PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Former Falcon makes admission to Malcolm Butler about SB LI

Such a great night. When people complain about how we're not a 14 win team anymore, I recall telling myself I could die happy as a Pats fan after that game. It's still true today.
Same here! This was the only SB that left me floating on a cloud for a whole week. Looking back I now understand that this game gave me closure for the peculiar kind of fan I was (long story). Now I can just relax and enjoy whatever comes, win or lose.

Last edited:
I loved SB51, but I’ve been chasing the perfect high since Butler intercepted that pass. That feeling was incomparable.

When I saw Arthur Blank celebrating, I thought in my mind that somehow they’ll still win the game. It was a surreal feeling of dread and confidence at the same time.
Same for me.

Not even strictly football, I've been chasing that high I felt after Butler's interception with any experience. I don't know if I've ever felt an explosion of joy or a complete 180 of emotions like that. Not sure what that says about my life.

At what point did you feel, that they really had a chance to win that game. I was so down at half-time and that was a huge mountain to climb. Was it the Hightower sack, the Edelman miraculous catch or some other play?

I felt the emotion building but was never certain until the game was actually over. Could not believe that comeback.

At what point did you feel, that they really had a chance to win that game. I was so down at half-time and that was a huge mountain to climb. Was it the Hightower sack, the Edelman miraculous catch or some other play?

I felt the emotion building but was never certain until the game was actually over. Could not believe that comeback.

Hard to say;

1. I really started to believe when they were still down 28-3 and Brady ran it up the middle on 3rd and long for a first down.

2. I knew it when Hightower made that sack. There was no doubt at that point.

I forgot to breathe in the last 90 minutes of the game. I was just muttering to myself, just this one play, please just this one play, and then the next and so forth. When “Toss to White, he’s in, Patriots win the SB!” happened, i ran around the house screaming at 04:00am, and when i finally managed to calm down a bit after 5 minutes of incomprehensible joy and madness, i realized i never saw the TD confirmed and a sudden shock hit me that it might not be over. I was scared to turn on the TV. When i did and the first thing i saw was 34-28 FINAL, i finally managed to take a deep breath.

The greatest game i ever saw and most likely will ever see. If i saw the game adapted in a film, i would never believe it for one second. And it happened to my favorite team.

I can see having a hard time keeping a team focused under those circumstances. But we all know what the Pats' coaching staff would have been doing then.

But this is astounding. There isn't a high school coach in the country that would have allowed that.

Given that lack of discipline and leadership, they should have to clean house from the top down and completely rebuild. Owner, coaches, players. Until every whiff of that is out of the franchise, nothing should work as it should.
It was the like the dreaded virus of all dreaded viruses- the Jetus Stankus- unleashed all its toxicity in their lockerroom at halftime.

Hard to say;

1. I really started to believe when they were still down 28-3 and Brady ran it up the middle on 3rd and long for a first down.

2. I knew it when Hightower made that sack. There was no doubt at that point.
The Hightower sack did it for me

I will watch that super bowl when I see it replayed from time to time and it takes me right back to where I was during each part of the game. I just remember being miserable at half time and some of the girlfriends at the party babbling about Lady Gaga and whether she really came down from the roof or something. Then I remember we finally scored and we missed the extra point and cursing Gostkowski's name. It wasn't until the Hightower strip sack that I really thought we had a chance.

It came in stages.

I nearly shut if off, but decided to hold on at least through the 3rd quarter. After the TD (and Gost miss) made it 28 - 12, I decided to keep watching because there was still that 1% chance they could pull it off (and I wasn't going to be the guy who went to bed and missed it).

The Hightower sack made it real. I didn't KNOW they were going to win, but that moment made the comeback more than a fantasy.

The other big moment for me was the holding penalty + sack that knocked the Falcons out of field goal range.

I forgot to breathe in the last 90 minutes of the game. I was just muttering to myself, just this one play, please just this one play, and then the next and so forth. When “Toss to White, he’s in, Patriots win the SB!” happened, i ran around the house screaming at 04:00am, and when i finally managed to calm down a bit after 5 minutes of incomprehensible joy and madness, i realized i never saw the TD confirmed and a sudden shock hit me that it might not be over. I was scared to turn on the TV. When i did and the first thing i saw was 34-28 FINAL, i finally managed to take a deep breath.

The greatest game i ever saw and most likely will ever see. If i saw the game adapted in a film, i would never believe it for one second. And it happened to my favorite team.
Reminds me of the snow bowl; when Tom lost the ball I turned off the TV and went to blow off steam. After what felt like an hour, I settled down and went back to get the post-mortem, only to see a ref announcing the call had been reversed. To this day I marvel at the fact that I came back at that very moment.

After the Brady pick 6, I thought it was over. When they were down 28-3 to open up the 3rd, I really thought it was over. I was at a Super Bowl party and everyone went outside while I watched the game in peace. The fair weather fans came back one by one as the score kept getting closer.

Same for me.

Not even strictly football, I've been chasing that high I felt after Butler's interception with any experience. I don't know if I've ever felt an explosion of joy or a complete 180 of emotions like that. Not sure what that says about my life.

Watching Seattle march down the field felt so inevitable after SB42 and SB46. That bobble catch took my soul out of me. All I could think about was:
  • 3-0 before Spygate; 0-3 after Spygate will be the team’s legacy, no matter how unfair.
  • They’re not coming back from a third SB loss in seven years.
  • My god, I ****ing hate Seattle.
  • After the most miserable Super Bowl, now time to brace for Deflategate as everyone piles on.
I still can’t believe he intercepted it…it seems like I’m still waiting for a replay to show the ball hit the ground.

Every Pats Super Bowl win came with a watershed moment. Just unbelievable drama.

I watched that SB at a party in Atlanta with 95% Falcons fans (the other 5% were neutral).
After the winning TD, I was running around like a madman around the poor host's theater room.

Such a great night. When people complain about how we're not a 14 win team anymore, I recall telling myself I could die happy as a Pats fan after that game. It's still true today.
To be honest, the pats never have to do another thing again and I could not ask for any more after the last two decades. I have no more credits with the football gods.

This will always be my favorite Super Bowl due to the fact that it filled the souls of haters with joy and happiness for 3 quarters and then very slowly and tortuously ripped that joy and happiness away into horror. It was a delight reading the SB threads on other teams forums.
Yep it was a slow grinding death. I have tried to find an atlanta forum where I could get a game thread on that game. It would be worth millions.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back