Welcome to PatsFans.com

Non-QB throwing the ball away

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SoCal Bong, Oct 2, 2007.

1. SoCal Bong

SoCal Bong Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

After seeing Tony Romo make that nice run after the snap that went over his head I got to wondering about throwing the ball away to minimize losing yardage. Last night Welker ran an end-around. If he could clearly see two defenders that he was not going to get past (before getting back to the line of scrimmage) would it be a bad idea to bail on the play and toss/throw/whip the ball out of bounds? Those end-around plays tend to be great (the defense bought it) or lousy resulting in a loss because the defense maintained their responsibilities.

How about a running back that runs out wide and finds a similar situation? Seems like as long as the player is confident that he's not being closely pursued behind him it wouldn't be too risky an option and it stops the clock which helps in certain circumstances.
  2. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

As long as he throws it beyond the original line of scrimmage, it would be okay.
  3. MrClutch

MrClutch Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Easier said than done. QB's always want to make the play, rather than lose a down. It's just different when you're the QB, and you want to really make the play.

I'm also talking from no experience here, except for Madden experience if that counts for anything...:)
  4. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -13

If it's a running play, I'd worry about the blockers having gotten past the line of scrimmage and the throw being a penalty for that reason.
  5. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Steve Largent has done this.

Regards,
    Chris
  6. solman

solman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is a really bad idea, just like the Welker lateral. It may save you some yards, but there is too high a chance of a game changing turnover.
  7. Isaac

Isaac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great point, I had wondered the same thing but hadn't thought of this.

Thanks.