down a little ? With Bruschi less active, the LB are looking even older than usual and they haven't looked young for a while. If Vrabel hasn't lost a step I'd like to see a little more pressure from him. Seau has looked good but next year having Vrabel and Bruschi inside may be the way to go if we aren't going to blitz Vrabel and get some fresh legs at OLB.

Offensively, as nice as the Viking game was . . . for now that looks like an illusion. I'd pull back to what we had going with a lot of running. I mean 40 carries a game, 20 apiece for Dillon and Maroney. Is the passing problem Brady, the WR, the OL or some combination ? I really don't know or care. I just know it is a problem. And I am more confident that the running game can pick up the slack. Yes, Maroney has not looked as good but he's also not getting a lot of carries to get into a rhythm. Give those guys 20 carries a game each, or at least 15 each, and I think we'll like the results. Certainly more than what we're getting by all this passing right now.

play calling maybe the problem but it requires a feel for the game which maybe mcdaniels doesnt have it maybe..who knows..
So its tough to expect him to change overnight and become the great play caller..
In the same vein, he called plays for us last yr also and this offense functioned much better so the lost player adjustment has not been done properly maybe..
Regardless, i doubt you can change mcdaniels to someone else, we can say , he shouldve run that and this after the game but his strength is supposed to be to call it as the plays are happening and if he doesnt then i dont know how he can change much...he is who he is...if changing off coord is the soln it cant happen this week anyway...right now we need to see how we can resolve this current problem of the team not executing well..

I'm not one to question individual playcalling but the offensive philpsophy I want changed to run, run and run some more. Then pass. Again, blame who you want but it looks like the passing game won't be in synch for a while.

SVN said:
play calling maybe the problem but it requires a feel for the game which maybe mcdaniels doesnt have it maybe..who knows..
So its tough to expect him to change overnight and become the great play caller..
In the same vein, he called plays for us last yr also and this offense functioned much better so the lost player adjustment has not been done properly maybe..
Regardless, i doubt you can change mcdaniels to someone else, we can say , he shouldve run that and this after the game but his strength is supposed to be to call it as the plays are happening and if he doesnt then i dont know how he can change much...he is who he is...if changing off coord is the soln it cant happen this week anyway...right now we need to see how we can resolve this current problem of the team not executing well..

I do not recall any o coordinator begin replaced mid season, never mind a coordinator on a team with six wins. There needs to be some refinement and different focus, but talking about changing coordinators at this stage of the season makes little sense. BB sees what is going on and if he sees a great need, will modify some of McDaniels power and change the focus of our offense and O game plan. OTOH, an o coordinator cannot change the execution of the players.. that is what is wrong with this team.

GJAJ15 said:
I do not recall any o coordinator begin replaced mid season, never mind a coordinator on a team with six wins. There needs to be some refinement and different focus, but talking about changing coordinators at this stage of the season makes little sense. BB sees what is going on and if he sees a great need, will modify some of McDaniels power and change the focus of our offense and O game plan. OTOH, an o coordinator cannot change the execution of the players.. that is what is wrong with this team.
sorry maybe i didnt convey it correctly..iam not asking a replacement for mcdaniels as a soln , that is very fact i mentioned in the first post...he is what he is and we have to work around it.."if changing off coord is the soln it cant happen this week anyway." was probably the wrong thing i said..by this week i meant at this pt of time...
iam not one of those ,bench brady, mcdaniels must go now ,plan for 2007..fans:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back