PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Stop, the Underwear Olympics

If ever there was a year to trade back for multiple 2nd round picks........

Seriously, I think there are more players that peak my interest in the mid rounds than the first…

Looking through today's numbers, have to give credit it Mayo on Dontae Johnson; sub 4.5 40 and 38.5 vertical on a 6.2 frame is a very good day.

6.82 3-cone not too shabby, either at 6'2" 200#.

Some other 3-cone numbers:

- Daniel Sorenson 6.47, 3.95 short shuttle at 6'1" 205#
- Terrance Mitchell 6.57
- Phillip Gaines 6.62, 4.02 short shuttle
- Jason Verrett 6.67
- Marcus Roberson 6.84, 4.08 short shuttle
- Brock Vereen 6.90
- Kyle Fuller 6.90
- Justin Gilbert 6.92
- Deone Bucannon 6.96
- Bashaud Breeland 7.04
- Jonathan Dowling 7.04
- Antone Exum 7.05
- Ha ha Clinton-Dix 7.16
- Lamarcus Joyner 7.26
- Keith McGill 7.29

I guess after his dominant Senior Bowl and his Impressive Combine whether he goes top 10 or not, Donald is a name that we, as Patriot Fans, can cross off our list as a potential pick...it's obvious he's not going to be around when we pick. Ugh...at this point I'm starting to wonder if we might have to look at free agency in fulfilling that need as it seems the top names that most of us were hoping to be there in round 1 are going to be gone. It doesn't mean we can't pick up one in the later rounds but I was really hoping someone like Donald, Jerrnigan, Hageman or Nix would have been an option for us.

Look at it this way. There are only 32 first round picks with 3 or 4 qbs locked in. At least 3 wr's 3 cbs 2 safeties, cbs,offensive linemen, LBs etc. one of those guys will fall but the question is it the one you like?

Love Donald and Jernigan,like Hageman and am very lukewarm on Nix. There are some other guys out there like Justin Ellis who pushed the pocket pretty well at the Shrine and SR bowl. I like him so much I wouldn't be disappointed if they took him in the 3rd. Dominique Easley gets a lot of of love too from Mayo. Possible first round talent with knee problems will push him back. To be honest 23 year old kids worry me a lot less with acl surgeries then someone in their 30s. The healing is more natural and body normally adjust better.

For those who like Nix check out Justin Ellis.

Nix 6'2", 331#, 5.35 40, 25.5 VJ, 97 BJ, 8.29 3C
Ellis 6'1", 334#, 5.12 40, 28 VJ, 92 BJ, 7.81 3C

I know the competition level wasn't the same but he's simply more nimble than Nix at the same weight and plays with great leverage and is able to push the pocket on passing downs. I think the value of Ellis in the 4th vs Nix in the first is a no brainer. It's not just the measurables check out his film. I see a guy who could be like Terrance Knighton was for Denver against us.

Just venting some frustration. Sorry, can't a girl do that around here or is that not allowed? My brothers don't like to watch games with me because I get too emotionally involved. lol

It happens to everyone. After the Combine, some of your favorite binkies suddenly have their stock explode. It's vindicating to see your favorite player getting love. But at the same time you realize that they are now out of reach.

Get used to it. That's just how it goes. What's even worse is when your favorite player is around, your team steps up to the podium, and either trades back or totally picks someone else that you've never heard of!!

I've been following the Patriots for a long time, and this is the pattern. Every year people get mad or bitter when this happens, but those are the breaks. Steel your heart, because this combine process is just the easy part. Draft day is even tougher!!

I know the competition level wasn't the same but he's simply more nimble than Nix at the same weight and plays with great leverage and is able to push the pocket on passing downs. I think the value of Ellis in the 4th vs Nix in the first is a no brainer. It's not just the measurables check out his film. I see a guy who could be like Terrance Knighton was for Denver against us.

I'll have to take a closer look at Ellis! But certainly the value would be a lot better in the 4th if he can also deliver the goods as a football player. Athletically, Ellis does look a little better in terms of agility. But there's a lot more that goes into a football player. Example - how good is his hand punch, his explosiveness off the line. How does he handle double teams. How is his motor? Is he an instinctive player or does he take bad angles to stop the run, Etc. etc.

I agree 100%, and I've made that point several times.

BTW, Ellis "official" 40 times was 5.27, not that it matters. Nix's was 5.42.

Did you see the video of Kevin Pierre-Louis I put up on The Athletic Fits thread? Poor mans Jamie Collins.

Haven't looked at the video yet, but will do so. Athletically, he sounds more like a poor man's Ryan Shazier:

Shazier: 6' 1" 237#, (didn't run 40), 25 reps BP, 42" VJ, 10' 10" BJ, 4.21 SS, 6.91 3C
Pierre-Louis: 6' 0 1/2" 232#, 4.51 40, 1.53 10-split, 28 reps BP, 39" VJ, 10' 8" BJ, 4.02 SS, 6.92 3C

Pretty impressive.

I guess after his dominant Senior Bowl and his Impressive Combine whether he goes top 10 or not, Donald is a name that we, as Patriot Fans, can cross off our list as a potential pick...it's obvious he's not going to be around when we pick.

Ugh...at this point I'm starting to wonder if we might have to look at free agency in fulfilling that need as it seems the top names that most of us were hoping to be there in round 1 are going to be gone.

It doesn't mean we can't pick up one in the later rounds but I was really hoping someone like Donald, Jerrnigan, Hageman or Nix would have been an option for us.

I wasn't aware that the draft had taken place yet.

Just venting some frustration.

Sorry, can't a girl do that around here or is that not allowed?

My brothers don't like to watch games with me because I get too emotionally involved. lol

Well Played, Sister Ashley!! :rocker:

No offense, Brother Mayo: Much respect. But I think she actually made a damned good point.
39.gif

It happens to everyone. After the Combine, some of your favorite binkies suddenly have their stock explode. It's vindicating to see your favorite player getting love. But at the same time you realize that they are now out of reach.

Get used to it. That's just how it goes. What's even worse is when your favorite player is around, your team steps up to the podium, and either trades back or totally picks someone else that you've never heard of!!

I've been following the Patriots for a long time, and this is the pattern. Every year people get mad or bitter when this happens, but those are the breaks. Steel your heart, because this combine process is just the easy part. Draft day is even tougher!!

I am really looking forward to the draft, can't wait, especially this year with me being familiar with more players and all. I know it's still early in the process, but I wish the draft was tomorrow, the suspense is killing me. lol

Tony Pauline notes on the DBs at the Combine:

STOCK ARROW POINTING UP

1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State:
When the morning started Gilbert was battling Darqueze Dennard for the top spot at the cornerback position. At the conclusion of the day Gilbert, holds a firm grasp of the top spot. In a nutshell, his workout was awesome from start to finish. Gilbert was the fastest defensive back of the day, timing below 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He was exceptional in position drills displaying a quick backpedal, the ability to flip his hips then easily transition to every angle of the field. Gilbert practiced with speed, balance and showed great athleticism. He could move into the draft’s initial 12 selections.

2. CB Phillip Gaines, Rice: Expectation is a word that’s been mentioned often in analyzing performances at the Combine and Gaines exceeded them Tuesday. Stamped as a slow bump-and-run cover corner, he blazed to a 4.37 in the 40-yard dash then displayed terrific skill in position drills. Gaines was smooth transitioning from his backpedal and showed an explosive burst moving in every direction. At the end of the day, Gaines improved his draft stock and made a lot of money for himself.

3. CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech: Fuller’s name is rarely mentioned in the conversation for the top cornerbacks available in the draft, yet all he does is impress scouts. He continued that trend Tuesday with a terrific athletic performance (4.43 in the 40-yard dash, 38.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-8 broad jump) then a great position workout. Fuller looked so natural and smooth on the field it almost seemed effortless. His ball skills, athleticism and eye for the ball make him a potential No. 1 cornerback at the next level.

4. CB Jason Verrett, TCU: In the game of inches Verrett, comes up a bit short (slightly under 5-foot-9) but offers big league skill. The argument could be made Verrett was the most complete defensive back on the field Tuesday. His testing numbers were terrific (4.39 40-yard dash, 39-inch vertical jump) as were his position drills. Verrett was quick and smooth moving in every direction, both forwards as well as backwards. He has first-round skill but a third-round frame.

5. CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State: The junior cornerback entered the draft despite a terrible 2013 campaign and had a lot of ground to make up. To his credit, Roby righted the ship. He clocked under 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash then played to that speed throughout position drills. Roby was fast in a straight line as well as laterally and displayed quick feet and smooth hip rotation. It’s a step in the right direction for Roby.

6. CB/S Brock Vereen, Minnesota: Vereen, who lined up at cornerback and safety in college, quietly had one of the better workouts Tuesday. His testing numbers, which were better than expected, included 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash and 25 reps on the bench. Vereen may not have been as quick or explosive as the headliners, but he looked smooth in every drill and was constantly applauded by coaches.

7. CB/S Dontae Johnson, North Carolina State: Johnson is another versatile defender who can line up at several positions in the secondary. He also leaves the Combine after having improved his draft stock. His 40-yard dash time in the mid 4.4 second range, vertical jump of 38.5 inches and broad jump which measured 10-foot-4 were all solid marks. Johnson was solid in position drills as he displayed quick footwork in reverse as well as the ability to explode to the action straight ahead and laterally.

8. CB/S Jaylen Watkins, Florida: Still another defensive back who can line up at safety and cornerback, Watkins surprised scouts with his testing numbers. His 40-yard dash time of 4.4 seconds was a full tenth of a second faster than scouts believed possible. Proving he’s not just a fleet-footed athlete, Watkins' 22 reps on the bench marked the top number of the day.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED

The testing marks for Keith McGill of Utah were impressive: under 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 39 inches in the vertical jump as well as a broad jump of 10-foot-9. All this at 211 pounds. However, McGill looked stiff and showed marginal quickness during position drills Expect a number of teams to move McGill from their cornerback board to the safety position.

2. Virginia Tech's Antone Exum, graded as a potential first-round pick entering the season, looked a fraction of his former self Tuesday. Exum has struggled returning from the knee surgery he underwent in February 2013 as his game looks a step slower. Don’t be surprised if he’s still available when the final day of the draft begins May 10.

Draft Risers And Sliders: CB And S

I think that a lot of people on this board would be ecstatic if Exum was still available in the later rounds..

I think that a lot of people on this board would be ecstatic if Exum was still available in the later rounds..

I certainly would.

I don't think Exum is 100% recovered from his 2013 ACL injury. Dion Sanders commented to that effect during the drills. With that in mind, Exum's 4.59 40, 4.13 short shuttle, 7.05 3-cone and 35" vertical are all probably a little less than optimal, and they are still quite acceptable.

ACL injuries don't scare me that much. Medically, so much progress has been made, and there is such a good track record of guys coming back from even multiple ACL injuries to play at a Pro Bowl level.

It generally takes up to 18 months to full recover from an ACL. Exum is 14 months out from his injury. I expect he'll be moving much better by OTAs, not to mention training camp.

I'll have to take a closer look at Ellis! But certainly the value would be a lot better in the 4th if he can also deliver the goods as a football player. Athletically, Ellis does look a little better in terms of agility. But there's a lot more that goes into a football player. Example - how good is his hand punch, his explosiveness off the line. How does he handle double teams. How is his motor? Is he an instinctive player or does he take bad angles to stop the run, Etc. etc.

This is the thing people need to remember. During and straight after the combine everyone gets caught up in the numbers but overlook really the factor that matter the most, can these guys actually play football? I really like Ellis, I think he can be a good player and he tested out better athletically than Nix. But there is no question that Nix is a far better football player, particularly at this stage. Of all of the athletic numbers tested none of them are significant for Nose Tackles. While Ellis may have tested better, there is nothing in Nix's numbers that are concerning.

Combine time is probably the most frustrating part of the draft process for me. Don't get me wrong I love the combine because I think its entertainment and its great that football is back in the media, but people, fans in particular read way too much into the numbers. Are they completely insignificant? No, but I certainly don't think they are overly important. They are a small piece of the process but in the end what it all comes down to is one simple thing, which guys can play football. I don't care what guys to in a t-shirt and shorts, I care what they do in a helmet and pads.

This is the thing people need to remember. During and straight after the combine everyone gets caught up in the numbers but overlook really the factor that matter the most, can these guys actually play football? I really like Ellis, I think he can be a good player and he tested out better athletically than Nix. But there is no question that Nix is a far better football player, particularly at this stage. Of all of the athletic numbers tested none of them are significant for Nose Tackles. While Ellis may have tested better, there is nothing in Nix's numbers that are concerning.

Combine time is probably the most frustrating part of the draft process for me. Don't get me wrong I love the combine because I think its entertainment and its great that football is back in the media, but people, fans in particular read way too much into the numbers. Are they completely insignificant? No, but I certainly don't think they are overly important. They are a small piece of the process but in the end what it all comes down to is one simple thing, which guys can play football. I don't care what guys to in a t-shirt and shorts, I care what they do in a helmet and pads.

In general, when evaluating prospects, I look at the following:

1. Quality of the tape. How much does the guy show - how explosive does he look, what can he do.
2. Consistency of the tape. As important if not more important than the quality.
3. Measurables.
4. Performance in benchmarks. Gives some sense of athletic ability.
5. Intelligence / processing speed.
6. Technique - from both film and drills (Combine, Pro Day and All Star Games)
7. Schematic issues. Was a prospects' play affected by how they were used? Is he a limited schematic fit?
8. Motor / work ethic.
9. Medical issues.
10. Character issues.

In the case of Nix, the Combine numbers are somewhat concerning to me. Nix showed no athletic evidence of explosiveness or quickness, despite having lost 20#. His 1.87 10 yard split, 8.29 3-cone, 25.5" GJ and 8'1" BJ were all below standard. I wasn't expecting Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata kind of numbers, but those numbers aren't nearly as good as those of Sealver Siliga, Terrance Knighton Jonathan Hankins or Brandon Williamscoming out of college. They're frankly almost as close to those posted by Terrance Cody in 2010 - 1.90 1-split, 8.21 3-cone, 21.5" VJ and 7'6" BJ at 349#- a guy who was considered a dominant NT by many, but who lacked any explosiveness or agility.

The numbers aren't the be-all end-all by any means (Vince Wilfork's numbers weren't that much better - 26.5" VJ, 8'5" BJ, 7.62 3C), but for a potential 1st round pick I certainly would look at them carefully. To my mind, those numbers raise a few questions about Nix:

- Are his knees an issue?
- Did he lose the weight too quickly?
- Is Nix really as explosive and agile on tape as we thought he was?
- Did Nix benefit from the players around him?

I'm not suggesting an answer to those questions, but I think they have to be asked, and the film has to be re-reviewed.

Ellis was already good and getting hyped before the combine. His numbers are just a confirmation.
And his weight loss in such a short período of time is admirable.
I would certainly take him in the 3rd way before i take Nix in the first.

As I said in my original post check out the tape of Ellis and don't just go by the combine numbers. With due respect I just think he has the bigger upside. I like his hand work and I like his leverage. IMO the kid can play football.

I agree 100%, and I've made that point several times.

BTW, Ellis "official" 40 times was 5.27, not that it matters. Nix's was 5.42.

Those were what I saw listed when I posted but thanks for the offical correction.

Like I said check out some of his tape and judge for yourself.

In general, when evaluating prospects, I look at the following:

1. Quality of the tape. How much does the guy show - how explosive does he look, what can he do.
2. Consistency of the tape. As important if not more important than the quality.
3. Measurables.
4. Performance in benchmarks. Gives some sense of athletic ability.
5. Intelligence / processing speed.
6. Technique - from both film and drills (Combine, Pro Day and All Star Games)
7. Schematic issues. Was a prospects' play affected by how they were used? Is he a limited schematic fit?
8. Motor / work ethic.
9. Medical issues.
10. Character issues.

In the case of Nix, the Combine numbers are somewhat concerning to me. Nix showed no athletic evidence of explosiveness or quickness, despite having lost 20#. His 1.87 10 yard split, 8.29 3-cone, 25.5" GJ and 8'1" BJ were all below standard. I wasn't expecting Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata kind of numbers, but those numbers aren't nearly as good as those of Sealver Siliga, Terrance Knighton Jonathan Hankins or Brandon Williamscoming out of college. They're frankly almost as close to those posted by Terrance Cody in 2010 - 1.90 1-split, 8.21 3-cone, 21.5" VJ and 7'6" BJ at 349#- a guy who was considered a dominant NT by many, but who lacked any explosiveness or agility.

The numbers aren't the be-all end-all by any means (Vince Wilfork's numbers weren't that much better - 26.5" VJ, 8'5" BJ, 7.62 3C), but for a potential 1st round pick I certainly would look at them carefully. To my mind, those numbers raise a few questions about Nix:

- Are his knees an issue?
- Did he lose the weight too quickly?
- Is Nix really as explosive and agile on tape as we thought he was?
- Did Nix benefit from the players around him?

I'm not suggesting an answer to those questions, but I think they have to be asked, and the film has to be re-reviewed.

My issue is how many of those athletic numbers are applicable to NT's? To me none of them have any bearing on a guys ability to play NT. His 40 time and even 10 yard split are irrelevant for me because he's never asked to go up the field freely. Hell, he will probably go most of his career without taking 2 steps off the snap with contact. His broad jump and vertical leap were fine for a guy his size, especially coming off knee surgery. I know a lot of people put a lot of stock into the 3 cone as a measure of agility but it really only measures one specific set of movement. If you are asking your NT to move similar to a 3 cone drill you are using him wrong. I just don't see any of the quantifiable combine tests having any bearing on the NT position.

To me the much more significant evaluation tool at the combine is the positional drills because they are football applicable. Unfortunately that isn't something that is quantifiable but Nix reportedly did much better in those drills. The tape shows he has quickness and agility, unfortunately there are no quantifiable drills at the combine which tests those specific movements. The key to his agility is his quick feet which allow him to keep his weight above his legs, maintain his center of gravity and stay balanced. That isn't something the combine tests, so for me I think we would learn a lot more about Louis Nix athleticism watching him ballroom dance than we do watching him run a 40 or a 3 cone drill.

In the end what does it matter if his athletic numbers at the combine aren't great when he shows the quickness and athleticism on tape? The tape shows his football applicable athleticism that isn't quantifiable. I wll take that any day over a number at th combine. Even then I think there are still much more significant factors for a NT like his ability to anchor, technique and hand usage. Those are the things that matter to me and what Nix excels in.

I don't think the weight loss is an issue, but the knee certainly could be. This is a guy that had meniscus surgery in November so I think that certainly may have impacted his performance. It is certainly something that will need to be assessed by the team medical staff but I don't see any point in speculating about that. I haven't heard anything that says it is a major long term concern. I also wouldn't put much stock in the benefitting from guys around him theory because he was always double teamed. If anything it was Nix that took the attention away from guys like Te'o and Tuitt allowing them to excel. Also looking at the National Championship Game where Alabama's game plan was to run everything away from Nix shows how other teams viewed Nix compared to the rest of his team.

As I said in my original post check out the tape of Ellis and don't just go by the combine numbers. With due respect I just think he has the bigger upside. I like his hand work and I like his leverage. IMO the kid can play football

I'm not knocking Ellis, I really like him too and as you said its because he's got good tape. I don't care about his testing numbers, I like him because he played well during the season and stood out in the post season games where he excelled in football specific activities. My point was more that Nix has become underrated than it was that Ells isn't a good player. Nix has simply played at a higher level, more consistently against tougher competition. Many analysts thought he would have been the top rated DT in last years draft had he declared. Now he is falling because of his injury and the fact that NT isn't a 'sexy' position (which I have said would happen for months) and we may have the chance at getting a top 10 talent at a discount. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with Ellis in the 4th though.

Some post-Combine notes from Bruce Feldman at CBS Sports:

• As I wrote a month ago, Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas is a fascinating case for NFL personnel people. Thomas actually didn't have much quarterbacking experience before arriving in Blacksburg. He was recruited as a tight end. He had a terrific sophomore year but was shaky the past two years as the skill talent around him declined. His accuracy is suspect, as is his decision-making. His physical tools and size are jaw-dropping as NFL folks now can attest. At 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, he had the fastest 40 among all the QBs (4.61), the best vertical (35.5 inches), longest broad-jump (9-10) and also most velocity on his throws (60 mph ... Pitt's Tom Savage was next at 57 mph I'm told). Having spent a lot of time around Thomas for the past two months for my upcoming QB book, I've found him very easy-going and likable. Of course, the latter two impressions don't necessarily mean he'll impress NFL brass who are looking for presence and confidence in their QB prospects. Still, Thomas as a developmental project will be very tempting for some NFL teams I suspect.

• Quietly, a great trip for Stanford's hard-running Tyler Gaffney. I doubt anyone -- player or coach -- in the Pac-12 would've predicted the 220-pound Cardinal RB would've run a faster 40 time than Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas, who has had a pretty dismal past six months. Gaffney ran a 4.49 to go with an 11.36 60-yard shuttle -- best among running backs. DAT, who is blazing fast on the field and also has legit track credentials, "only" clocked a 4.50 despite weighing just 174 pounds and is coming off an underwhelming season plagued by injury.

• I spoke to several NFL personnel folks who came away loving LSU WR/KR Odell Beckham Jr. almost as much as Cam Cameron and the Tigers staff does. I've been on the Beckham bandwagon for a while, and he promptly tore it up in Indy, running 4.4 and displaying magnificent hands and quickness in the on-field drills. He's gonna be a star in the NFL. Fast.

• There are two-super sized WRs in this draft: Texas A&M's Mike Evans and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin. Evans was the much more productive college player. Benjamin has more of a wow factor when you first see him. Both are still very raw as route runners. Evans, though, separated himself even more from Benjamin with a very impressive workout, running 4.53 and vertical jumping 37 inches -- 4.5 inches more than the big Nole, who ran a 4.61 40. Evans' shuttle times also were faster than Benjamin's. Evans is still young -- he won't turn 21 until a few weeks before Week 1 of the 2014 NFL season. If he has even an average NFL starting QB, my hunch is he'll be in the Pro Bowl by the time he's 23.

• Speaking of Evans, Missouri CB E.J. Gaines, who lined up against many of the best WRs in the SEC, called Vandy's smooth Jordan Matthews, not Evans, the top wideout he faced in his career. Like Evans, Matthews has terrific size and hands, but Gaines said the difference in college was the Commodore's polished route-running. This draft is stacked with good receivers. I feel like now that Beckham's stock seems to be soaring, Matthews may be the most underrated in the group. He's 6-3, 212, has huge hands and ran in the mid 4.4s. The guy made a ton of plays in the SEC despite being the main focus of rival teams and he was on one of the few teams that didn't have a standout QB.

• I think if O-linemen worked out later in the week than at the start of the combine more people outside of Indy would've been talking about what an awesome showing Auburn's Greg Robinson had. The 6-5, 332-pounder clocked a stunning 4.92 in the 40 (only Michigan's Taylor Lewan ran faster) along with broad jumping 9-5. Why wasn't there more talk about Robinson's workout? Probably because it occurred at a time when many people aren't sure exactly when the workout part begins in Indy and most of the media is focused on the QBs, skill guys and head coaches and GMs filtering into the interview room.

• The D-lineman who had the best week in Indy was Pitt's Aaron Donald, who was great in-season and at the Senior Bowl. Seen as a bit undersized for a DT at 285 pounds, Donald clocked in the 4.6s. His long arms were also measured at 32 5/8 inches, which makes his 35 reps on the bench even more impressive. Best of all, he has tons of terrific film. "The guy is [an] absolute beast," one NFL scout said. "He's relentless. I would've hated to play against this guy." I saw people make comparisons to Geno Atkins and Hall of Famer John Randle. That's impressive company.

• I've been chirping about Buffalo's Kahlil Mack all season and was glad to see he more than backed up that hype. His 40-inch vertical at 250 was a good example of the explosiveness that makes his so special. I'll be surprised if he isn't a top-10 pick. Amazing considering most coaches looked right past him in the recruiting process when they flocked to his high school to check out a four-star teammate (Miami DT Luther Robinson). Mack actually first committed to FCS Liberty before then-UB assistant Danny Barrett spotted him.

• I had a chance to visit with an NFL linebackers coach not long after he had met with former Ohio State star Ryan Shazier. The coach seemed surprised -- and thrilled that Shazier came in at 237 pounds. Word was he was almost 20 pounds lighter than that near the end of the Buckeyes' 2013 season. The coach loved Shazier's athleticism, which was later backed up by a 42-inch vertical.

• South Dakota's Tyler Starr didn't set the combine record for linebackers in the three-cone drill like he said he might. His time of 6.64 seconds, though, was tops among all LBs, but the 6-4, 250-pounder's 40 time of 4.95 is at least 0.2 slower than expected. The small-school LB that created the most buzz in Indy was Montana's Jordan Tripp, a lighter guy at 234 who moved exceptionally well. Tripp ran 4.67 in the 40 and his 3.69 in the short shuttle and 6.89 in the 3-cone were among the fastest at the position. Tripp also was very impressive in the on-field drills.

• Shrinkage is rarely a good thing, although in Calvin Pryor's case I'm not sure it's gonna be a big deal. Still, it was curious to see the DB Louisville had listed at 6-2 this year measure just 5-11. Regardless, he hits like a linebacker and has very good range.

• Over the years of doing the Freaks list there has been some skepticism about the validity of some of the testing numbers included in the stories. Thanks to Aaron Aloysius, for the heads-up noting the case of Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief, who last year put up these numbers: 4.44 in the 40, 11-1 broad jump and 39-inch vertical. At the combine, his numbers almost mirrored them: 4.40 in the 40; 11-0 in the broad jump and 39.5 vertical.

Thoughts from a week spent at the NFL combine - CBSSports.com

I'm not knocking Ellis, I really like him too and as you said its because he's got good tape. I don't care about his testing numbers, I like him because he played well during the season and stood out in the post season games where he excelled in football specific activities. My point was more that Nix has become underrated than it was that Ells isn't a good player. Nix has simply played at a higher level, more consistently against tougher competition. Many analysts thought he would have been the top rated DT in last years draft had he declared. Now he is falling because of his injury and the fact that NT isn't a 'sexy' position (which I have said would happen for months) and we may have the chance at getting a top 10 talent at a discount. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with Ellis in the 4th though.
I'm not willing to expend a first round draft pick on a two down run stuffing nose tackle.

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Worse case scenario, I would double dip with Ellis in the fourth and Kerr in the seventh, if Siliga was considered a questionable defensive tackle.

I'm not willing to expend a first round draft pick on a two down run stuffing nose tackle.

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Worse case scenario, I would double dip with Ellis in the fourth and Kerr in the seventh, if Siliga was considered a questionable defensive tackle.

I agree, but where I think we differ is our evaluation of Nix. Personally I believe (as does Daniel Jeremiah) that Nix had the potential to be much more than just a 2 down player because he can also push the pocket and create interior pressure. I believe the way Jermiah described him is having the potential "to be a 3 down difference maker."

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back