PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edelman salary could be an issue. But Bill cleared the WR cupboard and the pickings are slim.

I think the Edelman salary is defiantly a problem in going after a big time WR...although none of these WRs are close to big time yet they are getting paid like that

Harvin Holmes Randle Streater anybody else in free agency dont even care

I think the Edelman salary is defiantly a problem in going after a big time WR...although none of these WRs are close to big time yet they are getting paid like that
Why cant we just give edeman and gronk a extra 2 mill a year a piece then we dont have a problem paying for more talent

Hence Cousin....Trade now and avoid being a mid round 4th comp picks for him after all those this year get paid in 2017.

Anyone have the Cardinals phone number to give to Bill? They missed out on a few pass rushers today.

P.S. The ones who are desperate besides the Broncos are the Browns. Decimated by loss of 4 starters today. They know Josh Gordon is a crap shoot at best. Jones would be a "For the fan base" selection. I still say take a run at Joe Haden and Josh Gordon for Jones. The Browns can now gauge what he is worth. See the Vernon contract.
The Pats will not spend $17mm for Jones.
Here is the other problem. If you are Jones and know you are worth $17mm right now, do you take a chance on injury to go all out in 2016? Interesting question. His ceiling value is set.
DW Toys

Given what Vernon got, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where Jones doesn't yield a third round comp pick. He's better, more productive, and more versatile than Vernon is, and he'll be entering FA under an even bigger cap than Vernon is.

I'm not inherently averse to trading Jones now, I think we have the depth at DE to pull it off (especially if we bring in a vet DE). But where I think we differ is that I'd rather see the Pats trade him for a future pick (or picks), and use the money that could go to Haden's $10M/yr base salary to extend someone out of Collins/Hightower/Butler instead.

Boldin is so old im concerned he cant get deep

My best guess. Still has skills, but speed isn't one.

Dude ran a 4.7 at the combine in 2003. He's always been slow as ****, and that never stopped him from putting together a borderline-HOF career before now. Weirdly enough, I think that's exactly why he's aged so well. He never had any of the skills that you're supposed to lose as you age, so even in his current washed up form he's still about 90% as good as he was in his prime.

Nah. Problem is Pats are sitting there with a 30 year old injury prone #2 Slot WR with a freaking $6.8m cap hit.... $4.1m could have been freed cutting him..

What would it cost to kick the tires on Justin Hunter?

Danny A is better than receivers not named Benjamin or Jones

Nah. Problem is Pats are sitting there with a #2 Slot WR with a freaking $6.8m cap hit.... $4.1m could have been freed cutting him..
They can't cut him still?

Nah. Problem is Pats are sitting there with a #2 Slot WR with a freaking $6.8m cap hit.... $4.1m could have been freed cutting him..

Agreed, Edelman's $4.4M 2016 cap hit is about the furthest thing from a problem possible. If he was an UFA right now, teams would be throwing offers at him with AAVs north of $10M, potentially far north of that since he'd be by far the best WR on the market.

Edelman's an absolute steal. If his contract is a problem, then I wish we had more problems on our hands.

anquan please no, he cant open quick enough. our line sucks so the wr's have to get open fast..

all we got is gronk/edelman nobody is scared of amendola, dobson ( lol ), and martin. sucks that matthews chose the ****ing titans, we must of seriously made a low ball offer which isnt surprising. players want money, most dont give a **** about winning.

if they're letting Edelman's deal be a bottleneck for other negotiations it might be saving them from themselves. you said it...none of these guys are worth it.

not even sure any of them are for sure better than DA, nevermind Jules, so there's that too. if Marvin Jones was so good he made DA irrelevant they could have cut Danny and spent the money on Jones. they didn't, and in the end they'll likely be better off for it.

find a way to restructure the deal or something...
have to keep dola at this point, if only for edelman insurance.lol

If they cut DA....we would still be in the same position while having to add ANOTHER WR. Based on what these FA WRs are getting. I am fine with keeping DA this year for that.

Well I want guys who want to win equally as getting paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes