PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Arbitration for Nixon....

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Guess everyone wrong, no arbitration for Nixon... too bad thought he would fill utility role well, very disapointed about Loretta as he seemed to be a real asset and a consummate professional.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...x_decline_arbitration_for_nixon_three_others/

BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Red Sox on Friday declined to offer salary arbitration to outfielders Trot Nixon and Gabe Kapler, catcher Doug Mirabelli and second baseman Mark Loretta.

Nixon is the longest-tenured member of the Red Sox organization, a first-round draft choice in 1993 by then-general manager Lou Gorman. Nixon became the regular right-fielder in 1999 and has been a favorite of his teammates and fans for his aggressive play.

He has batted .278 with 133 homers and 523 RBIs but also made frequent trips to the disabled list, including last year, when he missed all of August with a strained right biceps.

Manager Terry Francona let Nixon tak

As a fan who started following the Red Sox in the late '50's, it pains me to say that this front office headed by Theo is almost as classless as the Dan Duquette front office. We have a team here where loyalty to the team and the fans is preached by Theo and Larry the loser and now in the last two years they have dumped 2 of the more loyal members of the Red Sox. Last year dumping Arroyo after he had signed for less in order to stay with this team, and now apparently dumping Trot who could still be useful as a fourth outfielder. Trot is still less scary than Pena in the field. We now will have a total horror show at the outfield corners with Manny and Pena in left and right. Hope that I am wrong and the team does well, but I have little or no respect for this front office and ownership group.

Willie Mo may be a bit too exciting in the field at this point in his career:D but he's still young and he can hit lefties.

Willie Mo may be a bit too exciting in the field at this point in his career:D but he's still young and he can hit lefties.
wily mo is nothing more than a dh and we already have one .nancy drew is going to be your right fielder anyway .

The new CBA allows for teams to negotiate and sign with their FAs even if they didn't offer them arbitration, so Nixon can come back if the team wants him to.

Last edited:
Drew will be in right and is an upgrade over Trot in just about every conceivable way. Wily Mo will only see right field if Drew gets hurt or needs a day off.

I would love Trot back as a 4th outfielder. Thanks to the change in arbitration rules which Foley mentioned there's still a chance of that (you no longer have to wait till may 1 to sign someone you don't offer arb). If trot were to come back though it would have to be at <$5M (I wouldn't be surprised if they could retain him at $3M really). He was looking at $6-8M in arbitration.

As for Loretta they had to move on. Pedroia is a 2B, is ready, and Loretta was blocking him. Loretta is on the downswing while Pedroia is assumably on the up.

Oh, and one more thing about Trot. Part of me doesn't want him back because Francona is incompetant. Francona would still bat him before Pena in the lineup and if they keep manny he'd probably use Trot as the 4th OF and Pena the 5th.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back