PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didnt pass he chose another destination we cant put a gun to his or Marvin Jones head

True, that's a good point. I don't think any WR in this FA class really scares DCs though, to be honest. Marvin Jones maybe, I guess, but I think Rishard Matthews is just as good a player as Jones, albeit not a "take the top off the defense" type.
I could be all wrong, but I think Jones or Matthews are Pro bowl WRs with Brady and offensive threats you scheme for. I don't see that same upside in the rest.

What's with us missing out on WR's?. Last year Percy Harvin and Stevie Johnson pass on us, and this year Jones and Matthews pass.

So are you okay with overpaying for a decent WR? Becaue i would NOT give Sanu or Jones those contracts. Pats are smart...not stupid

I am not ok with overpaying for a WR that isn't elite when we have huge contracts on D we have to give next year

Sorry you feel that way my last post was I trust BB to do the best for the team team and cap wise but would feel better with Hightower and Collins extensions announced.

Yes it is. Nothing on the outside. Nothing. Part the reason they lost in Denver. Remember Sanders jumping for balls on the sidelines?

Yeah we don't have that right now.
And even that wouldn't have mattered if we'd brought a semi-comptent OL to town..

I'm not saying the WR corps is perfect, no work to be done there, and wouldn't welcome an additional playmaker. I disagreed that this was "worse than 2013", esp if we're just going off day one of FA.

How is it worse than 2013? Compared to 2013 I'm actually more confident in what to expect from JE/DA - Edelman who has paid off an any and all promise any saw in him, Amendola (made of glass but played 2013 with his groin ripped off his leg) has been a punching bag because of his contract but he's made big plays - plus Martin as a depth piece. So looking at it on day one of FA you have two solid vets who have produced in your system (JE and DA) plus Martin who isn't a total project or binky guy because he's had real playing time.... vs. really zero of that at this time 3 years ago 2013. Granted they thought they still had Hernandez at the time as well, though Gronk was more of a question mark coming off that busted arm and ****ed up surgery situation, whereas now he's had 2 straight years of almost entirely injury-free ball. And they didn't lose the most productive WR in the history of the team this year either.

So I don't see how that's worse. And even if you don't agree with me on that, how does a panic overpay of a JAG help?

Again. After tampering window and day 1..Pats are in better position than they were entering FA (with everyone leaving denver)

We didn't sign anyone and our odds improved

Matthews better have gotten something around 8 million per year or I'm going to be pissed.

The only person to be pissed at is Matthews since he's come out and said that the reason he chose the Titans is that he felt he'd get the ball more..

Hmmm.. wonder who mentioned something about that sort of thing earlier...

Again. After tampering window and day 1..Pats are in better position than they were entering FA (with everyone leaving denver)

We didn't sign anyone and our odds improved

Broncos are going down but the Steelers are going up

I see No basis for this argument. It's non$en$e.

Really? You see no basis for the argument that any WR the Pats sign is going to be no better than the 3rd receiving option in this offense behind Gronkowski and Edelman? And the person would start off as the 4th or possibly even the 5th option behind guys like Amendola and Lewis/White? Think about that.

After Marvin Jones and Travis Benjamin signed, there were no WRs who have the skills that top Edelman. And only a few are better than Amendola.

Also remember that the Patriots prefer to run 2 TE sets over 3/4/5 wr sets. They like having the option of motioning the RB out of the backfield or keeping him in to chip or possibly even for a screen. They also like the mismatches that having the 2 TEs creates.

Last edited:
Time to get creative.

Sign Mike Wallace and have him run a bunch of end-arounds/jet sweeps. And some go-routes (look how that worked for Carolina/Gin last year)

It can be an extension of our running game. If that starts working well, throw in some fakes to help set up some runs for Blount/Lewis/? (defense will be on their heels) and even the pass.

Maybe Harvin, although I'd be too nervous every time he touched the ball, hoping he won't get hurt.

As I pointed out earlier, Wallace has been in steady decline since his 3rd year with the Steelers. He'd be a perfect fit for the "Heave and Hope" offense of the Ravens, but he'd be horrible in the timing based scheme of the Patriots.

Michael GiardiVerified account‏@MikeGiardi
source says Rishard Matthews believes there is more opportunity for him in Tenn. won't be 4th option at best

I always wonder how important this is to WRs. I would assume most WRs would like to be in a O where they can get more balls their way ect where a team like Pats spread it all over.

the titans season will be over in october. they'll never be on national TV, forget being a topic on the networks. waste of time..
we'll all forget about him tomorrow.

maybe bill can trade for a WR.

There's still time to salvage this Bill, go get Harvin!

With Matthews ending up in Tennessee, I'd be making a call about Kendall Wright right now. If Green-Beckham is still going to be forced into the #1 role (where he was boom or bust last year) and Matthews is the #2 like he said he wants to be, then that makes Wright the #3 WR and #4 receiver overall in an offense that clearly intends to run the ball more now with Murray.

That $7.3 million cap hit is a major impediment, but could be fixed with a long term deal if the other details make sense. Wright had a rough 2015 due to injury and mediocre 2014 with crap at QB, but his 2013 season and start to 2015 show a player that would help the Pats right now. Some people would be disappointed because he's not big, but I think he could fit very nicely on the outside similar to how Branch used to. Lots of questions to be answered, but I think it'd be worth inquiring.

There has to be some urgency or a backup plan. We cannot go into 2016 feeling confident with the receiving group we've had. All you need is for Gronk or Edelman to go down and this offense is royally screwed. You can't even count on Dola or Dobson staying on the field either.

Yikes. The draft doesn't have much to offer either, even if we could pick receivers well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe