Official 1st/3nd Round 2007 NFL Draft Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st Aaron Ross
1st David Harris
3rd Michael Bush
4th Eric Weddle

We assume no trades here.

24 - Paul Posluszny (if Nelson is here, that's the pick though. I don't think he will be)
28 - Michael Griffin (if nelson is drafted, this becomes D. Harris)
3rd - Tony Hunt
4th - Josh Gattis

I think this whole draft for the Patriots hinges on if Reggie Nelson makes it to 24.

Re: Official 1st/2nd Round 2007 NFL Draft Predictions

Aaron Ross DB from Texas

Ryan Kalil Center from USC

Another OL early you heard it hear first.

Patriots will trade one pick out of round 1 for a round 2 pick and something else.

Can Kalil convert to tackle or guard? This team just re-signed its center.

Re: Official 1st/2nd Round 2007 NFL Draft Predictions

The most likely scenario is Staley at #24 and R. Nelson at #28. This is not necessarily what I would do, just what I think the Pats are most likely to do. I think this is the way BB's board ranks the prospects who may become available in the late 1st rd:

1. Revis: they will trade up and target Revis in the unlikely event he falls into the late teens. If they are able to do so, they will then trade down from #28 to recoup picks. In that case, their next pick (a mid to late 2nd rdr) will be D. Harris/B. Leonard/K. Irons/J.Gattis, in that order of priority. If they stay put at #24, then...
2. Staley: at #24 if available. If not, then...
3. R. Nelson: I think they will draft him supposedly as a FS, but with the intended flexibility of moving him to CB if dictated by other personnel decisions. If Nelson is already gone, then...
4. Spencer: The most athletic players on the field, from a size/speed ratio standpoint, are TEs and 4-3 DEs/3-4 OLBs. The signing of A. Thomas does not preclude the drafting of Spencer, just as the drafting of Graham did not prevent the drafting of Watson. Colvin may be gone soon, Vrabel may be gone soon, just as Graham is now gone. If Spencer is off the board, then...
5. Harris: his merits have been dissected ad nauseum.

So the Pats' board, from the late 1st to the late 2nd rd, is
1. Revis
2. Staley
3. Nelson
4. Spencer
5. Harris
6. Leonard
7. Irons
8. Gattis

I agree with your board except for Leonard. Also think both Irons's will be 3rd round.

24 Staley
28 Harrell, DT TEnn
91 Irons CB Aub

24 Posluszny
28 Merriweather (Weddle/Merriweather near tossup in my mind.)

If indeed the Pats use both picks in the first round. I say something gets shelved for 2008, and the Pats get a 2nd rounder in the deal... though I don't see an Asante deal happening this weekend.

PFnV hath spoken.

Harris
Staley

Wendling

I like Staley too, guys, but I don't think he'll be there at #24.

24: Paul Posluszny
28: Reggie Nelson
91: Daymeion Hughes (his value has slipped so I can see him falling to RD 3, if not him then Irons).

24. David Harris LB Michigan
28. Ben Grubbs G Auburn

91. Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor

Someone should make a list of the first player everyone picked so on draft day we can all laugh when no one gets it right :cool:

I say we trade a few of our picks all together, for picks next year, or possibly to move up, as we don't have a whole lot of roster space left. That said, assuming they don't, and stay put at 24/28, I'll say Meriweather/Harris

Merriweather
Beason

Bush

1) Trade up for Willis

2) Posluszny and Ross

Merriweather
Beason

Bush

Merriweather
Beason

Bush
Cousin,
I would take those three in a minute. Good job. A lot on this thread say OL. OL is a need, but not that far up IMO. Saw Staley in the Senior Bowl. I was not impressed. What am I missing? He had his matador cape for the outside rushers like our SS Sanders did in the Championship game on Adai on the final Colts TD. I have seen enough of that. Makes me ill to think about it. Rodney must have cried. ........Safety works for me! Rather wait until 4 or 5 and get Denman from Fresno St. Why waste an early pick when there is not that much difference between the 1st round tackle and 4th round tackle?

Now to add to some bathroom visit reading, I threw in a trade about a division rival that makes sense but this is just a WAT! (Wild A** Trade) scenario.
DW Toys
Thoughts?

The Buffalo Bills had significant player loses for 2007 especially on the defensive side in Spikes, Fletcher-Baker and Clemment

Lossman is not going to win games with his arm. He's not bad and improving, but he reminds me of a Jeff Garcia when he plays for a crappy team. The Bills need to run.

The Bills brought in some FA beef this year for the line. It's true none were ever Pro Bowl caliber, but if they can get them to play together, they are huge. This line is built for "run it down your throat" type long drives. Now the irony. They get this O line for 2007 that is running back friendly, and then dump their running back. I guess they saw the writing on McGee and got what they could get.

Ah.. But Buffalo has the second most CAP space left in 2007 only behind Green Bay. They have $22.6 million left as of 4/13. I am going to show them how to spend it.

If I was the Bills GM there are a couple paths I would take.

OPTION ONE:
I see need in the position of RB first, obviously. LB is a need losing two top players. The Bills would have no problem moving fast rising star Keith Ellison over to ILB, small, he might not hold up to the beating. A starting corner and tight end. TE creates underneath opportunities for Lossman, and allow Lee Evans to not get doubled so often. Price is about done and Parrish has been mediocre at best. A big strong wide out would be an advantage to Buffalo in that the weather in November and December over a track meet guy. OL Depth is needed. Here's Round one :

Round 1 #12-Adrian Peterson: RB-Oklahoma= A long shot that he will still be there but let's look at the facts. The Browns will get tortured if they pass up on Ohio native Quinn. The Bucs, Cards, Skins, Vikes, Falcons, Dolphins, Texans and Niners are not really seeking a RB, although the Cards, Vikes and Texans might reconsider. The Texans are still "Bush embarrassed" and might pull the trigger. If one of the top OT's drops, Texans they will back off Petersen.

Round 2 #43-Dwayne Jarrett:: WR-USC= We discussed a big WR to compliment Evans. Did you say he must have hands too? Jarrett might have the best hands in the draft and his speed in snow and ice (Hey, he is a NJ guy!) will be as fast as Ted Ginn Jr. He want to prove he can be a better Keyshawn, not a lesser Williams. Plays fast. Torched #1 rated CB Leon Hall in the Rose Bowl.

Nice big target for Lossman to find when he starts to panic as usual five or six times per game.

Round 3 #74-Stewart Bradley: LB-Nebraska=A blue collar player (perfect for Buffalo) with the versatility and size to play MLB for the Bills. Can play inside or out. Great upside. Offers toughness. Starts at MLB for the Bills in 2007.

Round 3 #92-A.J. Davis: CB-NC State=Under the radar decent size CB. Good closing speed and awareness. Specialized in PBU. Can start at nickel right now and work in.

Round 4 #111-Scott Chandler:TE-Iowa=6'7" and 270lbs. One of the best pass catching TE's in the draft. Was a WR so he has some grace to his patterns and receiving ability. Has good focus and runs good routes. Blocking needs some NFL coaching, but the Bills have some TE with beef for that.

Round 5-NONE

Round 6 #184-Tim Duckworth: OG-Auburn= Good size. Solid run blocking guard. Offers solid depth on the OL. Good value at sixth round.

Round 7 #122- David Ball: WR-New Hampshire =BPA here actually. Great hands. Wonderful focus and gets open. Perfect possession receiver. Smart and good character. Will come back to the QB-Great for Lossman. Used to playing in cold and icy conditions. Broke Jerry Rice's NCAA records. Decent size at 6' 1" and 200lbs. This years Colson?

Round 7 #239- Jordan Palmer:QB-UTEP = Big Guy. Big Arm. Big-shot brother. Has ability. Needs to get the decision making process down.

OPTION TWO:

In option two of my Buffalo Bills Draft, we get creative and make a statement. The Bills have created an aura about themselves that if you get drafted by them, you learn the craft and then leave in four years. Now this is also affecting how a valued FA will perceive the Club. In my optional plan, I bring three top tier NFL players to Buffalo to make Buffalo a respected team as soon as the ink on the contracts signed is dry.

This will take a little assistance from some other teams. but will work for all. Buffalo has the CAP money to do these deals. It gives the team instant credibility to the Buffalo fans and the NFL players.

In this scenario;

1)Buffalo will trade their first round pick #12 to K.C. for RB Larry Johnson. Why not keep McGee? Johnson is a franchise RB, McGee was good but not up to Johnsons' value. The new revamped Bills big O line is made for Johnson as it was in K.C. before Shields and Roaf retired. This trade helps Johnson's career as well. The Bills might have the better O line right now. Now the Bills can sign him to a long term contract. K.C. realizes that resigning Johnson is the key to the Bills says o.k, the #12 pick works fine. K.C. Picks up a #12 in the first round in 2007, or gets nothing but a comp pick in 2009.

2) Buffalo needs another first rounder to make this next deal work. The only team who has multiple firsts is NE but they are in the same division. Ah yes! But if you remember NE has no trouble trading with the Bills as in the Drew Bledsoe deal a few years back. Drew played well for the Bills. The Pats in the 07 Draft accept the Bills #43 in the second round and #74 and #92 in the third for the Pats earliest first round choice at #24, and their sixth round choice of #180 (pretty close for all you Draft Value Chart professors and the Draft Chart Value police).

3) Buffalo turns around and offers first round choice #24 to the Bears for Lance Briggs. The Bears were talking up and down the board with sliding deals, but this gives them their first rounder and see you later Mr. Briggs. When the best player on your team preaches against management and is getting involved with verbal jousting with the media about his buddies contract, it's time for the buddy to go!

Two Pro Bowlers in Johnson and Briggs, at the peak of their careers and the Bills are one of the two or three teams who can pay them both and tie them up for a few years. Now build around them Bills! You have the O line, the D is not bad with a CB and another LB. Briggs is happy because this would be "his team" and Jauron plays a 43 D. Briggs can give you versatility because he has played ILB for Urlacher some as well as his usual OLB. This is a young team and Briggs at 26 and Johnson at 27 can bring this Club to the next level.

4) Now, one more cherry on top. Ed Hartwell, ILB FA . He is the last remaining puzzle. He was All Pro if he wasn't a LB when he played with Lewis in Balt. He has been nicked but will be ready for 07. Can be had for a fair deal. He's only 27! I'd swap Spikes and Fletcher-Baker for Briggs and Hartwell, WOULDN'T YOU?

O.K What do we have left in the draft? I would stay with some and add another. Here's the revised 07 Draft:

Round 4 #111-Scott Chandler:TE-Iowa=6'7" and 270lbs. One of the best pass catching TE's in the draft. Was a WR so he has some grace to his patterns and receiving ability. Has good focus and runs good routes. Blocking needs some NFL coaching, but the Bills have some TE with beef for that. You want Chandler as your 3rd down TE. Another big target for Lossman.

Round 5-NONE

Round 6 (from NE) #180- Anthony Arline: CB-Baylor= A 6' 2" CB with 4.3 speed. He slips down to the Bills because they are on a roll. All Conference and three INT's last year. Immediately he can play nickel to start and go up from there. A steal here.

Round 6 #184-Tim Duckworth: OG-Auburn= Good size. Solid run blocking guard. Offers solid depth on the OL. Another bulldozer for Johnson. Good value at the sixth round.

Round 7 #122- David Ball: WR-New Hampshire =BPA here actually. Great hands. Wonderful focus and gets open. Perfect possession receiver. Smart and good character. Will come back to the QB(Great for Lossman). He's used to playing in cold and icy conditions. Natural pass catching ability. Broke Jerry Rice's NCAA records. Decent size at 6' 1" and 200lbs. Could play in the NFL for years. This years Colson?

Round 7 #239- Jordan Kent: WR-Oregon = Late blooming football career. Basketball starter for the Ducks. His father is the Ducks BB coach. Great leaping ability. 6' 4" and 217lbs. 4.49 40. Could be a Gates like success. Great character. Nice kid. Big target. Graceful. A project.

THE PATS BENEFITS!

BUFFALO GETS:
NE. #24 IN ROUND ONE
NE. #180 (from AZ) IN ROUND SIX

NE GETS:
BILLS #43 IN ROUND TWO
BILLS #74 IN ROUND THREE
BILLS #92 IN ROUND THREE

This is all for fun cousins. I hope you enjoy it. Three first day choices for a low first rounder works for me. This trade of picks could even be considered between the two teams without the other FA scenarios. Would ya? That gives us #28,#43,#74,#91 and #92 on day one!

24. Meriweather (We have done our homework on him w/3 meetings.)
28. Harris (Whether we stay here or not I believe Harris will be our 2nd pick.)
91. Hughes

I was duped by the title of this thread. I really thought "3nd" was a mistype of "2nd", and not "3rd", so I omitted the #91 pick. It will go #24 Staley, #28 Nelson, #91 S Josh Gattis. If Gattis isn't available it will be RB Tony Hunt. If Hunt isn't available it will be ILB Brandon Siler.

24. Meriweather (We have done our homework on him w/3 meetings.)
28. Harris (Whether we stay here or not I believe Harris will be our 2nd pick.)
91. Hughes
This works well. Good picks.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes