PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Years Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob's "sources" were guys he claimed were "close to Brady" and Peter King's opinion.

I actually value Peter King's opinion as do more people here than you are aware of. He may act like a d-bag and diss the Pats sometimes but he's been right on matters such as this one more times than he has been wrong. Also, we have a Brady blog stating that his knee was doing fine just a week before the news broke on ESPN (of all places, this is not a good website to agree with. I'll take Peter King's opinion over their's) stating that the all to familiar "anonymous source" said that Brady was behind in his recovery. Really, tomorrow, I can call into ESPN and tell them that I'm an "anonymous source with knowledge of Brady" and say that he just broke his back. Would that be valid? Absolutely not. That piece of news is something that anyone can start, including you and me.

Actually I did think of Brady's 60 minutes interview when I thought about him retiring. And it was in 2005, not 2007.

If it was in 2005 then that takes EVEN MORE credibility away from your argument. If that's what you were going on by saying football may not be important to him anymore then he's proven your wrong himself three years in a row.

Brady retires, Cassel signs long-term w/ NE.

Wow, that would be the ultimate shocker. But I predict that the Pats will win the coveted offseason award. No really, I think the Pats will go all out like they did in '03 and '07 and load up on defense. My prediction is their going to somehow get Nnamdi Asomugha and one of the Ravens LB's (Terrell Suggs, Ray Lewis or Bart Scott). Although we can all agree that this was Bill's best coaching year ever, I think Bill is starting to realize that to win championships these days (this isn't 2001-2004) you have to have good players to run your scheme. Bill did what he could with what he had and it won him 11 games which was fantastic, especially with all of the injuries to your star QB an best LB (Thomas). But that 3rd and 15 against the Jets is one of the reasons why the Pats are home early. To recap, my prediction is, the Pats go all out on defense by signing quality players, not those scrubs they signed last season.

Last edited:
Following the game vs Bucs in London, the Pats team will be kidnapped and forced to play in Europe for the rest of the season. By me!

Cassell will not return for the 2009-10 season - neither will Pierre Woods or Rodney Harrison :(

If it was in 2005 then that takes EVEN MORE credibility away from your argument. If that's what you were going on by saying football may not be important to him anymore then he's proven your wrong himself three years in a row.

In my opinion that interview gave me the impression that he could retire earlier than usual for a QB. That still would be true even in 2009. He hasn't even been in the NFL a decade. Nobody said football wasn't important to him - you are making that up.

In my opinion that interview gave me the impression that he could retire earlier than usual for a QB. That still would be true even in 2009. He hasn't even been in the NFL a decade. Nobody said football wasn't important to him - you are making that up.

You're stating that football is not as important to him than it has been in years past and it may not be that important to him now. Would you like me to quote this for you? Here...

But I understand some realities that you may fail to realize - Brady doesn't need the game as much as we think he should need it. Sure he's a fierce competitor, but what has he left to prove?

And, for that matter, considering all the speculation of how much Spygate positively impacted him and how he's "just a system quarterback", I would think he has a little left to prove.

Wow, that would be the ultimate shocker.

It would be as shocking as blowing a 21-3 lead to Indy in the playoffs, having a scandal tarnish the SB's in the minds of NFL fans, blowing an undefeated season in the SB, losing Brady 7 minutes into game 1 and going 11-5 while missing the playoffs....in other words, status quo for the Pats.

It would be as shocking as blowing a 21-3 lead to Indy in the playoffs, having a scandal tarnish the SB's in the minds of NFL fans, blowing an undefeated season in the SB, losing Brady 7 minutes into game 1 and going 11-5 while missing the playoffs....in other words, status quo for the Pats.

After really thinking about that, the Pats have had some pretty damn bad luck since they won their last superbowl.

After really thinking about that, the Pats have had some pretty damn bad luck since they won their last superbowl.

Not really. The scandal being overblown (which wasn't that big of a deal... people already hated us prior to that) and Brady going down were bad luck. Anything else that richpats mentioned fell squarely on us. We made our own luck in those cases.

You're stating that football is not as important to him than it has been in years past and it may not be that important to him now. Would you like me to quote this for you? Here...

Try and get your story straight - you are implying 2 different things.

If that's what you were going on by saying football may not be important to him anymore then he's proven your wrong himself three years in a row.

That statement is implying that I don't think Brady considers football important AT ALL. I think he does, just not at the risk of his health or the Pats' future.

Last edited:
wow ... that's a heck of a prediction if it happens. :eek:

To clarify...the Pats trade Cassel before the draft. Brady is just not quite ready to start and needs a couple of games to complete rehab and get back to form.

The first game is in NJ where the stadium is renamed "No Fan Stadium" when the Jets play there. The HC is little Schot. Favre hobbles onto the field with a soft cast on a leg, a prosthetic left hand and dentures. He then throws a pass to Hobbs. O'Connell hits Moss for three deep TDs and lights up Welker for 200+ recieving yards and two TDs. He does the same thing to the Dolphins in Foxboro the next game and here we go again. :)

Not really. The scandal being overblown (which wasn't that big of a deal... people already hated us prior to that) and Brady going down were bad luck. Anything else that richpats mentioned fell squarely on us. We made our own luck in those cases.

That is true.

Like RIGHT after - Bruschi's stroke was a couple weeks after if I recall correctly.

So did Tom say he was going to restructure? Did he say that he would come back regardless of a 2nd surgery?

Why wouldn't he restructure if he was willing to retire? He is due $8 million in salary and roster bonus alone in 2009. If he retires, he gets none of it. If he restructures, he might get at least $2 million and then if he retires before the 2010 season, he still has $2 million more.

Because if Brady isn't around in 2009 we have to make long-term plans for
Matt Cassel, plain and simple. Brady's contract also runs out in 2010 - we have no long-term security at QB if Brady comes into 2010 (or even late 2009) with a year-plus away from the game.
I never even said anything about "unretiring" in 2010- that is something you keep making up on your own.

I added the 2010 my self as the best case scenario of him retiring. Brady is only 30. Even if he misses the 2009 season, he still could play another six or seven years. Why would he make the decision to retire at such a young age especially when even the worst we have heard about his situation doesn't make it career ending.

Just because you're willing to put up a grand doesn't make your points anymore valid or mine any less valid.

No me putting a grand down just shows how ludicrious I think the idea of Brady retiring assuming he doesn't suffer a major set back is.

Again, you are stuck in the mindset of what you WANT to happen. You want Brady to come back and frankly so do I. But I understand some realities that you may fail to realize - Brady doesn't need the game as much as we think he should need it. Sure he's a fierce competitor, but what has he left to prove? When he walks into training camp I will believe he's going to start in 2009. Until then I stand by my opinion.

My mindset is the reality of the situation. There is no grounds in reality that Brady's career is done or he has any intentions of retiring. Michael Silver who is very close to Brady (maybe more so than any writer in sports) said that Brady is planning on being ready for training camp.

Even Tom Curran who wrote the piece said it was only a possibility that he could miss the 2009 season. Curran since then has said he believes that Brady will probably play at some point in 2009.

Try and get your story straight - you are implying 2 different things.

No I'm not. You were the one saying that you don't think football is all that important to Brady anymore when he keeps coming back and has said himself that he plans on coming back in 2009. To try to spin that and put it back on me is a copout.

That statement is implying that I don't think Brady considers football important AT ALL. I think he does, just not at the risk of his health or the Pats' future.

Well duh. Football is not that important to anybody at the risk of their health. When I say health, that means serious injuries such as a broken neck, the risk of paralysis, or brain damage from multiple concussions. Brady's injury, while bad, is nowhere near any of those injuries which have made multiple superstars walk away from the game.

Last edited:
Rob's "sources" were guys he claimed were "close to Brady" and Peter King's opinion. How are those credible again? Actually I did think of Brady's 60 minutes interview when I thought about him retiring. And it was in 2005, not 2007.

Actually, I am going on Michael Silver's claims. He is friends with Brady and the only guy in the media who calls him Tommy (only his friends call him that). Here is what he said:

Contrary to a report on nbcsports.com, which suggests that Tom Brady’s knee injury is healing so slowly that he might have to sit out the 2009 season, my sources tell me that the Patriots quarterback is rehabbing daily at the team’s facility and expects to be ready for next year’s opener.

Although he would never say it was Brady who told him this unless Brady wanted to go on record (which he clearly doesn't want to do), but I wouldn't be surprised if that information came directly from Brady's mouth or at least Will McDonough's.

When it comes to Brady and his intentions, I trust Michael Silver over anyone. He is definitely closer to Brady than either Curran or King.

No I'm not. You were the one saying that you don't think football is all that important to Brady anymore when he keeps coming back and has said himself that he plans on coming back in 2009. To try to spin that and put it back on me is a copout.

You keep giving me different interpretations of what I say. I said that Brady gave me the impression that he would retire earlier than usual for a QB- how is that saying football isn't all that important to him?

Michael Silver who is very close to Brady (maybe more so than any writer in sports) said that Brady is planning on being ready for training camp.

I'm sure Brady was planning on playing out 2008 as well. Why don't you wait until he's declared ready to play before you start laying your money down.

Brady never said that he would retire earlier than usual. Most reporters who cover Brady on a daily basis said his desire to retire early and pursue other interests is overblown. Him talking about football not being everything just means that when he was 25, he was single with no one to worry about other than himself. Now he has other responsibilities like a son and maybe a fiance and that he has to prioritize a little bit more (that is Tom Curran's words on Friday).

You keep giving me different interpretations of what I say. I said that Brady gave me the impression that he would retire earlier than usual for a QB- how is that saying football isn't all that important to him?

You just said that football wasn't that important to him (albeit you said "not at the rish of his own health"). But here, since you seem to have forgotten...

you said:
I think he does, just not at the risk of his health or the Pats' future.

I'm sure Brady was planning on playing out 2008 as well. Why don't you wait until he's declared ready to play before you start laying your money down.

Ummm..... Did Brady retire this season? Must have missed it. Missing a season or even two from an ACL and MCL tear and retiring to make way for the new guy and not risk another injury are two very different things.

If Brady intends to play in 2009 as of right now, only a major set back would make him want to retire. Which is what I am saying.

If you don't think Brady intends to play in 2009 no matter how unrealistic it is, you haven't been followed Brady's career. Brady will try to come back just to prove the medical experts wrong. That is the type of guy Brady is and everyone who knows him will tell you that.

Ok, this is getting silly now. I am done with the ridiculous of debating whether Brady will retire before next season or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes