PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

offensively...draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
im pretty impressed with the WR in college football this year...i danno maybe i just have been noticing it more but ive see alot of offensive threats and think the pats could pickup a WR that can contribute but get him in a later round...
i see calvin johnson and dewayne jarratt going early..sidney rice and ted ginn...mario manningham..i would love any those guys...throw in all the wideouts from florida (baker, caldwell, cornelius) and i also really like craig davis from LSU... oh and samarja from ND(not even ganna try to spell)i danno that was off the top of my head but ill im saying is that with his many picks we should be able to get some extra help on offense and besides that i am happy with our offense (maybe another OL)

honestly i have no idea who is a senior out of those guys...i dont think we need anymore TE we will have grahm,thomas, watson, mills (fb/te) and pass/faulk/evans/maroney/dillon at RB/FB

any thoughts/comments....i guess my point is we should spend most of our picks on defense because i am happy with caldwell/gaffney/gabriel/jackson/brown/(draft pick) with 1 year under their belts with brady...

Calvin - top 5 likely..out of reach

Jarrett - id like him..good body control..hands..like Keyshawn minus attitude

Ginn - idk..its all potential..he ownt make an impact early as a WR .. pass...

Samardazjia - hes not commited to football yet..a little overrated..a lot of his catches are simply jump balls or quick bubble screens.

Rice - a Spurrier WR..could be good or bad but not sure hes declaring this year

Manningham - hes not eligible for draft

Baker - hes a 2nd-3rd round WR.

only guys in first round i would take are Johnson or Jarrett...but i dont think we are in position to get them

other guys we might consider in round 2-3:
Dwayne Bowe - a big physical guy..like Michael Clayton
Dallas Baker
Steve Smith - not a burner..not great size but he finds open spots, runs great routes and has great hands

If some of the juniors declare this could be a real strong draft for WR. I have no problem with the Pats taking a WR early in the draft. Players I have liked so far that should be available when the Pats pick.

Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, Texas-El Paso
Height: 6-0 Weight: 184
Position: WR Pos2: KR
sub 4.4 speed
- playmaker in kicking \ punt and WR
- reminds me of a less polished Branch
- could be a good compliment for some of the bigger WRs the Pats now have (Gabriel, Jackson, etc.)
- should be there at end of round 2, maybe even round 3

Name: Robert Meachem
College: Tennessee Number: 3
Height: 6-3 Weight: 210
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2008
40 Time: 4.48 40 Low: 40 High:
- big, strong, fast, good body control
- excellent production in a top conference
- will be on the board at the end of round 1

good playes there

Meachem however is a 4.28-4.35 type of guy

he was scouted with a 4.28 40 and seeing him against Cal hes still fast. he added weight but his speed is still there but after the Tenn game he was asked "are you coming back?" he answered.."theres no reason to leave"

Last edited:
I'd also thought I heard Rice was staying although those things can change on a dime.

I expect we'll draft a TE as I think Graham will find his fortune elsewhere.

WR will be interesting as the entire crew (other than Troy who I am sure will re-sign here or retire) is signed for next year. It's entirely possible we'll not draft a WR.

Like some others I wouldn't mind drafting a stud LT and moving Light to the right side but that doesn't see to be in the offing as they've stuck with Light at LT since 2001 and have some decent RT from the last two drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents