PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW RULE is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when you come into a thread that is discussing a penalty call and start spouting the "we didnt play well enough" thats what it seems like.

What was your point?

To piss you off

Back to the rule. It ws pointed out on Mike & Mike this morning that there is a rule that another offensive player cannot push/pull another offensive player (ie; RB) is order to gain additional yards.

This rule has been in effect forever is very rarely called. The rules are the rules, some are not called and some are. But was C. Jones commiting a flagrant rule violation? I does not appear to be. In fact, it was hardly noticeable and in my opinion should have not been called a penalty. I would say the same thing if it were the Jets that were called.

Back to the rule. It ws pointed out on Mike & Mike this morning that there is a rule that another offensive player cannot push/pull another offensive player (ie; RB) is order to gain additional yards.

This rule has been in effect forever is very rarely called. The rules are the rules, some are not called and some are. But was C. Jones commiting a flagrant rule violation? I does not appear to be. In fact, it was hardly noticeable and in my opinion should have not been called a penalty. I would say the same thing if it were the Jets that were called.

The same rule says a defender can't align even with the snapper's shoulder pads, and you saw it all day yesterday for both teams.

Exactly, Nut.

I never knew the rule you mentioned exists PRECISELY because some offensive player pushes another offensive player forward 4-5 times in every game and it is NEVER called.

Let's face it - - this was a ticky-tack penalty that was not called earlier on Coples and has never been called in an NFL game before - - other than a second level player jumping on a teammate's back. To decide to throw the flag in that particular situation in an overtime game "is what it is".

Pats are 5-2 and need to improve is the bottom line. ***** happens and that call was *****. Doesn't change the facts that they lost, have things to work on and are in first place with good weapons getting back from injuries in the next few weeks.

It's another year and another AFCE title - - ho hum. Let the Jets and their fans throw their ticker tape parade for their achievement of temporarily being in second place.

Since when does a penalty get called only if it impacted the play?

You're kidding me, right? There are probably a dozen rules (11 of them holding :) ) violations every play and refs ignore almost all of them except for those that directly impact the play or are egregarious. I can't believe you watch football and don't know this...

The same rule says a defender can't align even with the snapper's shoulder pads, and you saw it all day yesterday for both teams.

This is my one major gripe with the rule. It's a 15 yard penalty that can only be called on field goal attempts, FFS, which means it's a damn near guaranteed 3-7 point swing every time it's called. Based on that, it absolutely needs to be called consistently. Selective enforcement is worse than not having the rule at all.

As long as it's consistently enforced, I don't really care one way or the other about it. If it improves player safety, then that's a good thing, but at the same time I'm not sure that I buy the premise that long snappers were in very much danger in the first place. How often do they get injured on the line of scrimmage? Almost every injury that I've ever seen to a long snapper was while he was attempting a tackle (see: Aiken yesterday).

Well now, according to some talking heads, the reason it was called was because Rex asked the refs to look for it:

From BSMW:

"Gresh and Zo this morning talked extensively about this rule and play, and noted that the video that the NFL showed to the team in the preseason was the one that included the second-level wording. They also think that the Jets or the Saints reported to the league that the Patriots had done this before, and that perhaps Rex Ryan even tipped off the officials just prior to the kick, knowing he’d get the call, and get a free 15 yards. (Which would be why the officials didn’t call the push on the kick above noted by Reiss.)"

If that's the case hopefully Belichick will tell the refs to watch OTs mugging #95 on a consistent basis :mad:

Bill Belichick of New England Patriots admits he was wrong that play wasn't penalty - ESPN Boston

The Patriots had used the same play -- with the same two players (Jones looping behind Will Svitek) -- on the New Orleans Saints' 39-yard field goal on Oct. 13 with 2:24 remaining in the game. No penalty was called then.

The Saints made their attempt to make the score 27-23. But if the officials had called a penalty, the Saints could have extended the drive and possibly run out the clock so the Patriots wouldn't have had a chance to win the game late, which they did when Tom Brady connected with Kenbrell Thompkins on a 17-yard touchdown strike, giving New England a 30-27 victory.

When it comes to FG blocks - especially important ones are the likes of Chandler Jones & Jamie Collins on the field?

Any kind of push up the middle combined with Jones coming off the edge and Collins vertical leap in the middle could result in more missed/blocked FGs.

Like the Seahawks using Red Bryant on FG blocks and the Giants using some starters too.

Well now, according to some talking heads, the reason it was called was because Rex asked the refs to look for it:

From BSMW:

"Gresh and Zo this morning talked extensively about this rule and play, and noted that the video that the NFL showed to the team in the preseason was the one that included the second-level wording. They also think that the Jets or the Saints reported to the league that the Patriots had done this before, and that perhaps Rex Ryan even tipped off the officials just prior to the kick, knowing he’d get the call, and get a free 15 yards. (Which would be why the officials didn’t call the push on the kick above noted by Reiss.)"

That's a lot of speculation there which in the end clouds what is most applicable now that BB had his Monday conference:
The Patriots didn't know the rule and thought the 2nd level player applied. Its hard to believe that BB would see the wording of the rule change (second level is not in it now) and not make sure of its interpretation and how it would be called.
The rule was changed in the offseason, before training camp. IF they showed a video (assuming this is true) of a second level player pushing and you knew the rule had been re-written to exclude this caveat, wouldn't you ask for clarification upon seeing this?

When it comes to FG blocks - especially important ones are the likes of Chandler Jones & Jamie Collins on the field?

Any kind of push up the middle combined with Jones coming off the edge and Collins vertical leap in the middle could result in more missed/blocked FGs.

Like the Seahawks using Red Bryant on FG blocks and the Giants using some starters too.

I think the problem is that you can't really bringing in your big guns selectively. You have your FG block unit, so you're either putting Jones out there on every field goal attempt or not at all. The benefit that you get from bringing in a guy only in key situations is that he's more athletic, but that's outweighed by the drawback that you'll get from the lack of cohesion on the unit and the practice time that you'd have to spend coaching up multiple different units.

It's the same reason why Gronk was out there on special teams last year, breaking his forearm in the closing portion of a blowout.

Obviously I liked the call more than anyone here and while its a weird rule it was apparently textbook.

The real problem with the rule is that its 15 yards? 5 yards Id get even 10 I would think is excessive but I'd understand it somewhat. 15 yards for that is ridiculous.

Extremely lame rule, and now no team will be doing it, it just sucks that we were the designated posterchild for the rule's enforcement.

Obviously I liked the call more than anyone here and while its a weird rule it was apparently textbook.

The real problem with the rule is that its 15 yards? 5 yards Id get even 10 I would think is excessive but I'd understand it somewhat. 15 yards for that is ridiculous.

You beat me to it, I was just going to say the same thing.

Whether one likes the rule or not, it's in the rule book; all coaches and players need to realize it and deal with it, just like other rules they may not care for (e.g., celebration penalties).

To me though, the penalty is rather draconian and disproportional to the penalty. Is this just as bad as a late hit out of bounds, twisting a player's face mask, launching yourself with the crown of your helmet at a defenseless player, etc?

Obviously not; a 5-yard penalty would be more appropriate.

It's a bad rule as applied, this was the first time it's been called, and the call cost the Patriots the game. Those aren't excuses. Those are 1 opinion and 2 observations.

Maybe. Or our offense would have choked again and given the ball back to the Jets. I give it 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST