PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't heard of Edelman needing a 2nd surgery. I would have thought they'd have done that by now if he did. Doesn't make sense to wait, imho.

Dez Bryant went through that with his broken foot last season. He came back a couple of months later but needed another surgery.

Hogan reminds me of David Givens, though Hogan plays quicker and is more versatile imho. I think that, because of his size (6'1 and 220 lbs) and the fact he was a FB in his 1 year of college, that he'd be used in many different ways in both the passing and running games.

I think that the interest in Hogan is to replace Lafell. What Hogan doesn't bring is the electricity in the punt return game. And that is what the Pats would miss if they parted ways with Amendola. Might there be some correlation with the rumors surrounding Amendola? maybe. Who can say for sure.

I have a more negative take on idea of cutting Amendola. First, as others have pointed out, once he got healthy, he was clutch. Both down the stretch in 2014 and in 2015. He's also earned Brady's trust. And, as I mentioned, he's the Pats punt returner. I don't see the Pats coming close to a re-do of 2006 where they had only 1 WR that had worked with Brady. Yes, they'd have 3 this time going into camp, but having Martin and Dobson would be like having Caldwell and Gabriel again. (shudder)

I hadn't heard of Edelman needing a 2nd surgery. I would have thought they'd have done that by now if he did. Doesn't make sense to wait, imho.
Doug Gabriel....my gawd.

Dez Bryant went through that with his broken foot last season. He came back a couple of months later but needed another surgery.
Marshall played with a pin in his foot all year.

Another word is spoiled.

I don't mind feeling entitled or spoiled though.

Spoiled is fine. This fan base has that in spades

So no word on any of the players not named Chris Hogan?
So Streater to the Jets then?

Of course I can't say exactly how the Pats operate during free agency but I have a theory. It seems like they set a price and if a player is willing to accept it then fine. If not they move on to their next choice and don't budge on their number.

It took me a few days to get to the end of the nearly 3K posts in this thread. At one point in the beginning I couldn't read the posts fast enough. As I would read each page two more pages would be added to the thread. I can't imagine what it would be like if the Pats actually made a lot of moves.

This thread contains too much back and forth over players who are gone. Once the player ends up on another team I don't see the point in arguing over what he may or may not have done on this team. We'll never know the answer.

Unlike some of the Pats fans here, I like the fact that the Pats don't jump into the FA lunacy right away. I would think that if I were a player on the roster who had to negotiate a new contract and the Pats played hardball with me I wouldn't appreciate it if they gave a FA player a larger contract.

Whatever strategy the Pats are using it seems to be working quite well.

Interesting bit on Benny Cunningham from a Rams perspective, he certainly has Patriot qualities.

Rams need to keep running back Benny Cunningham

First and foremost, the three-year veteran is the best back on the team -- and among the best in the NFL, some coaches have said -- when it comes to picking up the blitz. Cunningham has also been a solid option as a pass-catcher, particularly in the screen game. That makes him the ideal third-down back for a team that figures to ride star runner Todd Gurley on most other downs.

Cunningham also brings plenty to the table on special teams. Over the past two seasons, he's fifth in the NFL in kick-return yards and sixth in yards per kick return (among those with at least 10 attempts). He contributes on coverage units as well.

Beyond his on-field work, Cunningham is well-liked in the Rams' locker room and has the makings of a team leader for a franchise that is looking for more in light of the departure of linebacker James Laurinaitis and end Chris Long.

So no word on any of the players not named Chris Hogan?
So Streater to the Jets then?
Reiss says the indications point to the Patriots making an offer to Streater in addition to extending an offer sheet to Hogan today.

Since the end of last season, the following players have been added to the Pats roster and will be going to training camp with the team:
Nate Solder
Dion Lewis
James Develin
Aaron Dobson
Domonique Easley
Trey Flowers
Rufus Johnson
Chris Jones
Darryl Roberts
Ryan Wendell

Of course I can't say exactly how the Pats operate during free agency but I have a theory. It seems like they set a price and if a player is willing to accept it then fine. If not they move on to their next choice and don't budge on their number.

It took me a few days to get to the end of the nearly 3K posts in this thread. At one point in the beginning I couldn't read the posts fast enough. As I would read each page two more pages would be added to the thread. I can't imagine what it would be like if the Pats actually made a lot of moves.

This thread contains too much back and forth over players who are gone. Once the player ends up on another team I don't see the point in arguing over what he may or may not have done on this team. We'll never know the answer.

Unlike some of the Pats fans here, I like the fact that the Pats don't jump into the FA lunacy right away. I would think that if I were a player on the roster who had to negotiate a new contract and the Pats played hardball with me I wouldn't appreciate it if they gave a FA player a larger contract.

Whatever strategy the Pats are using it seems to be working quite well.
*****ing is a natural part of this board.

Financial dicipline and value is not a concept some understand or give a crap about.

Immediate gratification is what some are accustomed to.

Lets hope the players we want dont leave without signing their deals

So did they keep Hogan & Streater overnight or what? Cunningham went home...

On Hicks...

Story by Reiss. In it, he says that he thinks the Pats will write up an offer sheet to Hogan and will also try to sign Streater. He also thinks they will try to reduce Amendola's salary, and wonders that if Amendola says no, will he be cut?

So did they keep Hogan & Streater overnight or what? Cunningham went home...
Not sure on Streater. Someone check that trailer park near the D&D on Rt1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents