PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION NFL Divisional game: KC @ Buffalo

Having a practice squadder like AJ Klein go up against Travis Kelce was their version of Myles Bryant trying to cover the middle of the field in that wild card game in Buffalo.

Reid and Mahomes saw the Bills' defensive injuries and mercilessly pounded them. The scoreboard lies - Chiefs dominated this game on yards per play. They managed to avoid third downs and therefore their biggest weakness (lack of receiver depth) by going after the backup linebackers on first and second down with both the run and the pass (to Kelce in particular). This was a patriots-esque performance against a team with a clear weakness.

Baltimore however has no such weakness. I'd expect the Chiefs to be forced into many more third downs (where they were only 1/5 against the Bills) and therefore to struggle on offense. However, Lamar hasn't proven himself like Allen yet - Baltimore may also struggle to score against the Chiefs. This could be a low-scoring struggle, though I would certainly give the Ravens the advantage.

That was my view of the game as well. McDermott couldn't hide his weakness and Reid/Mahomes pounded it. Probably would have been a different result if Bills were healthier but that's how NFL playoffs go. However, I don't think the Chiefs magically fixed their offense, they got a really favorable matchup and took advantage. Baltimore will likely hold them under 20 points (while the game is meaningfully competitive, so discounting any garbage time points). The real question is whether Lamar and the Ravens offense can step up and make plays in the air when the Chiefs D sells out to stop the run.

Having a practice squadder like AJ Klein go up against Travis Kelce was their version of Myles Bryant trying to cover the middle of the field in that wild card game in Buffalo.
Respect to AJ Klein, he's been around for years and did nice for coming off the couch in recent weeks for them.

But that result was inevitable.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Reid and Mahomes saw the Bills' defensive injuries and mercilessly pounded them. The scoreboard lies - Chiefs dominated this game on yards per play. They managed to avoid third downs and therefore their biggest weakness (lack of receiver depth) by going after the backup linebackers on first and second down with both the run and the pass (to Kelce in particular). This was a patriots-esque performance against a team with a clear weakness.

Baltimore however has no such weakness. I'd expect the Chiefs to be forced into many more third downs (where they were only 1/5 against the Bills) and therefore to struggle on offense. However, Lamar hasn't proven himself like Allen yet - Baltimore may also struggle to score against the Chiefs. This could be a low-scoring struggle, though I would certainly give the Ravens the advantage.
Easy to forget, but a mediocre Steelers offense with Mason Rudolph at QB had no issue moving the ball on them.

The Bills defense was a sitting duck, it looked worse than Miami's the week before.

Easy to forget, but a mediocre Steelers offense with Mason Rudolph at QB had no issue moving the ball on them.

The Bills defense was a sitting duck, it looked worse than Miami's the week before.
How is Baltimores Defense right now?

After watching grown men crying for that last 1 minute, 35 seconds perhaps the Bill’s fans won’t be laughing at our current situation realizing that it’s not easy to win playoff game, or a Super Bowl let alone 6 Super Bowl!. Hope they enjoy the off-season with the rest of us…..

Consider though that this defense also shut down Miami's offense 2 weeks ago. Need that blueprint.

Consider though that this defense also shut down Miami's offense 2 weeks ago. Need that blueprint.
Not really the same though as Buffalo lost even more defenders at the LB spot in particular, where they had no decent backups (since those were in the game already). They had to pull a guy off the couch to start against Kelce! Chiefs would find that formula much more difficult to replicate against Baltimore or, if they get there, the 49ers (particularly against Fred Warner - my god what a beast). Baltimore and SF may struggle against that Chiefs defense too though.

Looking further down the line, are the Chiefs going to be able to keep Chris Jones? Kelce will be a year older, Rice should improve, they will probably have to add another receiver somehow (not a gamebreaker just someone reliable). Not sure the Chiefs are going to get better from here or not on net - depends on how they draft I suppose.

The fake punt gave me flashbacks to Patrick Chung audibling into one in that Jets playoff game with the same outcome.

You're going to break your brain, it might've already happened.

He was picked late, like Demario Douglas.

He has 49 catches in 31 games, less than 2 catches per game.
Can't wait until Tyquan post those numbers in 3055 it will be worth the wait. :rolleyes:

@upstater1 I know you don't like him but If I'm Mayo or our next GM I'm going after WR Gabe Davis in FA we need a real deep threat!

Last edited:
@upstater1 I know you don't like him but If I'm Maho or our next GM I'm going after WR Gabe Davis in FA we need a real deep threat!
Agreed, the guy is clutch. 21 of his 22 catches in the post season went for first downs... My FA binkie. He had playoff games versus Miami and KC in past years when he was lights out.

@upstater1 I know you don't like him but If I'm Mayo or our next GM I'm going after WR Gabe Davis in FA we need a real deep threat!
They hate him up here in Buffalo. Runs one predictable route. It's a good one. But the guy is severely limited. Davante Parker with a little more speed.

No.

LOL.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents