PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing about these day-one signings is knowing that half of them will be regretted by their teams within a year, and a ton of them will be cut within 2. With a lot of them, you know which will fall into those groups even as they're happening. Looking at you, Mark Barron and Chris Ivory.

Denver will be lucky to squeak into the playoffs. Indy won't be much better than they were last year.

Who is our main competition in the AFC in 2016?

The usual - Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Ben Watson and Mike Wallace are perfect for the Ravens, and with Flacco healthy and Suggs back the team will be back to its usual self.

Yeah, I bet Kirk Cousins likes that. He'll probably get paid even more in an extension this year or in free agency next year...

Yup, every QB should celebrate when a mediocre talent resets the market for everyone else. Every QB who has any realistic shot at starting just made more money on his next contract. Good chance it even created a trade market for Kaepernick, since his contract suddenly doesn't look quite so ****ty.

The Broncos should be all over Fitzpatrick.

Yikes, that's pretty dumb of the Jets. Regardless of where he goes, a bidding war between the Jets and Broncos for his services helps us. Who knows, maybe the Browns and/or Rams get involved too.

Most of these signings today are being done by perennial losers.

Get used to the new reality, 3 Million/year is the new JAG money, now way we would sign Forte for that. I'm OK with paying around 5/6 MI/ year to a decent RB, you gotta run the ball and not be so predictable. I know BB is not ok with that.

Guys, the market is all ****ed up, I know Edelman and Gronk have strong work ethics, but they are huge bargains, Edelman especially. With this market so messed up I wonder if there's implications on signing a WR and creating a situation inside the locker room. I know I know, he signed what was out for him at the time and the Cap increases every year but Edelman's contract doesn't reflect the reality.
Again, if signing someone for the money that is the "new normal" in this market would mean the team is better for it then I don't think they can worry too much about existing deals on the roster and how they look or feel to certain people, even other players. They can always throw $4m in bonus money at Jules if they want to show good faith, or keep him happy (this assumes he has any sort of problem being paid what he is to be TB's go-to guy and, at worst, the 2nd most desirable piece of man-meat on the market in Boston lol). But when you see the stupid money being thrown at some of these FAs and knowing what the Pats have in-house to take care of at some point soon (the 4 guys on D, mainly), it just doesn't seem like a very smart investment to pay people just to try to keep up with teams that are grasping at straws to catch, well, you! If Marvin Jones was a no-doubt #1 WR who solved some sort of massive problem for the Patriots, BB might pay him $8m/yr. And if Matt Forte was a back that they felt they could lean on like Corey Dillon in '04, BB might've paid him too. But the numbers on the skill-position guys a lot of us thought they might target are way out of whack with the amount of space the Pats have. They'll have to find a different way to fill the few holes they have.

The Chase Daniel thing in Philly makes the Bradford deal make even less sense.

Kerley seems like a Patriot.

Nah there are a lot better options out there. Kerley is only known to us because he was on the Jets. He is honestly slightly sub-JAG and not worth targeting. Camp body that you cut and call to be the 5th guy if you have an injury.

Just my opinion, but if we sign him I am happy to be proven wrong if he turns out to be more than that.

Last edited:
Lol at the thought of kaepernick, RGIII or Fitz in Denver.

The great thing about these day-one signings is knowing that half of them will be regretted by their teams within a year, and a ton of them will be cut within 2. With a lot of them, you know which will fall into those groups even as they're happening. Looking at you, Mark Barron and Chris Ivory.

And even though I know that it is still really difficult to sit and watch as the top talent goes off the board every year both in free agency and the draft. About the only good side of this is they still have the money to sign their top players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3