PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Pre-Season Game Thread

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 2h
Looks like everyone jumped the gun on the "end of the 2-TE offense" in NE. #Patriots opened the game with 7 straight multiple-TE sets.

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 2h
Marcus Benard was ubiquitous, with 5 tackles (1 TFL), a sack and a QBH. Could be what #Patriots were looking for in Trevor Scott last year.

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 1h
Thompkins has a lot of David Patten's qualities. Mature player. Twice directed/corrected others (Boyce and Edelman) where to line up.
Expand

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 1h
Expect "workmanlike" and "Thompkins" to appear a lot together. No flash. Just a physical, disciplined, smart WR who gets open & makes catch.

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 58m
Hopefully last night puts an end to the "Dobson-catches-everything" myth. 2 recs in 7 targets. Traps ball in his chest too. Still good tho.

I thought Dobson was OK. KT definitely outshone him and I thought he didn't work hard at all on that one fade-ish route in the endzone.

9KfYV.gif

He didn't look good last night though. You're right about that.

Sign the beast. She is awesome.

Is there a highlight video available anywhere? I tried NFL.com and the Pats site and was given the same "video not available" mesage, what the hell? :bricks:

PatriotsXLVIII ‏@PatriotsXLVIII 58m
Hopefully last night puts an end to the "Dobson-catches-everything" myth. 2 recs in 7 targets. Traps ball in his chest too. Still good tho.

This reads like someone who viewed that game through an agenda prism. Other than the looks from Brady, the passes were sprayed all over the place. Not a lot of meaningful context to the "2 for 7" stat.

This reads like someone who viewed that game through an agenda prism. Other than the looks from Brady, the passes were sprayed all over the place. Not a lot of meaningful context to the "2 for 7" stat.

Dobson couldn't get separation, and he couldn't catch the ball. If he was a UDFA instead of a 2nd round pick, people would be wondering how he was going to make the team based on last night.

Dobson couldn't get separation, and he couldn't catch the ball. If he was a UDFA instead of a 2nd round pick, people would be wondering how he was going to make the team based on last night.

Dobson got plenty of separation numerous times throughout the game. The fade pass in the endzone would have been called Defensive PI since the CB had an arm bar up to prevent Dobson from getting past.

Dobson had 1 throw from Brady which he caught. 2 From Mallett, one of which he dropped. and 4 from Tebow which were horribly thrown and basically uncatchable.

Not sure how you can bash Dobson for that. .

Dobson played well with Brady; he made a very good catch against 2 defenders for 20+ yards, he did clearly drop a pass by Mallett that he should have caught, I felt it was a combination of Mallett throwing 100mph and Dobson hearing footstep behind him, the other target was behind him from Mallett. In terms of his reps with Tebow that was clearly more Tebow over or under throwing him.

I did think Dobson had separation on a few plays and I also saw what you’re suggesting and that is a lack of separation; I think his game is more about being able to outduel his defender either by using his size or going higher to get the reception. I do not think Dobson is a player like Jackson who is going to turn on the burner and put 5 yards between him and his defender.

That's a massive overreaction if I've ever seen one. Dobson was open on at least four of the plays where the camera was following him -- the big gainer from Brady, the out he caught from Mallett, the probable TD he dropped from Mallett, and the slant that Mallet threw way behind him when they were backed up in their own end zone. The Tebow throws were heaves where he had no chance to make a play -- in fact he did well to break up an INT on one of them.

Dobson may take a little longer than Thompkins to gain Brady's trust, but he did some nice things in his first game. That was a tough catch on the Brady throw. The out he ran was very nice. DBs were giving him cushion a lot last night, which suggests to me he made some plays downfield in practice all week. All he has to do to be a big contributor to this offense (which has possession receivers like Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, Vereen and maybe Thompkins) is be a viable threat downfield. Let's see how he does when he has an actual quarterback throwing to him all game.

Re: Re: Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Pre-Season Game Thread

That's a massive overreaction if I've ever seen one. Dobson was open on at least four of the plays where the camera was following him -- the big gainer from Brady, the out he caught from Mallett, the probable TD he dropped from Mallett, and the slant that Mallet threw way behind him when they were backed up in their own end zone. The Tebow throws were heaves where he had no chance to make a play -- in fact he did well to break up an INT on one of them.

Dobson may take a little longer than Thompkins to gain Brady's trust, but he did some nice things in his first game. That was a tough catch on the Brady throw. The out he ran was very nice. DBs were giving him cushion a lot last night, which suggests to me he made some plays downfield in practice all week. All he has to do to be a big contributor to this offense (which has possession receivers like Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, Vereen and maybe Thompkins) is be a viable threat downfield. Let's see how he does when he has an actual quarterback throwing to him all game.

Aside from Brady and the offensive line (for the first few minutes mind you), Deus is way over the top down on everyone. So take with a grain of salt please.

Dobson played well with Brady; he made a very good catch against 2 defenders for 20+ yards, he did clearly drop a pass by Mallett that he should have caught, I felt it was a combination of Mallett throwing 100mph and Dobson hearing footstep behind him, the other target was behind him from Mallett. In terms of his reps with Tebow that was clearly more Tebow over or under throwing him.

I did think Dobson had separation on a few plays and I also saw what you’re suggesting and that is a lack of separation; I think his game is more about being able to outduel his defender either by using his size or going higher to get the reception. I do not think Dobson is a player like Jackson who is going to turn on the burner and put 5 yards between him and his defender.

Amendola
Thompkins
Edelman
Dobson
Boyce
Aiken

Rank them in terms of their ability to get separation last night.

Ridley & Blount - The new Smash & Dash.

If by easy you mean almost impossible to catch because the throw was whipped behind him, sure.

You know he wasn't talking about that pass. He was referring to an outright drop, when Aaron simply started running before catching a routine pass. It might have resulted in only a FG instead of a TD.

Yeah, Deus has been banging the "Wideouts are TERRIBLE!" drum for a while, and it seems as if that is coloring his commentary. I suspect we are seeing the same thing with Collins as well. Both simply looked like rookies, i.e. "they did some things well and some things they'd like to have back." Nothing more, nothing less.

Re: Re: Official Patriots vs Eagles Post Pre-Season Game Thread

Yeah, Deus has been banging the "Wideouts are TERRIBLE!" drum for a while, and it seems as if that is coloring his commentary.

Insulting Belichick for his drafting abilities (and trades) is his favorite passtime (the second is being condescendingly insulting in his posts and calling anyone that has an issue with it a sheep or a homer, stupid or a kool-aid guzzler).

Its going to take a lot of hot air out of his sails if Belichick hit on this receiving corps.

The following is probably my own hyperbole but I feel that he'd actually rather have the Patriots stink and him be right if it meant being able to pretend in his head that he'd actually be a better GM than Belichick.

Yeah, Deus has been banging the "Wideouts are TERRIBLE!" drum for a while, and it seems as if that is coloring his commentary. I suspect we are seeing the same thing with Collins as well. Both simply looked like rookies, i.e. "they did some things well and some things they'd like to have back." Nothing more, nothing less.

This is one of the sillier posts around today, particularly given the reportage of the game.

This is one of the sillier posts around today, particularly given the reportage of the game.

Saying two rookies looked like inconsistent rookies in their very first preseason game is silly? :confused:

You might want to look in the mirror, my friend. ;)

Saying two rookies looked like inconsistent rookies in their very first preseason game is silly? :confused:

You might want to look in the mirror, my friend. ;)

No, the attempt to analyze me and my commentary was silly.

No mirror needed.

No, the attempt to analyze me and my commentary was silly.

No mirror needed.

Well, if you're not going to look into it anyway, you're right, it's probably not needed.

Not sure how anyone could watch that game last night and not be encouraged. The surest sign that things went well was how stoked Brady looked. He hasn't seemed that happy in years. Maybe these receivers aren't All-Pros, and maybe GM Deus could've picked better, but the team -- and its famously demanding, Grumpy-Gus, truck-no-mistakes quarterback --sure seemed pleased with them.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back