PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Media outrage over John Fox's decision for Denver with 30 sec left in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe that decision when I watched the game. Even Dierdorf, who gets ripped on the board, questioned the decision at the time.

I couldn't believe that decision when I watched the game. Even Dierdorf, who gets ripped on the board, questioned the decision at the time.

Let that sink in folks, DIERDORF (correctly) questioned the call

That was bad, it probably wasn't as bad as not trying to get the first down with 2 minutes left though. I wonder how long it'll be until Manning ballwashers accept that these playoff failures/mismanagements remain with him regardless of his supporting cast and coaches. Somehow when it comes to playoff football his team and coaches always managed to 'let him down' no matter who they are and who they're playing.

Not the national mediots but the Donks fans are already turning on their rent-a-ringer QB. Many are having an epiphany that maybe there's a real reason Peyton is not a playoff QB but instead a shiny showroom vehicle not made for tough real world road use.

John Fox probably had flashbacks in his head of John Madden saying the Patriots should take a knee with 1:19 left in SB 36.

If Madden was recommending taking a knee with 1:19 left, it must've led him to think that taking a knee with 31 seconds was a no-brainerd.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
According to ESPN Stats and Information’s win probability model, Denver had a 97.2 percent chance of winning right before Jacoby Jones' TD.

This is why any and all "computer models" based on statistics* and NOT based direct computations from physical law need careful skepticism.

* OK I also exclude stats based quantum theory models which ARE valid

I am a veteran of a few, and I do not take offense to the comparison, nor do I know veterans who take exception to the comparison. The comparisons between football and combat are well known. Great generals and admirals of the past and present have compared the two.

BB's references were to tactics generally with no reference to the wars today (he knew the Naval Academy team well as a child when his father coached there, and likely knew many officers who died in the Vietnam War, always speaking well of the school to this day). He certainly did not compare football to the personal experience of war that nobody can know if not there (I personally think that is lame).

BB reads about everything, and even non-soldiers can read about tactics. In general, you do not win wars by sitting in foxholes if that is all you do (holding your position). General Patton said the same with his speech to the Third Army in WWII (not my words, his): "I don't want any messages saying 'I'm holding my position.' We're not holding a goddamned thing. We're advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding anything except the enemy's balls. "

All these years & I never knew Patton was gay :confused:

I know the media will have a field day with Fox's conservative offensive decisions at the end of the game.....but I see understand the 'not going for the first down' on the drive before.

By running the ball yes you were essentially playing to a punt, but in yesterday's situation I think that was the right move. Kill as much time as possible while relieving the Ravens of their timeouts. The Ravens had one minute to travel 70+ yards wiht no time outs. YOU MUST LIKE YOUR CHANCES ON DEFENSE in that situation. Of course, the defense blew it big time. I think that's your story, that ONE PLAY, not the ones that came shortly before it.

The Ravens won the game but perhaps the same could be said of their decision to run the ball off tackle 3 times in a row banking on a 49 yeard field goal in frigid temps. Their kicker is good ... but I thought that was way conservative. It worked for them ... but if he missed and they lost the conversation would switch.

John Fox probably had flashbacks in his head of John Madden saying the Patriots should take a knee with 1:19 left in SB 36.

If Madden was recommending taking a knee with 1:19 left, it must've led him to think that taking a knee with 31 seconds was a no-brainerd.

In all fairness to Madden ( and I am guessing) he must have been thinking about Brady being very young, the momentum of the game being in the Rams favor, etc.

I think Madden would not have advised taking a knee in yesterday's circumstances ( well unless he was taking into account Peyton's propensity to play "deep throat".)

Maybe he was afraid of Manning throwing a game-ending interception

oh wait

Re: No Media outrage over John Fox's decision for Denver with 30 sec left in the game

1:21 left in a tie game, no timeouts, from their own 17, a certain qb and coach played to win.

And I love any excuse to post the video. :rocker:

Final drive of Super Bowl 36. - YouTube

Yes! I remember John Madden, who was providing color commentary, recommending that the Pats run out the clock and go to OT and wondering why he was making such a stupid suggestion.

Re: No Media outrage over John Fox's decision for Denver with 30 sec left in the game

Harbaugh had an equally as bad idea in 2OT when he ran Rice down the middle at the 30 to compromise for a 48/49 yd kick. No effort to advance the ball on that final FG?

Since the kicker hit it, no one will remember. But bad strategy.

Not the national mediots but the Donks fans are already turning on their rent-a-ringer QB. Many are having an epiphany that maybe there's a real reason Peyton is not a playoff QB but instead a shiny showroom vehicle not made for tough real world road use.

I've been meaning to check Broncos/Colts message boards to see what the reactions are to yesterday's performance.

Manning runs the offense,
Manning chose to take a knee,
Manning chose to run on 3rd and 3

Fox is probably asking Manning WTF?????

Fox wouldve been crucified today if Baltimore scored a TD after it won the toss. Becuase manning touched the ball in OT people have softened the criticism.

Remember how BB was crucified for a week or so when he went for it on 4th and 1. What about Fox's decision today to take a kneel down with 30 seconds left in the game and 2 timeouts left, with arguably one of the best "regular season" QBs on his team? This was hardly mentioned on SC and NFLN. And to top it all here is what Trent Dilfer had to say about Peyton

"He was getting to know this team,the offesne, I would give him one season to recover from injury and another year to gel with the offense"

Really? what is Trent Dilfer smoking? Peyton is 36 years old, and Dilfer says that Peyton will be ready to win a SB 3 years from today.....:bricks::bricks::bricks:

Woody Paige lambasted John Fox for it. But I don't want to link his column because he's yet another of the media blowhards.

you run a draw and if you gain 15 yards, then you call TO and then are a few passes away from a FG to win the game.

I hope John Fox watched the last 30 seconds of the Seattle-Atlanta game.

Fox's decision there was really strange. Why not at least try a running play. If you pick up a few yards, you can decide what to do next. It's decisions like that that sometimes make me wonder if the conspiracy nuts who think NFL games are fixed may be onto something. But, really, I think it was just a bonehead decisions, which all coaches make now and then.

Fox's decision there was really strange. Why not at least try a running play. If you pick up a few yards, you can decide what to do next. It's decisions like that that sometimes make me wonder if the conspiracy nuts who think NFL games are fixed may be onto something. But, really, I think it was just a bonehead decisions, which all coaches make now and then.

Not Fox's call

The mediots have prattled for years that Peyton Manning is his own OC and calls all the plays

Try to keep up! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back