PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Media outrage over John Fox's decision for Denver with 30 sec left in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lastly, I respect BB, but this war talk is BS. he's never won a war much less been to war, he doesn't know crap about war. I've got family in Afghanistan and they don't dig foxholes. The media eats it up but comparing a game to war is lame.

I could be wrong but I think he means from purely a strategic point of view. Tactics from wars are used in sports believe it or not. Maybe not now with all the guns but in the past when it was swords and shields it definitely was.

I don't know much about rugby but there's a wedge formation that they use in rugby or used to use(might be banned now) that came directly from roman tactics. In particular the British rebellion led by boudica which the romans stopped.

Last edited:
One thing I was just thinking about: I wonder if, be it the cold or the glove or wear and tear or whatever, but I wonder if they took the knee because they knew Peyton didn't have a long ball in him. I don't recall him take any shots down the field during the game .. anyone? I mean, you have Demaryius Thomas, a pretty good deep threat. And he only had three catches for 39 yards.

Seems like Peyton's teams have never had any balls.

Teams follow their leaders. Would you be more motivated to play your balls off with a guy like Tom Brady who when he has pressure in his face, steps up, plants his foot and throws while absorbing the shot. Or a guy like Peyton Manning who senses pressure, turns and runs like an 8 year old girl in a haunted house. Would you be more willing to let it all hang out for a guy who takes accountability and never blasts a teammate in public, or a guy who would throw his entire OL under the bus after a tough loss?

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
According to ESPN Stats and Information’s win probability model, Denver had a 97.2 percent chance of winning right before Jacoby Jones' TD.

Lastly, I respect BB, but this war talk is BS. he's never won a war much less been to war, he doesn't know crap about war. I've got family in Afghanistan and they don't dig foxholes. The media eats it up but comparing a game to war is lame.

I am a veteran of a few, and I do not take offense to the comparison, nor do I know veterans who take exception to the comparison. The comparisons between football and combat are well known. Great generals and admirals of the past and present have compared the two.

BB's references were to tactics generally with no reference to the wars today (he knew the Naval Academy team well as a child when his father coached there, and likely knew many officers who died in the Vietnam War, always speaking well of the school to this day). He certainly did not compare football to the personal experience of war that nobody can know if not there (I personally think that is lame).

BB reads about everything, and even non-soldiers can read about tactics. In general, you do not win wars by sitting in foxholes if that is all you do (holding your position). General Patton said the same with his speech to the Third Army in WWII (not my words, his): "I don't want any messages saying 'I'm holding my position.' We're not holding a goddamned thing. We're advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding anything except the enemy's balls. "

Last edited:
What Peyton Manning just did gives me goosebumps.

local denverpost is all over fox as are most broncos fans

Makes sense. The national media covers up and makes excuses for their "Chosen One" whilst the locals/fans assign blame where it is due...

I wrote yesterday in the game thread that the Broncos ultra-conservative game-plan on offense (especially on third down) played into the Ravens hands and allowed them to keep it close until they took their chance at the end and capitalize.

And then there was that 3rd and 7 Manning audible'd to a run? I mean, either he is afraid of success or he was more injured than anyone knew in the second half as his passes were of the dink and dunk variety had had nary a shred of zip.

No one talks about that Broncos 3rd and 7 situation just before the final Ravens possession in the 4th.

The Broncos have one of the most dangerous QBs in the NFL for over a decade behind center and what do they do on 3rd and 7?.......they run the ball with Hillman up the middle?......WTF?

This is why John Fox is a moron and will never win a championship as HC,if Shanahan was still there,they win that game.

The Broncos played all of the second half like they were playing not to lose instead of playing to win......and that formula always fails.

What Peyton Manning just did gives me goosebumps.

"They were backed up, they had two timeouts and he takes maybe one of the greatest knees I've ever seen. Haven't seen a knee that good since the 1957 NFL Championship game. Which reminds me of a knee Brett Favre took a few years back..."

Last edited:
Foxy is just not a good coach. Beli said it best this week...

"You don't win a war by digging a fox hole and sitting in it... you have to attack" - Bill Belichick.

Fox is like that awful College coach who gets a lead over the favourite team, then goes conservative and loses. Except the Broncos where the favourite. SMFH.

I would not be surprised if Lane F'n Kiffin was not questioning Foxy's coaching tonight.

OT/ Speaking of Lane Kiffin. I will never forgive that guy for his coaching againts ND. It should have been Bama Oregon in the NCG...

Didn't we talk about BB baiting Fox into going into his natural "conservative mode" last year?

My issue was that the Ravens D, on the drive before, had a couple of calls go against them and they were doing the Raven D implosion we've all seen before. It happens every time calls start going against them, they just get sloppier and sloppier. How did Fox and Manning not recognize that? I did, and I am a dumbass fan that watching football is just a hobby for.

Unless Fox thought Peyton would chuck another Pick 6? That is the only excuse I can see.

you could see his decision coming, broncos didn't attempt a play and kneeled at the end of first half with 3 timeouts and 36 seconds.

you could see his decision coming, broncos didn't attempt a play and kneeled at the end of first half with 3 timeouts and 36 seconds.

Perhaps the definition of conservative coaching is taking a knee with 3 timeouts when Peyton Manning is your quarterback.

Not sure "outrage" would really have been appropriate. Dierdorf did question the decision.

It was obviously idiotic. If a couple plays don't go well, just take a knee and run out the clock. They needed like 45 yards, it's a free shot to win. Stupid not to try.

Thanks peyton for making the ravens play 2 extra quarters;)

Lastly, I respect BB, but this war talk is BS. he's never won a war much less been to war, he doesn't know crap about war. I've got family in Afghanistan and they don't dig foxholes.

So one cannot know anything about a war unless they've been to a war?

Yeah, I'm sure Bill didn't pick anything up in the way of old school military tactics while going to school at Annapolis, or when he was an assistant under his father at the navy academy.

Unless you spend 6 months at basic, and then some time at a FOB you really dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes