PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Seau signed, Rasby released, TE Luzar signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I was fired up about Chad Brown because I thought he would be the next Phifer/Cox/Harrison/Washington/Dillon sort of signing. A guy that was experienced and ready to knock the snot out of people. But Brown never did show up.

This year, I'm not sure whether to view Seau as another Brown or another Cox/Phifer.

But for now I feel happy about the signing, maybe not as overjoyed as some of you, but cautiously optimistic.

Can he take on blocks and play two gap????

I'm looking forward to Seau and Harrison reuniting, I think that may provide a spark in the backfield.

This move is strange to me, I just dont get it, but then again I'm not making the decision.

I haven't been reading all 8 threads about the Seau signing so please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but why wouldn't the Dolphins retain his rights? Is it because of years of service or in the league? Did the Dolphins not object to it? Could they have? And if they couldn't have fought this signing, why doesn't that piss-ant Branch do it? I always thought the previous team retain the players right.

Willie55 said:
This move is strange to me, I just dont get it, but then again I'm not making the decision.

I haven't been reading all 8 threads about the Seau signing so please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but why wouldn't the Dolphins retain his rights? Is it because of years of service or in the league? Did the Dolphins not object to it? Could they have? And if they couldn't have fought this signing, why doesn't that piss-ant Branch do it? I always thought the previous team retain the players right.

They cut him in March.

Last edited:
He was released in the spring by the Fins...as far as Graham goes..I doubt its a trade to Dallas. Rasby was a good blocker..so??? Maybe that means Graham is ready to play..(Rasby taking Graham's place..so to speak..) but Luzar?? Interesting..

Seau will hold a conference call at 6:30, per Reiss.

Willie55 said:

The Dolphins cut him in the spring, (I read). When he didn't get an offer he liked he retired a few days ago.

pats1 said:
What?!?

Luzar has a grand total of 4 career catches, hasn't played since 2003, and only has 1 career start. He's no Tony Gonzalez.

C-A-M-P F-O-D-D-E-R.

Rasby was as good of a blocker you can find. His release says something.

Yeah but Daniel Graham is no Tony Gonzalez either... I wish he were.

Luzar I assume is being brought in for his blocking ability - because as we all pointed out, it ain't for his offensive production

I was expecting Rasby to be cut regardless - to me the fact that they brought in another TE - and a veteran at that - means they are actually considering ANOTHER tight end to keep on the roster in addition to Watson, Thomas, Mills, and presumably Graham.

Unless someone thinks that Thomas or Mills are going to be cut, that's 5 TEs on the roster ... unless they think that there's a chance injury (or anything else) could create an opportunity for another veteran

so I stand by my initial gut reaction - the swapping of Rasby for Luzar means there's serious concern that one of our 4 leading TEs might not be available in the season

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how much influence Harrison had with Pioli and BB on the signing of Seau. Given this, I still believe that they need to add additional depth at ILB, some of the guys slotted there right now are strictly special teamers.

I see the Rasby release as BB rewarding a veteran for a good job by giving him a chance to catch on elsewhere during the preseason - if he doesn't, I expect him to remain on the shadow roster.

Luzar sounds like a Dante special, 6'7" 265, try him out in preseason as a blocking TE and bring him back in the off-season as another OT candidate. He'll probably have the entire season to gain weight, then get it fine tuned by Woicik and Nash.

Seau, we'll see.

Canada's #1 Pats Fan said:
It will be interesting to see how much influence Harrison had with Pioli and BB on the signing of Seau. Given this, I still believe that they need to add additional depth at ILB, some of the guys slotted there right now are strictly special teamers.

Anything that keeps Beisel out of the defense and on special teams is most welcome. The guy has the worst football fundamentals I have ever seen.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
BOX: Is 'Dante Special' anything like 'Blue Light Special'? ;)
Yes, but distinct from 'Blue Plate' special. :eek:

JoeSixPat said:
Interesting name though - nothing says "winner" like Luzar

And nothing says OW like "Seau."

Reiss reports Seau has taken #55.

snoopdoggwilliemachl4.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Rasby era is over. Let's say hello to the Seau era. :) I'm kinda pumped if he can give us even 1 good year that fills a big gaping hole. Yes I think BB will use Seau in situations that will suit his strengths rather than as an every down starter. But hey even 1 or 2 downs a series can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
italianpatthepatriot said:
with Seau signing what will happens to the eventual trade with DAL ?

I think that trade is still working.

The Seau signing removes the pressure to get just any body to fill in though until Tedy gets back.

I think it opens the opportunity to get a better player with a higher ultimate upside. This could go two ways.

For a sure upgrade and more proven player, than perhaps a Bradie James.

Alternatively, for a longer time horizon, but higher ultimate possibility perhaps an Ollie Hoyte...

It's highly unlikely that Luzar is anything but camp fodder, especially since the rookie Thomas has been overworked. Most likely the Pats gave Rasby a peek and now figured they ought to look at someone younger. Both Rasby and Luzar seem to be for future reference only, in case of injury, etc.

That being said, I speculated a few days ago in the Dallas trade thread that the Tuna wants a bookend to go with Witten, who's not the blocker Graham is, since Parcells wants to grind his way to the SB on the backs of Jones and Barber while Bledsoe throws the occasional bomb.

The Pats drafted two TE's, well, at least one in Thomas as Mills seems bound for the H-back slot. Combine that move with the complete lack of extension talks for Graham and one could easily conclude that Daniel is trade bait.

Luzar scouting report (Sporting News)

6-7 265 Age 27
"Has massive size, better than adequate ball skills and a strong work ethic. Could be a red zone stud. Will run over defenders but is stiff and a bit clumsy. Doesn't change direction well, isn't a smooth route runner and won't create much separation against man coverage. Isn't a big-play threat. Is an adequate short-area blocker but is lost in space."

I'll take it!

Re: Luzar scouting report (Sporting News)

shakadave said:
6-7 265 Age 27
"Has massive size, better than adequate ball skills and a strong work ethic. Could be a red zone stud. Will run over defenders but is stiff and a bit clumsy. Doesn't change direction well, isn't a smooth route runner and won't create much separation against man coverage. Isn't a big-play threat. Is an adequate short-area blocker but is lost in space."

I'll take it!

I don't know when that review was written, but it sounds old as he's not shown much in ball skills that I can see

I actually like Box-o-rock's "Dante Special" theory.

6-7 and 265 isn't all that big for that height - whether he's a blocking TE or a OT project, adding 30 lbs shouldn't be all that difficult, and in taking a role that requires less movement he could really be something

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents