PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA looking into collusion between DEN-DAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
As PO'd the fan base is with Bend-Over-Bob, as long as he continues with the policy of giving Bill 100% football authority on personnel and everything but mega-deal spending, I'm not sure I want to take my chances on a new owner- yet.

For any of us who remember the ups and downs of Billy Sullivan, Victor Kiam and Orthwein checking out prices for U-Haul trucks I'll stick to the devil I know for now..

He is still one of the best owners in sports. This whole thing is a large reminder that owners are there for money and never should have been celebrated in the first place. Who gives an F about them other than taking our money to pay the athletes they do nothing for the sports they run.

He is still one of the best owners in sports. This whole thing is a large reminder that owners are there for money and never should have been celebrated in the first place. Who gives an F about them other than taking our money to pay the athletes they do nothing for the sports they run.

I think thats the aspect of NFL ownership the casual fan either doesn't understand or doesn't want to acknowledge. People were ecstatic when Bob bought the team from Orthwein in 1994. Depending on what you believe, Bob saw a great financial deal on a under-appreciated asset. That's why when Bob bought the stadium in 1988, he locked the team into the lease. He didn't do it b/c he loved the Pats, he did it b/c it was a good financial deal and he gained leverage over the owner. I'd contend that if he didn't own the stadium or didn't get the deal he wanted from Orthwein or the financing schedule he would have walked away.

Just like in 1998 when he threatened to move the team to Hartford. He had leverage and it would have been a sweet financial deal (and a very unpopular one) that clearly positioned the Commonweath of MA govt in a bad light. Once Emperor Finnegan coughed up the $60M for the infrastructure and worked out a deal for shared revenue for parking, etc. he got what he wanted and screwed Hartford over.

He also sued his father in-law way back when. Hes a pretty shrewd guy.

Bob didn't get to be worth $4b by making bad financial decisions when the business interests conflicted with his emotional attachments.

they just got the same exact deal. that looks pretty collusionary to me.

Both men just got huge deals. You can close this thread down, now.

"Dallas and Denver could be colluding!" .............
"Bryant got 5 years $70m!" ...(10 min later)... "Thomas got 5 years $70m!"

Uhhh...

Imagine if this was, say, New England and New Orleans being accused of collusion...

I can imagine the conversation at NFL HQ:

"What is this! This is clear collusion! Fine one of those teams a first round pick and dock them $30m in cap space!"
"Which team, sir? Denver or Dallas?"
"What? I thought this was New England! Forget I said that. In fact, go ahead and give Denver $30m extra cap space. Gotta help ol' Peytie out, right? Not fair to him that his team is cash strapped after paying his WR!"

The collusion allegation was a nice little bargaining tool by both agents to up the ante a little bit. It may have been a no no for the teams to collude but don't think for a minute those agents weren't on speed dial with each other comparing offers.
Let's see if the NFLPA continues the investigation without the support of the players ( who have now been 'paid') ala Butler and the OTA punishment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back