PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW RULE is lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously I liked the call more than anyone here and while its a weird rule it was apparently textbook.

The real problem with the rule is that its 15 yards? 5 yards Id get even 10 I would think is excessive but I'd understand it somewhat. 15 yards for that is ridiculous.

I initially had the same reaction to the terms of penalty. Based on what Jones did on that play, it really didn't seem like it warranted 15 yards and a first down.

After thinking on it, the penalty does make sense from a player safety standpoint. If you're the long snapper, it's tough enough to deal with a 270-300 lb player crashing into you. Factor in another player of a similar size pushing his teammate forward and that amount of mass and force could be dangerous.

Extremely lame rule, and now no team will be doing it, it just sucks that we were the designated posterchild for the rule's enforcement.

Not for the first time.

Don't let a freaking penalty like this decide the game. They usually let them play a little more in OT and such. Surprised they called it, the way they let PI and holding go as games near the end (e.g., the SB last year).

Plus, WTF why is this a 15 yard penalty?

Thats the bigger problem here. They moved it from a 54 yard FG to a very makable 39 yard one. If this is ever called again it will allow a team to move from a long field goal to one that is much more manageable. I don't think that is the intent of the infraction. Should be penalized on the kickoff or the following play. Giving someone 15 yards and an automatic 1st down completely changes the game due to where this will always occur on the field of play (field goal range). In most cases this will give a team that was taking a FG the ball in the red zone with 4 more downs to work with. Horrible penalty for a minor infraction.

You beat me to it, I was just going to say the same thing.

Whether one likes the rule or not, it's in the rule book; all coaches and players need to realize it and deal with it, just like other rules they may not care for (e.g., celebration penalties).

To me though, the penalty is rather draconian and disproportional to the penalty. Is this just as bad as a late hit out of bounds, twisting a player's face mask, launching yourself with the crown of your helmet at a defenseless player, etc?

Obviously not; a 5-yard penalty would be more appropriate.

Then they should have called it on Coples' more clear cut one from Ghost's 44 yarder earlier in the game.

You must be consistent with a rule and not just call it because a HC wants you to watch one team for it.

I initially had the same reaction to the terms of penalty. Based on what Jones did on that play, it really didn't seem like it warranted 15 yards and a first down.

After thinking on it, the penalty does make sense from a player safety standpoint. If you're the long snapper, it's tough enough to deal with a 270-300 lb player crashing into you. Factor in another player of a similar size pushing his teammate forward and that amount of mass and force could be dangerous.

Bruschi agrees with the idea that pushing teammates can be physically punishing

Tedy Bruschi on why pushing rule was needed - ESPN Boston

Then they should have called it on Coples' more clear cut one from Ghost's 44 yarder earlier in the game.

You must be consistent with a rule and not just call it because a HC wants you to watch one team for it.

Which is my point from earlier. If they had made the same call on the Jets it would have put the ball on the 11 yard line with 4 new downs for Brady and team to play with. Making this an unsportsmanlike foul is overkill of a punishment for a minor infraction and gives the kicking team a huge advantage.

Absolutely correct!!!. When you don't call the game the same for both teams, You are either incompetent or biased. Neither one is acceptable in an honest game. Funny how these odd calls like the phantom personal foul in Jets/Bucs game seem to favor the Jets.

Brady threw the INT to start the 3rd quarter when we were up 21-10.

I agree with you that we "lost" the game (or put ourselves in a situation where anything could happen, such as a weird call) throughout the second half though.

So did we. Yes Brady had a real high probability of being sacked before he got that ball off without the hold by Nate , and yes the call on Jones might have been confused in traffic and pushing, little crazy, but the end remains the same.

We never should have let you in that game. We have the offense and defnese to do that. And you never should have never let the Jets in that game, your a better team. lol, kismet.

So did we. Yes Brady had a real high probability of being sacked before he got that ball off without the hold by Nate , and yes the call on Jones might have been confused in traffic and pushing, little crazy, but the end remains the same.

We never should have let you in that game. We have the offense and defnese to do that. And you never should have never let the Jets in that game, your a better team. lol, kismet.

Pherein, we love you, but everything is not about the Saints. ;)

Bruschi agrees with the idea that pushing teammates can be physically punishing

Tedy Bruschi on why pushing rule was needed - ESPN Boston

Yeah, I would defer to Bruschi on this one too. Apparently, he and Seymour would destroy people using that tactic, but they're toeing a slippery slope here. Some things should be classified as what happens when you play football. Head shots should be punished, but what's the difference between this ordeal with Chris Jones and Vellano and a lead blocker and a running back destroying some poor CB on the goal line?

Also, I don't know if anyone else touched on this in the 27 pages, but the second level verbiage is not in the rule; it was proposed and written out.

Pherein, we love you, but everything is not about the Saints. ;)

lol love you guys to, but yes it is :) ... err that and procreation.. err and computer games.. and hand sandwiches .. yum

Come on, there is a huge difference here. In this case, they called a penalty the 1 in 300+ times that it has been violated. With holding calls, it's hit or miss. You see several holding calls a game. I bet the ratio is more like 20% of them get called. Here we have a .3% call.

Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots