PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next Stop, the Underwear Olympics

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/combine

Feb. 22-25

Who's ready for the combine? :D A magical place where the Stephen Hills of the world go from a 4th round projection to a late 1st, etc.

What players do you think will blow up the combine, skyrocketing up boards in the process, and vice versa?

I will get round to commenting on this but I just wanted to say, I want to shorten your name so that I can refer to you. how does"Pits" work for you? :)

So what happens if Dee Ford outperforms Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack at the combine? Does he jump into the top 10?

I think the WR position in the first round is very much in flux. For me, only Sammy Watkins is an absolute first round lock. I think the combine could affect the WR ranking after Watkins. What if Mike Evans runs a 4'65? What if Donte Moncrief runs a sub 4.4? What if Paul Richardson or Brandin Cooks run in the very low 4.3's?

So what happens if Dee Ford outperforms Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack at the combine? Does he jump into the top 10?

NFL DraftScout already has Dee Ford up to #18, so top 10 certainly isn't out of the question. It's all in the eye of the beholder - Tyson Alualu went #10 in 2010, and was projected as a 2nd round pick by most. Stephon Gilmore went #10 in 2012, and he was a late riser who was projected as a 2nd round pick around this time 2 years ago. I think the biggest obstacle would be Barr and Mack, who are very, very good and who have a lot of tape. Neither probably has Ford's ridiculous 1st step and snap anticipation, but both are more rounded players with terrific physical ability and a ton of success. But again, it's not out of the question.

I think the WR position in the first round is very much in flux. For me, only Sammy Watkins is an absolute first round lock. I think the combine could affect the WR ranking after Watkins. What if Mike Evans runs a 4'65? What if Donte Moncrief runs a sub 4.4? What if Paul Richardson or Brandin Cooks run in the very low 4.3's?

There's so much depth at the WR position, I'd have to agree with you. Watkins is probably a lock as the #1 receiver off the board, and probably a top 10 pick. But Kelvin Benjamin, Marquise Lee, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham, Allen Robinson and others could all be fighting for position. There are reports that some teams really question Evans' ability to separate, and may not have him in the 1st round at all if he doesn't run well at the Combine, for example.

Fortunately, I don't believe in taking WRs in the 1st round, so I can just sit back and watch the competition. :D

I read on twitter that Brett Smith hasn't got a combine invite which is surprising and probably says something about how the NFL perceive him. Potential bargain or just a bust in waiting?

List of players invited to the Combine:

2014 NFL Draft: Combine list includes 85 underclassmen - CBSSports.com

And, some of the snubs:

2014 NFL Draft: Combine snubs at each position - CBSSports.com

No Brett Smith or Zach Bauman, among others.

Guys who I'm personally interested to see, among many others:

OT Greg Robinson, Auburn
OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada
OL Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
OL Billy Turner, North Dakota St.
OC Weston Richburg, Colorado St.
TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
TE Richard Rodgers, Cal
TE Colt Lyerla, Oregon
WR Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley St.
DE Taylor Hart, Oregon
DE Aaron Lynch, USF
DE Trent Murphy, Stanford
DE Kony Ealy, Missouri
DE Larry Webster, Bloomsburg
DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota
DT Aaron Donald, Pitt
DT Deandre Coleman, Cal
DT Brent Urban, Virginia
DT Caraun Reid, Princeton
LB Christian Jones, Florida St.
OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU
DE/OLB Marcus Smith, Louisville
DE/OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
DE/OLB Dee Ford, Auburn
OLB Carl Bradford, Arizona St.
OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska
DB Jonathan Dowling, Western Kentucky
DB Antone Exum, Virginia Tech (not sure if he'll be working out)
DB Dontae Johnson, North Carolina St.
S Calvin Pryor, Louisville
S Deone Bucannon, Washington St.
S Ed Reynolds, Stanford

PLEASE make all these things happen and push some defensive talent down to the Pats.

Who's ready for the combine? :D A magical place where the Stephen Hills of the world go from a 4th round projection to a late 1st, etc.

I would love to see some metric of how much measurables matter position by position. For instance, my impression is that anybody who falls in love with a QB based on his measurables is a sucker...but so is anybody who falls in love with a DE despite his measurables.

Someday when I have a free 100 hours maybe I'll work on it? :rolleyes:

I would love to see some metric of how much measurables matter position by position. For instance, my impression is that anybody who falls in love with a QB based on his measurables is a sucker...but so is anybody who falls in love with a DE despite his measurables.

Someday when I have a free 100 hours maybe I'll work on it? :rolleyes:

I remember someone writing about Terrelle Pryor's pro day and he actually had NFL decision makers tell him that they were seriously re-evaluating him following his 4.4 40. Needless to say he went to the Raiders.

I really am looking forward the guys that I think would be able to help us. I'm focusing on the defense though:

-Crichton
-Dee Ford
-Jernigan
-Tuitt
-Gilbert
-Pryor
-Hageman
-Amaro
-Trent Murphy
-Donald
-Marcus Smith

Really looking forward to the combine this year. With this being such a deep draft, it should be really fun!!!

I really am looking forward the guys that I think would be able to help us. I'm focusing on the defense though:

-Crichton
-Dee Ford
-Jernigan
-Tuitt
-Gilbert
-Pryor
-Hageman
-Amaro
-Trent Murphy
-Donald
-Marcus Smith

Really looking forward to the combine this year. With this being such a deep draft, it should be really fun!!!

Which Gilbert are you referring to? Garrett Gilbert, the QB, or Justin Gilbert, the CB. I'm assuming that you don't mean David Gilbert, the DE out of Miami who is rated as a low UDFA currently.

I really am looking forward the guys that I think would be able to help us.

I'm focusing on the defense though:

-Crichton
-Dee Ford
-Jernigan
-Tuitt
-Gilbert
-Pryor
-Hageman
-Amaro
-Trent Murphy
-Donald
-Marcus Smith

Which Gilbert are you referring to? Garrett Gilbert, the QB, or Justin Gilbert, the CB. I'm assuming that you don't mean David Gilbert, the DE out of Miami who is rated as a low UDFA currently.

Unless you know a QuarterBack that plays Defense, I think it's safe to assume that she meant Justin. ;)

Unless you know a QuarterBack that plays Defense, I think it's safe to assume that she meant Justin. ;)

I'm not sure Amaro is playing both ways though. Mind you, Ebron does so it wouldn't be impossible.

Yes, that's correct, I was talking about Justin Gilbert.

Fair enough.. for some reason I read just "These are the players I'm focusing on"...

I love this time of year. It's the time when lesser prospects post really good numbers at regional combines and pro days and end up as binkies. So let me introduce a safety prospect at the Houston Regional Combine:

S Devon Simmons, Old Dominion (2013)

Height/weight: 6-1, 199
Vertical: 42 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 10 inches
40-yard dash: 4.6 seconds

Simmons had one of the best tryouts of the day on the defensive side. While I expected Simmons to run faster than 4.6, his explosive traits were on full display with an outstanding vertical leap and broad jump. Equally impressive was Simmons' ability to transition and change direction around the field while also tracking deep balls and finishing with catches.

Regional Combine: Several pro prospects worthy of attention - NFL.com

For comparisons sake, Eric Reid had a 40.5 vertical and a 11' 2" broad jump whilst running 4.53. Another 10lbs on that frame and knocking of .10 on his 40 would make him really interesting.

There's even some highlight video

Devon Simmons #10 ODU - YouTube

Edit: It looks like this is his second shot at getting into the NFL as he was a senior prior to last years draft and had a pro day (7.10 3cone for those interested :) )

I love this time of year. It's the time when lesser prospects post really good numbers at regional combines and pro days and end up as Binkies.

I hear ya, Brother!! Trolling through the UnderBrush for Truffles!! :rocker:

He's a borderline TE but I wonder whether Trey Burton might be a move TE pick for BB. I don't know how good his lateral agility is and I think his blocking is suspect (only 225-230lbs) but he has a tremendous amount of burst and lines up in the backfield and as a receiver. He had 12 TDs in his first year under Urban Meyer, albeit 11 rushing, but has struggled to find a place under Muschamp. He does feel a bit like a BB pick though. Will need to see his 3 cone :)

He's a borderline TE but I wonder whether Trey Burton might be a move TE pick for BB. I don't know how good his lateral agility is and I think his blocking is suspect (only 225-230lbs) but he has a tremendous amount of burst and lines up in the backfield and as a receiver. He had 12 TDs in his first year under Urban Meyer, albeit 11 rushing, but has struggled to find a place under Muschamp. He does feel a bit like a BB pick though. Will need to see his 3 cone :)

I've been thinking about him as a potential Patriot for a while. His "mismatch" ability is significant and he's going to basically come for free since he doesn't have a true position.

I've been thinking about him as a potential Patriot for a while. His "mismatch" ability is significant and he's going to basically come for free since he doesn't have a true position.

I hate to be a bore about this but I think he'll need a good 3 cone. Hernandez had a 6.83 for example. I don't think BB really goes in for straight line speed only.

This passage only helps the case for Burton:

It’s just staying positive and open and not saying, ‘I want to do just this or just that,’ and things like that,” Burton said. “Being accepting to whatever they want you to do.”

That even extended to a conversation about moving to safety, which coach Will Muschamp considered in 2011. Muschamp believed Burton could be an asset in the secondary, and Burton was eager to give it a shot, but the Gators ultimately decided he was more valuable in the offense.

He'll probably be a good special teamer too. He's a bit Julian Edelman-ish in his versatility.

He was also a team captain this year (another check). And finally there's this:

The coaches credit Burton as an extension of the staff, knowing where every player should be on every snap. His savvy was particularly helpful in his freshman year, when former coach Urban Meyer frequently cycled three quarterbacks — Burton, Jordan Reed and John Brantley — on one possession. Burton often helped Reed and other players get lined up correctly.

His thorough grasp of the offense also gives him the ability to make quick fixes when he notices something is amiss.

“When somebody messes up, he lines up at a tight end spot when that’s not even his position just to cover it up and make sure we’ve got the right formation to make the play work,” Pease said. “I mean, he’s that smart. He sees the whole picture.”

Do-it-all Trey Burton gives Florida offense versatile weapon | www.palmbeachpost.com

I like him as a 6th or 7th rounder.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back