Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL Lockout has begun

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Deus Irae, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

Report: Lockout starts at midnight

Per Adam Schefter, via PFT:

Report: Lockout starts at midnight | ProFootballTalk
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Report: Lockout starts at midnight

[​IMG]
  3. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The NFL Network is now saying that the owners have locked out the players. Considering that the NFLN is owned by the NFL, I'll presume this to be factual and not a rumor.
  4. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -2

My Jersey:

Hey!!...who changed the g-dmed locks????...man...I got 8 wives and twelve mouths to feed..and that chiseler,Joey Bags the Jeweler, is only offering me 1/10% back on my ton and a half of gold chains and rings...dyam...how am I supposed to live on less than a mil a year????
  5. patsfanboy

patsfanboy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Report: Lockout starts at midnight

[​IMG]
  6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

While claims of things going nuclear are nice, Florio does point out an interesting fact that may force the NFL to end the lockout:

Antitrust lawsuit alleges that NFL has waived “sham” defense to decertification | ProFootballTalk

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

8. naF staP

naF staP Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Is it a lockout or a players strike? Or does it just depend on who's point of view you are looking at?
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It is a lockout, although a lot of people think the lockout will be declared invalid. But for now, it's a lockout.
  10. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Again, I haven't read through it, but I remember seeing something in the current CBA linking it to past ones. In any case, though, it is/was the same NFLPA, so that might suffice.
  11. naF staP

naF staP Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
  12. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

dose this mean there will be no NFL draft. and if there is one i heard someone say that you cant trade you have to stay at your spot and pick is that true ?
  13. Danielbaron1

Danielbaron1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You can trade other draft picks but no player trades
  14. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Looks like Tiki has to wait a while longer to make his comeback:rolleyes:
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This really sucks....
  16. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#18 Jersey
    **** you, everyone.
  17. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's unfortunate for sure and certainly disappointing that they NFLPA and owners have not been able to reach a compromise.

I'm hopeful that they will have reached an agreement sometime before TC.
  18. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The league really had no choice but to lockout. It is the lesser of two evils to battle through the courts. NFLN had their legal analyst for the festivities on last night, the Dean of Indiana U lawschool, and he said if an injunction against the lockout was granted it would be unprecedented. An employer has the right to close his business down. That is the easier battle to wage. The NFLPA's belief that language in the CBA of 1993 precludes the sham argument will likely be subject to interpretation of the exact language, which at first blush appears to require them waiting for the CBA to expire - which they did not because of other language which stated if they did they would have to wait 6 months to decertify...

Florio has a good explanation of the options the league had available. Had they not locked out the case they have to defend is a full blown challenge of all the rules they imposed being in violation of anti trust. And of course the final option would be to destroy the NFL as we know it by dismantling the collective (and revenue sharing and the draft and FA, etc) and elinimating any need to deal with a union by announcing it was every man for himself with 32 competing franchises free to do business as they see fit.

As midnight approaches, NFL has three choices | ProFootballTalk

At the end of the day if your primary concern is seeing the BS of lawsuit pressers and courtroom drama end and football as we've known it played in September allowing the lockout to fly would be the best way to insure that happens because that would tip the balance back to ownership and and the NFLPA would recertify in a hurry to avoid the pitchfork weilding 200lb+ horde descending on their trade association offices demanding their $200M in bonuses due since March and their shot at FA. One of Bill's favorite sayings is if you want to get a players attention, take away his stage.
  19. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#32 Jersey
    Damn, so is the 2011 season pretty unlikely?
  20. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not necessarily, because this will all end eventually with a settlement and a new CBA. It's just a matter now of not only how long it takes but how many billable hours the lawyers get to suck out of the pie before the players wake tf up.
  21. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

Lock out

The players can only strike if they are in a union.
  22. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    well if this thing drags into june, count on missing some games... there will be some football all be it a shabby product of it.. the draft is a joke this year, yeah we have all these picks, but there is no rookie mini camp , there is no training camp, you cant trade players .. its a shame that it has come to this, shame on both parties, but i put the blame squarly on the owners who backed out of this deal, a deal that was voted 30-2, in 06, demauice smith is not no great leader, but the owners are treating the players like objects....
  23. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    One thing I don't get is ESPN is spinning it as the 2011 season is toast. Isn't this false?

Sure, free agency, the draft, rookie minicamps, minicamps, and some of training camp could be compromised.

But based on what I'm reading here the court will rule one of the sides correct, so there will be football in some form. The only thing that matters is which side "wins" this stupid battle?

There is 6 months until opening day, I'm pretty sure this will be settled by then.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  24. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There will be a draft this year since that was stipulated in the prior CBA. The ability to trade players will depend on if the lockout is invalidated or not.
  25. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It may well be settled as in settlement by then. But the courts won't ultimately necessarily rule against a lockout even if the first judge up does... The league would immediately then appeal to the 8th circuit court (a 3 judge appeals panel) and could continue on to the Supreme Court. And while sides can request expedited hearings those aren't always granted. The courts actually have more important business to deal with in the grander scheme of things, not to mention some history of not choosing to inject themselves into collective bargaining disputes.

In 1987 we went down this road and the courts didn't ever get it all hashed out pending appeals until 1993 - at which time after a jury trial resulted in a verdict in favor of free agency, the two sides decided to reach a settlement agreement to end all the litigation. That settlement overseen by Doty did, however, still include things like restricted FA and transition and franchise tags... The league chose to play through the court proceedings at that time (under their own rules) but many owners today feel that was their first mistake because it allowed the players to trudge on through the courts at all because they were getting paid even as they sued them. And as a result they got an agreement they could live with although they also got stuck with Doty as an overseer until that CBA ended. Decertification yesterday was in part an attempt on the unions part to retain Doty into infinity. If the decertification tactic is ultimately ruled invalid by the NLRB or a higher court, Doty is gone. Different courts tend to have different leanings...
  26. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Thanks for the info and help. That is nuts...

Would you know how long it would take for the appeal to reach the 8th circuit court?
  27. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

At least a couple of months I'd expect, although it may never get that far because the union chose to decertify BEFORE the CBA expired and that provides for the league to employ the sham defense per the CBA:

Article LVII, Section 3(b) of the CBA, which states as follows: “The Parties agree that, after the expiration of the express term of this Agreement, in the event that at that time or any time thereafter a majority of players indicate that they wish to end the collective bargaining status of the NFLPA on or after expiration of this Agreement, the NFL and its Clubs and their respective heirs, executors, administrators, representatives, agents, successors and assigns waive any rights they may have to assert any antitrust labor exemption defense based upon any claim that the termination by the NFLPA of its status as a collective bargaining representative is Article LVII, Mutual Reservation of Rights: Labor Exemption or would be a sham, pretext, ineffective, requires additional steps, or has not in fact occurred.”

That being the case, an injunction against the lockout should not be granted.
  28. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

There is a spot in the lawsuit that conflicts with this and states something to the effect on "at or near" the end.
  29. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It doesn't matter what the lawsuit contends. It's what the CBA stipulates. The case has now been re-assigned from the initial judge, and it didn't go to Doty, either. Went to a former law clerk for Antonin Scalia...
  30. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

My Jersey:

there is no CBA to stipulate. and now there is no union. but there are several hundred players under contract to NFL teams. will the pats honor Tom Brady's contract, or will a court deem a breach of contract on the part of the team, require payment of all guarantees, and then deem the contract null and void.......could happen.......the whole league could be starting from scratch.......
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.