PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Officiating wave of the future? Woman to officiate NFL game for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't think of examples that would lead to the political forum? You're the one trying to make a point here -- I can't read your mind. (Thinking I can is a decidely female trait, btw ;) )

You're either ducking the question or you think that stereotypes apply to all members of the stereotyped group.

this has nothing to do with political correctness, and the fact that you're resorting to that shows the weakness of your "argument."

No, it wasn't, which is why you're continually either moving the goalposts or refusing to elaborate.

Parenting is different from mothering is different from fathering. If you don't understand that, you're right, there's nothing more to say.

I've ducked nothing. I've made it very clear that I had just one initial point. You've tried to make this a wider discussion, and you've been doing so, in part, by making the same sorts of statements you're railing against. I simply refuse to do that because of the likelihood that the thread would get moved.

Personally, I think it is inspirational that this woman is strong enough to head into what are clearly shark infested waters. Whether the sad minority of bigots like it or not, female referees are here and there will likely be more of them in the future.

Don't like it? Well, not to worry. You can always move to Saudi Arabia.
burqa.jpg

:D

Personally, I think it is inspirational that this woman is strong enough to head into what are clearly shark infested waters. Whether the sad minority of bigots like it or not, female referees are here and there will likely be more of them in the future.

burqa.jpg

Very likely already there...

burqa.jpg

An opinion on whether or not a female should be on the field during an NFL game does not make a person a bigot.

Funny how one of the definitions of a bigot is prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own.

An opinion on whether or not a female should be on the field during an NFL game does not make a person a bigot.

Funny how one of the definitions of a bigot is prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own.
Are female cheerleaders OK on the field?

Actually, it is precisely the definition.

bigotry (ˈbɪɡətrɪ)

— n , pl -ries
the attitudes, behaviour, or way of thinking of a bigot; prejudice; intolerance

Someone who believes an individual person cannot do a job based solely on gender, race, creed, is both prejudiced and intolerant. Every person deserves a chance to show they meet with the specified requirements.

In this case, it is even worse since she has already passed whatever the ref staff physical requires of any ref. So people already know she met with the qualifications.

Actually, it is precisely the definition.

Someone who believes an individual person cannot do a job based solely on gender, race, creed, is both prejudiced and intolerant. Every person deserves a chance to show they meet with the specified requirements.

In this case, it is even worse since she has already passed whatever the ref staff physical requires of any ref. So people already know she met with the qualifications.

Qualifications to be a replacement ref, basically a scab. Can you tell me what those qualifications are? The NFL locked out the real refs. They are using these people as leverage. Aren't some from HS and D3?

Qualifications to be a replacement ref, basically a scab. Can you tell me what those qualifications are? The NFL locked out the real refs. They are using these people as leverage. Aren't some from HS and D3?

Let me google that for you

She is held to the same bar as her male peers. That is all that matters here. Keep in mind, we are talking about employment. Equal opportunity is a requirement by law.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that solution opens up a whole new can o' worms. Men are, on average, physically stronger and faster than women so such standards are considered (by some) to be inherently sexist. That's why most organizations who do have physical standards, such as the U.S. military for example, have separate standards for women as they do for men.

Since the NFL isn't exactly in the business of saving lives, that solution you propose would be a never ending P.R. nightmare.

NOT EXACTLY True.

While generic membership standards (fitness tests, height-weight standards etc) are adjusted by both age and sex; JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS in the military are EMPHATICALLY NOT.

To be an artilleryman you must be able to lift 120lb objects repetitively (curiously -the weight of the largest artillery shell), to be a mechanic you have to be able to lift and carry a 55lb box some distance (? 20 yards - I forget) (curiously - the weight of the heaviest tool box).

I absolutely think any female refs should have to meet the same job specific standards as male refs (not some graded down percentage). OF COURSE, the trouble is - I don't think the NFL has any such standards.

But that said (that females could ref); I respect Joker's basic premise (opinion) that it should be a male only arena is a valid opinion; even if I don't care that much if it doesnt carry the day (as long as standards point is upheld).

(and I also dont get all caught up in his 'ranting' as Deus calls it. That is just part of the 'character of the board' that makes reading this page fun.)

One other note nobody has talked about; it was only a couple of years ago that there was that female kicker at a college (a school in colorado or michigan?). There was some talk back then about a female kicker going to the nfl someday. So it isn't impossible that you could see that someday too.

:)eek:eek:ops, sorry this is going to set Joker off. [actually I'm not sorry - it will be a good rant-read.;)]

Note: I originally posted this thread thinking we would talk more about the strike; guess I should have known better.

I've ducked nothing. I've made it very clear that I had just one initial point. You've tried to make this a wider discussion, and you've been doing so, in part, by making the same sorts of statements you're railing against. I simply refuse to do that because of the likelihood that the thread would get moved.

And now you're just making things up.

NOT EXACTLY True.

While generic membership standards (fitness tests, height-weight standards etc) are adjusted by both age and sex; JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS in the military are EMPHATICALLY NOT.

To be an artilleryman you must be able to lift 120lb objects repetitively (curiously -the weight of the largest artillery shell), to be a mechanic you have to be able to lift and carry a 55lb box some distance (? 20 yards - I forget) (curiously - the weight of the heaviest tool box).

I absolutely think any female refs should have to meet the same job specific standards as male refs (not some graded down percentage). OF COURSE, the trouble is - I don't think the NFL has any such standards.

But that said (that females could ref); I respect Joker's basic premise (opinion) that it should be a male only arena is a valid opinion; even if I don't care that much if it doesnt carry the day (as long as standards point is upheld).

(and I also dont get all caught up in his 'ranting' as Deus calls it. That is just part of the 'character of the board' that makes reading this page fun.)

One other note nobody has talked about; it was only a couple of years ago that there was that female kicker at a college (a school in colorado or michigan?). There was some talk back then about a female kicker going to the nfl someday. So it isn't impossible that you could see that someday too.

:)eek:eek:ops, sorry this is going to set Joker off. [actually I'm not sorry - it will be a good rant-read.;)]

Note: I originally posted this thread thinking we would talk more about the strike; guess I should have known better.

You're right, the are no physical requirements or tests to pass other than they would like them to be "in shape."

Educationally only a HS diploma is required.

The only NFL requirements are experience based.

Let me google that for you

She is held to the same bar as her male peers. That is all that matters here. Keep in mind, we are talking about employment. Equal opportunity is a requirement by law.

According to that idea women should be able to try out for NFL football teams and why not? As I mentioned earlier we had 4 girls tryout for our high school football team and participate in many practices.

It's an all-male sport and some would like to keep it that way on the purest level, how does that make them a bigot?

I have no problem with women refs personally, it looks like a job based more on brains than brawn from what I can tell, although I can see how a hot female ref could become a distraction to men on the field.:p

Last edited:
And now you're just making things up.

I didn't make up anything at all. But, If it makes you feel better to pretend I'm ducking you when I'm not, you feel free to go down that road.

I know this is a Patriots website, but, ehhh, why so polictical??

According to that idea women should be able to try out for NFL football teams and why not? As I mentioned earlier we had 4 girls tryout for our high school football team and participate in many practices.

It's an all-male sport and some would like to keep it that way on the purest level, how does that make them a bigot?

Apples/Oranges.

Discrimination against employment as a referee based solely on gender would be against the law. If a specific person can do the job but someone feels they should be denied based on gender, that would make that someone a bigot.

I don't know if sports teams themselves would fall into this category. I tend to doubt it.

Fun exercise: look at any of the comments on this thread about how tradition/culture innately dictates that only men be on the field. Now, replace replace women and football with black people and baseball. Congratulations, you've travelled back to the 1940s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes