PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Seau signed, Rasby released, TE Luzar signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
rookBoston said:
Shame about Rasby. But we wont miss him.

Seau makes us a legitimate SB contender... assuming Branch shows up and Jackson finds his feet.

"Seau makes us a legitimate SB contender"

What have you seen from Junior Seau in the past 4 years that would lead you to believe that he is the missing component that we needed in order to be a legit SB contender......?? Please tell me,.....

Last edited:
Willie55 said:
This move is strange to me, I just dont get it, but then again I'm not making the decision.

I haven't been reading all 8 threads about the Seau signing so please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but why wouldn't the Dolphins retain his rights? Is it because of years of service or in the league? Did the Dolphins not object to it? Could they have? And if they couldn't have fought this signing, why doesn't that piss-ant Branch do it? I always thought the previous team retain the players right.

Because Junior Seau did nothing for them while in Miami.....they CUT him outright back in March........very interesting signing

Last edited by a moderator:
I would of thought were already a Super Bowl contender?

Junior Seau's signing does not make us a superbowl contender. We already are one. His signing though will make our run to the superbowl this year more likely in my opinion because even at 37, he is still is a better LB than many of the ones we have now.

Re: Luzar scouting report (Sporting News)

JoeSixPat said:
I don't know when that review was written, but it sounds old as he's not shown much in ball skills that I can see

I actually like Box-o-rock's "Dante Special" theory.

6-7 and 265 isn't all that big for that height - whether he's a blocking TE or a OT project, adding 30 lbs shouldn't be all that difficult, and in taking a role that requires less movement he could really be something

For a Dante OT conversion you need "time" to go to school on PS. and Luzars PS elegibiility appear long gone. I don't think this is the course of acton at all.

AzPatsFan said:
For a Dante OT conversion you need "time" to go to school on PS. and Luzars PS elegibiility appear long gone. I don't think this is the course of acton at all.
Perhaps, but you have a veteran TE who would seem to have the basic blocking skills down, you work him in for some pre-season play to test that blocking in real world situations and give it some fine tuning, then turn him over to Woicik for his shadow roster regimen. He gets cut and leaves here with a training program designed by Dante and Woicik, bring him back for a "try out" in November to see how he is progressing and sign him to a future's contract in January. Then you have the entire off-season program to polish your stone, maybe limestone, maybe gem, what me worry? Sure it's a fantasy, but it passes the time.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Perhaps, but you have a veteran TE who would seem to have the basic blocking skills down, you work him in for some pre-season play to test that blocking in real world situations and give it some fine tuning, then turn him over to Woicik for his shadow roster regimen. He gets cut and leaves here with a training program designed by Dante and Woicik, bring him back for a "try out" in November to see how he is progressing and sign him to a future's contract in January. Then you have the entire off-season program to polish your stone, maybe limestone, maybe gem, what me worry? Sure it's a fantasy, but it passes the time.
I think you nailed it...shadow roster and next year possibility...the Pats do not think of just this year..but of the future as well and balance it all. No, I doubt he will make it this year, but if he works hard does what is needed..who knows?? Good observation and speculation..I totally agree..

stcjones said:
"Seau makes us a legitimate SB contender"

What have you seen from Junior Seau in the past 4 years that would lead you to believe that he is the missing component that we needed in order to be a legit SB contender......?? Please tell me,.....
I assume what he meant is that Seau helps filll the one gaping hole we have (once Tedy is back). He may not even be average but he should be good enough to to wreck the entire defense all by himself like some others might.

stcjones said:
Because Junior Seau did nothing for them while in Miami.....they CUT him outright back in March........very interesting signing
That was a salary cap move, he would have made over $2M. I don't know if they had any interest in re-signing him but Junior wanted to go to a team with a real chance to win, not just any team that would sign him.

smg93 said:
Junior Seau's signing does not make us a superbowl contender. We already are one. His signing though will make our run to the superbowl this year more likely in my opinion because even at 37, he is still is a better LB than many of the ones we have now.

B I N G O and BINGO was his name...

If we get 16 games out of Seau, at 90% "Vintage Seau" level of play, we probably chop 1/2 yard per carry off what threatens to be a porous run D. If he actually starts 8 and we chop 1/4 ypc, that is still more than chopping off 0 ypc.

The real question is whether this makes us better or worse. It's a given we're a SB contender, that is to say, one of the top 5 teams in the league, from where I sit (add in Seattle, whichever team is most for real in the NFCE, Colts, Pittsburgh, Broncos.) And of course you have to throw in the "big surprises" we're not thinking of.

But NE is consistently at the top of the pre-season "super bowl odds" charts, along w/the Colts... so the question isn't "does he put us over the top," it's "does he help us more or less than our worst backup linebacker?" The obvious answer is yes, and from the looks of things, he's a starter, not just there for depth.

If you can't get jazzed on this signing, I'm sorry, you just need some guy to hit you with the defibrulator paddles.

CLEAR!!!!

__________/\____/\____/\ <-- we got a heartbeat...

PFnV

What a lousy bunch of fanboi some of you are. Seau will not make Pats a contender. He's 37. All he can do for us is situational work. Of course, his presence maybe a plus, but let be realistic.

Handel said:
What a lousy bunch of fanboi some of you are. Seau will not make Pats a contender. He's 37. All he can do for us is situational work. Of course, his presence maybe a plus, but let be realistic.
The Patriots ARE a contender regardless, in case you haven't noticed. Plugging the biggest hole can make a HUGE difference. Sorry, bud.

Handel said:
What a lousy bunch of fanboi some of you are.
I guess you'll be looking elsewhere for a less lousy group of fans if we suck so bad. See ya.

Handel said:

Is there any reason he can't play Bryan Cox' role from 2001? Vet with attitude to play 12-18 plays a game?

dryheat44 said:
Is there any reason he can't play Bryan Cox' role from 2001? Vet with attitude to play 12-18 plays a game?
Not at all....maybe 20-30 plays...THAt will be a big help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes