PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England at Denver AFCCG pre game thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scouting Report: What you need to know about Patriots-Broncos

considering how the chiefs ran on us..this is a big issue we need to solve.

I think they will defend the run well tomorrow. Remember, they were playing against a nimble quarterback who was a threat to run himself. They got burned on a few of those read option type plays.

Manning, on the other hand, does not present this issue. Therefore, the front seven will be able to key on the running back and not have to worry about any contain assignments with the quarterback.

Nerves are kicking in :(. Mainly because its denver and its manning. I dont knwo if I will be able to watch the game...take a 3 hr break doing something and come back check if this forum is up or I get 522.

LETS ******* GO

(If Pats somehow lose i will be taking a break from social media for a while)

If they lose the media coverage will be insufferable regarding Manning he can go 5-30 with 4 picks and somehow win and be praised because he handed the ball off.

For those who went to games this year, was there any song that caught on like Josie? Last year, Your Love was very nice. It was just out thing, I remember the Super bowl send off, the end of the Ravens game.

I'll probably see you there. I'll be the handsome fellow wearing clothes.
I was blown away how many folks there were at Katies and even downtown in general that were pats fans, crazy. It was almost like Pats fans took over the 16th street mall tonight.

Oh and my kid said when Zolak was done with his bit he headed straight to the bar...anyone surprised...Zo is awesome.

I didnt see any handsome fellas but I heard a lot of folks that dont use their "r"'s, LOL

Last edited:
Manning had 400+ yards in last year's game, most of them going to DT and Sanders. We won 43-21. I don't think you can necessarily say that allowing 100+ yards to Sanders won't cut it. It would be nice to shut everyone down, but I won't be concerned if Sanders gets another 100+, so long as we shut down their run game and contain DT.

Yes, certainly 2/3 will likely need to be contained, but you make a fine point that we don't necessarily need to contain them ALL, of course.

Logan Ryan on anyone is a 8 for 120 just waiting to creep out...my God did he suck vs KC

I was never a big Ryan supporter, but I do give him credit for playing well this year. As you mention though, his past month his been ridiculous, which is obviously partially due to McCourty being injured (on some level).

That said, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to expect another game where Ryan is able to limit Thomas like he did last time. It's just asking for too much in my opinion. As others have pointed out, we may not need to, depending on the flow of the game and how we're able to limit other parts of their offense.

I have always believed you have to win the fistfight to win the game and need to run the ball to win the fistfight, this version of the Patriots has disabused me of that notion. Actually it goes back to the second half of last year but they have shown they can manipulate defenses and gas them instead of pummeling them. They go up against great front 7s and make them cover the whole field without relief and they have the talent to make big plays and put up points. They haven't had to win a game running the ball and they haven't been beaten by a run game all season, this will be about Brady vs Denver's defense, if Brady has a good game the Patriots win, if he is off Denver has a chance, I just don't see him playing poorly in this game. They still have to play well in the trenches but if Brady plays well their run game won't matter, nor will Denver's.

I certainly think you make some good points about our ability to pass the ball without worrying about the run game, but I have some reservations as to whether they can do that for 2 more games against top notch competition, that's all.

As far as not being beaten by the run game this season, I definitely think that happened @Denver, although we know that was also due to Hightower getting hurt and some other factors as well. This team will need to limit the running game tomorrow, particularly since Manning has gone down to a 50/50 pass/run ratio (50.5 vs. 49.5) which is more indicative of a Kubiak offense.

Am out in Vancouver, Canada visiting my sister....super amped for tmr..!!!!!

He hurt it again on that out of bounds tackle he got caught up in. So yes it actually has been a week. As far as the signs that he's ok, well that's BS. As much BS as Maclins info was.

I dunno, man. I guess we'll find out tomorrow, but he claims to be "in much better shape than last week." These comments were echoed by Kubiak, as well.

I certainly think you make some good points about our ability to pass the ball without worrying about the run game, but I have some reservations as to whether they can do that for 2 more games against top notch competition, that's all.

As far as not being beaten by the run game this season, I definitely think that happened @Denver, although we know that was also due to Hightower getting hurt and some other factors as well. This team will need to limit the running game tomorrow, particularly since Manning has gone down to a 50/50 pass/run ratio (50.5 vs. 49.5) which is more indicative of a Kubiak offense.

Winning by the run isn't an option this season, they will live and die with their passing game. Trying to win the two biggest games of the season by their biggest weakness makes no sense when your strength is the GOAT. Imo just comes down to their primary weapons staying healthy for two games, if they do and Brady is Brady they have a great shot at another Lombardi.

If they lose the media coverage will be insufferable regarding Manning he can go 5-30 with 4 picks and somehow win and be praised because he handed the ball off.

Why would you watch it?

Winning by the run isn't an option this season, they will live and die with their passing game. Trying to win the two biggest games of the season by their biggest weakness makes no sense when your strength is the GOAT. Imo just comes down to their primary weapons staying healthy for two games, if they do and Brady is Brady they have a great shot at another Lombardi.

I definitely agree with you that our bread and butter will always lie on the shoulders of #12, but there are arguments that can be made for an attempt at some better balance in the running game.

Ultimately, it would be great to at least be able to gain about 85-100 on the ground. I think that's going to be our limit in terms of the ceiling this year, and as you mention, that would likely be just fine. Whether or not we can get that may go a long way towards determining how close we actually come to that Lombardi this season--although I certainly hope it doesn't. As you've said, it's going to be a challenge to commit to it this late in the season, which is one of the main reasons why I've been banging the drum so hard since the beginning of November.

We beat Seattle last year without even trying to run the ball at all.

Why would you watch it?

In today's age of constant media attention through social media, smart phones, smart TVs, etc it's much harder to try and ignore that stuff than it was in the past. I obviously can't speak for Viper, but I'm assuming that's what he's getting at. One way or another, we'll have to deal with negative stuff jammed down our throats unless we win 2 more games. It's an American tradition to hate the NEP and the media will do everything they can to take advantage. It's a bit of a shame in my opinion, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
We beat Seattle last year without even trying to run the ball at all.

We all obviously know this, but is that a realistic possibility to do TWO more times against top defenses this year, for the second year in a row? I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but the concerns are that we're trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

If it's going to equate to a 38-22 minute TOP differential like last week, that drops our odds of winning down to what? About 10-15 percent? Maybe 15-20 percent? Obviously, this is a different type of team that tends to defy past logic, but there are plenty of reasons to think that we'll need to commit to the run a bit more.

It should also be pointed out that coming back from double digit deficits THREE times in the postseason is unheard of, so it really weakens the "we don't need to run the ball" argument. The one game we did run the ball successfully last postseason was the one where we blew the opponent out and didn't have to resort to last minute magic and heroics.

Do I think that it can be done? Absolutely, but it makes it much more difficult.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick