PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Announces 2010 Draft begins Thursday, April 22nd at 7pm for new 3 day draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never lived on the west coast and had to deal with it but I imagine they dont want monday night football to start between 5 and 6 and I imagine they also don't like other games starting at 10 AM. .

Personally I love the 10am games. MNF only concerns me when the Pats are on and usually I can just delay the DVR for those without a problem. But this draft thing is ridiculous. You can't just sit at work and DVR the draft, that totally defeats everything that made it fun.

I think the draft should always be in the town of the city who has the fist overall pick. That way we can have the Thanksgiving Game and the Draft in Detroit every year.

Regardless of how this change affects any of us personally, it's another smart business move by the NFL. Aside from the addition of prime time ratings, it spreads television exposure (and revenue) over four days rather than two: the three days of the draft, plus all day Sunday to dissect, analyze, second guess and grade all the picks and trades.

I don't understand why the NFL (particularly under Commissioner Doofus) is always looking to fix things that ain't broke... well, check that, I do know why. They are looking for ways to squeeze out more money, even if that means pissing on the fans.

I predict that the draft ratings will go down. Nobody's going to want to stay in on a Friday night to watch the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I predict that the draft ratings will go down. Nobody's going to want to stay in on a Friday night to watch the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Yeah, it's one and done now. Thursday night. Friday night people are doing other things, Saturday, almost no-one cares about the last few rounds.

Re: NFL Announces 2010 Draft begins Thursday,April 22nd at 7pm for new 3 day draft

Every pick of the first round should take one day.

We'll call it NFL Draft Month.

Friday..."With"
Saturday..."the"
Sunday..."first"
Monday..."pick".........................................

They also won't get the crowds that they have gotten on the weekends, especially the out of town fans that make it as quirky as it is. I've attended three drafts ( my avatar is from the back row at Radio City Music Hall) and waiting in line for tickets was part of the fun, as was attending day two ( Sun) in its entirety to be guaranteed tickets for the next year.

I'm not crazy about this change, but I can't fault the league for trying to maximize their exposure and revenue. I just hope they don't turn Thursday night into an entertainment event, with singers, celebrities, and what-not.

One potentially frustrating thing I can see is that if, after waiting all day Thursday for the selection, the Patriots trade out of the first round, we'll have to wait until Friday night for the pick.

I'm not crazy about this change, but I can't fault the league for trying to maximize their exposure and revenue. I just hope they don't turn Thursday night into an entertainment event, with singers, celebrities, and what-not.

Oh god please no........I hate the SB halftime show.....Even if you get a performer you like you still just want to get back to football. The only good thing about the Super Bowl halftime show is the fans in the stadium stay in their seats and you can actually go to the bathroom and walk around the concourse but that is five minutes at best.

This is strange. It certainly puts a damper on my annual Saturday draft day enjoyment. Can't understand the reasoning here, but I'm sure some highly paid market analysts could shed some light.

This is strange. It certainly puts a damper on my annual Saturday draft day enjoyment. Can't understand the reasoning here, but I'm sure some highly paid market analysts could shed some light.
Ka-ching$$, lots of ka-ching$$.

Hmm? Doesn't affect me at all. I don't follow any college players or teams so I don't know **** come draft day. I do follow who is picked by what team however. I don't need the results asap. The next day is fine by me.

bad for us european fans

7 pm in Us it is night here...

Well it will be great for Hotels around NYC,Imagine the fans who go to the draft every year from out of town now have to pay for a 3 night stay if they want to see the whole draft live and plan on staying over.

Holiday Inn is going to make out great with this idea :rolleyes:

Lame how am I going to throw my annual draft party on a Thursday night!! WTF is this bullshirt. Typical NFL successful inspite of themselves.

Sirius NFL reports that the draft for 2010 will take place in Prime Time and will now last for 3 days with starting round 1 on Thursday,April 22nd at 7:30 to 10:30pm and Rounds 2 & 3 Friday,April 23rd at 7pm-11:30pm and finally Rounds 4 through 7 on
Saturday,April 24th from 10am-6pm

Actually I love the move by the NFL - Great idea and 3 days is awesome!

While you may like it, their "reasoning" is garbage and not well thought. Moving it to a Thursday, Friday, Saturday format does not change its accessibility.

Not only that, it will now be going up against PRIMETIME programming such as CSI, Survivor, and the WWE. And while people will surely mock my mentioning the WWE, just realize that they now have 4 live shows a week and they are amongst the top rated in their time slots.

Well it will be great for Hotels around NYC,Imagine the fans who go to the draft every year from out of town now have to pay for a 3 night stay if they want to see the whole draft live and plan on staying over.

I think that this will actually prevent all but the hard core fans from going. Seriously, I highly doubt that all but the hard core will take 2 days of vacation to go to NYC to see the draft. There is also no mention about what this will do to fan accessibility.

I've been checking around and the reaction is decidely bad....

Or not.

Out of towners or even in-towners who work Monday - Friday who use to make a weekend of it by heading to NYC after work on Friday might skip the event instead of using two days of vaction.

I have never lived on the west coast and had to deal with it but I imagine they dont want monday night football to start between 5 and 6 and I imagine they also don't like other games starting at 10 AM. Its not about what you or they want its about balancing it. they rush home from work and get up early all we have to do is stay up late on monday.

I imagine you dont really care that much about watching the draft but FYI if you dont like monday night football ending round midnight you might not like it when we pick after midnight this year.....well aside from the fact that picking later means more success in the season.

People on the West Coast LOVE the Sunday Games that start at 10 am. First off, all the Bars can start serving at that time. Secondly, they can watch 7 hours of football and STILL have a good portion of their day to go to the beach, or rollerblade or whatever. Its one of the things I really miss about living in San Diego and Orange County.

Regardless of how this change affects any of us personally, it's another smart business move by the NFL. Aside from the addition of prime time ratings, it spreads television exposure (and revenue) over four days rather than two: the three days of the draft, plus all day Sunday to dissect, analyze, second guess and grade all the picks and trades.

They aren't going to get good prime time ratings. If you think CBS is going to not show Survivor and CSI just to accommodate the NFL Draft being on another channel, you are sadly mistaken. Thursday night is CBS' night when it comes to the ratings...

The draft gets dissected numerous times for weeks after its done. This new format won't change that. And, honestly, I bet you'd find that the draft review shows that are on the NFL channel and on ESPN are not that highly rated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call