PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading Clady would free up a heavy amount of cap space. Not sure if it would be as much as what they're giving Okung, though.

Trading Clady would free up a heavy amount of cap space. Not sure if it would be as much as what they're giving Okung, though.

Getting rid of Clady frees up $9.5m this year and $10m next year but next year is meaningless because Okung's hit will be around that.

Interesting decision given that outside of last year and '13 Clady has played a full season every year. Whereas Okung has never played a full season

is okung an upgrade to clady?

No. They're signing him because he's the best OT still out there and Clady isn't budging on his contract, so they'll either ship him off or cut him,

This move is all about cap for '16. OKung will likely have a backloaded contract meaning minimal hit this year. Whereas Clady was is a $10m hit and they free up $9m if cut

Due to injury I'd say it's inconclusive. So I'll call it basically a wash. The rest of their line is still bad now with Evan Mathis, Vasquez and Ryan Harris all gone.

I wonder if the Donks would trade for AJ McCaron

About the same. Okung stays on the field more.

Does he though? I know Clady missed this season and most of '13 but every other season he played a full season. Okung has never played a full season..

A quick perusal of the remaining free agents, cross-referenced to the Patriots seemingly biggest offensive needs, yields this, IMO:

1. 2 OTs worth looking at in any real capacity (Okung, Beatty), with Okung likely being far too pricey
  2. 1 OG worth looking at (Evans), but likely overpriced and clearly in decline
  3. 4 WRs who could be legitimate, if not significant help (Boldin, Washington, Randle, Harvin), and several who would be functional WR4/WR5 types if the team didn't need them on STs
  4. A fair number of RBs worth at least taking a look at (LGB, Johnson, Hightower, Starks, Hillman, Foster), though some may be done/overpriced/both

Slim pickings, but still some available talent
A quick perusal of the remaining free agents, cross-referenced to the Patriots seemingly biggest defensive needs, yields this, IMO:

3 CBs who might still be starter material (Leon Hall, Tarell Brown, Antonio Cromartie) are available, but all have question marks, and all may have declined enough that they'd have to take reserve roles.
1 CB (Brandon Boykin) may be worth looking at for nickle/dime situations
4 LBs may be worth looking at, depending upon what role the Patriots are looking to fill (Dansby, Ryans, Brown, Robertson)
2 DEs would seem to be able to fit a role (Hardy, Mincey), but I don't see any way in hell the team would sign Hardy, and I'm not sure the team is looking for DE who's more run stopper than pass rusher at this point in his career, which is how they'd probably view Mincey
r DTs would seem to be viable additions (Fairley, Knighton, Soliai, Melton, DeVito), but each one has questions and/or limitations. Knighton, Soliai and DeVito would be strictly run stuffers, Melton would be strictly pass rush, and Fairley is an all around player who gets lazy and will probably be asking for pretty big coin

Again, the pickings are slim at this point.

Just a few points:
With the signing of McClellin, the Pats will go to the draft for another LB, imho. Also, Dansby hates the Pats.
Okung is signing with Denver, but Clady will be available.
Evans signed with Arizona. Chris Johnson re-signed with Arizona as well.
Soliai signed with Carolina yesterday.

Cutting/Trading Clady frees up 8.9M. Have to see what the breakdown is to know how much Okung is counting this year.

Getting rid of Clady frees up $9.5m this year and $10m next year but next year is meaningless because Okung's hit will be around that.

Interesting decision given that outside of last year and '13 Clady has played a full season every year. Whereas Okung has never played a full season

It only frees up 8.9 Million. He's got 1.2M in Signing Bonus proration left on his contract. 600K this year and 600K next.

Does he though? I know Clady missed this season and most of '13 but every other season he played a full season. Okung has never played a full season..
That's fair, but he's never missed a full season either. If I'm paying $10m I guess I'd rather have the guy for most of the games than not at all. In terms of this particular swap by Denver I believe that you are correct it's primarily about money for this year - I suppose in the bigger picture it's a little bit about choosing between a guy who has suffered two major injuries that have cost him seasons vs. a guy who has missed varying amounts of games with more typical nagging or relatively minor injuries. To say nothing of the fact that missing Clady hasn't stopped them from going to the Super Bowl both times he missed the year.

Sounds like a pretty good contract for Denver.

No serious problems if Okung doesn't work out. Chance to opt out after one year and minimise the cost if he's injured this year.

what are colts giving up for clady? with irsay and dummy grigson they'll probably give the donkeys a 1st!

Had visited the Pats.. But dodge a bullet there because he is not good, if Browner was the worst CB in the league last year Blake was 1B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back