PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Position Analysis: Wide Receivers

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Position Analysis: Wide Receivers
Mark Morse
In this installment, I will review the New England Patriots Wide Receivers. I start with the wideouts that are Free Agents.

The post Patriots Position Analysis: Wide Receivers appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I’m thinking WR should be a bigger priority.
Meyers: FA
Parker: possible Cut
Bourne: Must have kicked BBS dog or called BBs son a name or something
Thornton: Who knows
The rest: Woof

Why does this article talk about Slater?

Aside from that, I like the Patriots WRs, if they resign Meyers and replace Agholor with a WR1-ish player (through FA or trade).

I'd like to see them flipped Jonnu for a better TE. The player and his contract have been a disaster. Jonnu has the largest cap hit of their offense for next season. Ouch.

I’m thinking WR should be a bigger priority.
Meyers: FA
Parker: possible Cut
Bourne: Must have kicked BBS dog or called BBs son a name or something
Thornton: Who knows
The rest: Woof
I have them re-signing Meyers. I don't know if they gain much in the salary cap by cutting Parker, but I am all for them getting rid of Parker.

I don't think Meyers will have a big market and he comes back on a pretty cheap 2 year deal.

Restructure Parker as he is extremely unreliable, but it's nice to have a 50/50 guy.

Unless traded, Bourne plays more next year.

Need to see a 2nd year jump with Thornton.

Need another draft pick no later than the 3rd round.

I'm holding out hope that the Pats take a shot at Michael Thomas. The Saints have reworked his contract with the intent on releasing/trading him before the money is due. I know he has a history of injuries, but the one that kept him out last year was a dislocated toe from week 3. Before that, he was looking like the old Michael Thomas.

The reason I think he's a good fit is that Thomas is an incredible route runner, with a knack for separation within 20 yards. Its been said down here in the bayou that the reason he was Brees' "go-to" guy was so Brees could save his arm on deep balls. I'm not an expert on breaking down the game as many of the posters here, but I can say, there was a big difference between Brandon Cooks' game and MT's game. I would take Thomas every time over Cooks.

If Mac's physical abilities allow him to hit slants, hitches and crossing patterns within 20 yards, Thomas could be our #1 for a few years (he's 29 with only 5 "full" seasons).

I have them re-signing Meyers. I don't know if they gain much in the salary cap by cutting Parker, but I am all for them getting rid of Parker.

If I'm reading this correctly, then we save $6.2M by cutting him:

...And if that money is used instead to help re-sign Meyers, then I wouldn't hate it... Parker's just too unreliable.

Here's a list of other free agent WRs in case Meyers signs elsewhere (more likely than not I'm afraid):

My top 10 Players of various Interest:

Darius Slayton - My #1 target if we lose Meyers... Since they had already drafted Stiddy, Pats should've also taken the dude who actually made him look like an NFL prospect... Sure as **** would've been > Lord Byron the Coward;
Allen Lazard
JuJu SS
Marvin Jones - Oldest of the bunch, but he's been so damn reliable and was a day-3 favorite of ours inside the Draft Forum in the spring of 2012;
Noah Brown
DJ Chark - Only on a games-available deal, he's like Parker that way;
Trent Sherfield - Takes him away from Miami too;
Ola Zaccheaus
Justin Watson - Any untapped potential still there?
Ashton Dulin

Last edited:
Never been impressed with Morse's analysis. That said, resign Meyers, dump Agholor and go from there.

If I'm reading this correctly, then we save $6.2M by cutting him:

...And if that money is used instead to help re-sign Meyers, then I wouldn't hate it... Parker's just too unreliable.

Here's a list of other free agent WRs in case Meyers signs elsewhere (more likely than not I'm afraid):

My top 10 Players of various Interest:
Darius Slayton - My #1 target if we lose Meyers
Allen Lazard
JuJu SS
Marvin Jones - Oldest of the bunch, but he's been so damn reliable and was a day-3 favorite of ours inside the Draft Forum in the spring of 2012
DJ Chark - only on a games-available deal; he's like Parker that way
Noah Brown
Trent Sherfield
Ola Zaccheaus
Justin Watson - Any untapped potential still there?
Ashton Dulin
I don't see the Pats resigning Meyers UNLESS it's a rather team friendly deal. If it is true that Meyers is viewed as the best or one of the best FA WR's out there it is likely that he is going to be OVERpaid. We have have some decent cap space, but it is limited. Paying Meyers on a $15-20MM deal would be a big overpay and limit us from adding other FA position needs like OT and DB. For example if you could only resign one of Meyers or JJones, I'd pick JJones every time.

If I had to sign one FA WR in this class it would be probably Slayton not that I know much about any of them. His production seems to be consistent with 3 of his 4 season being close to 50 receptions and over 700yd. Lazard has that 6'5 thing going for him, but he's had only one year (last) over 700. I think the best choice on that list is JJ SS. He's only going to be 27 and has the most production of any FA WR. But I doubt he's going to get out of KC. They actually have a bigger need to sign him than we do.

BTW- I have to admit that I haven't even HEARD of the last 5 names on your list much less know who they play for and what they have done. BUT if you had to pick one of them as a cheaper upside signing who would it be and why?

I don't see the Pats resigning Meyers UNLESS it's a rather team friendly deal. If it is true that Meyers is viewed as the best or one of the best FA WR's out there it is likely that he is going to be OVERpaid. We have have some decent cap space, but it is limited. Paying Meyers on a $15-20MM deal would be a big overpay and limit us from adding other FA position needs like OT and DB. For example if you could only resign one of Meyers or JJones, I'd pick JJones every time.

If I had to sign one FA WR in this class it would be probably Slayton not that I know much about any of them. His production seems to be consistent with 3 of his 4 season being close to 50 receptions and over 700yd. Lazard has that 6'5 thing going for him, but he's had only one year (last) over 700. I think the best choice on that list is JJ SS. He's only going to be 27 and has the most production of any FA WR. But I doubt he's going to get out of KC. They actually have a bigger need to sign him than we do.

BTW- I have to admit that I haven't even HEARD of the last 5 names on your list much less know who they play for and what they have done. BUT if you had to pick one of them as a cheaper upside signing who would it be and why?
I highly doubt anyone is going to pay him $20M or even $15. He may be the best of the FA WRs, but other teams can see and evaluate him. He's good but he isn't what teams that are looking to spend on a big FA WR would be looking for. In my opinion anyway.

I highly doubt anyone is going to pay him $20M or even $15. He may be the best of the FA WRs, but other teams can see and evaluate him. He's good but he isn't what teams that are looking to spend on a big FA WR would be looking for. In my opinion anyway.
your lips to god's ear. Would you pay $10MM/yr?

your lips to god's ear. Would you pay $10MM/yr?
I'd pay more than that. He's gotten better every year he's been here, no reason to think he won't continue to improve. Plus, he's the one guy Mac has some proven chemistry with.

I don't think Meyers will have a big market and he comes back on a pretty cheap 2 year deal.

Restructure Parker as he is extremely unreliable, but it's nice to have a 50/50 guy.

Unless traded, Bourne plays more next year.

Need to see a 2nd year jump with Thornton.

Need another draft pick no later than the 3rd round.
Please do me a favor.

When you propose to cut a plaer's salary, don't use the word "restructure". That is a very different tool. That is a method where a player's compensation is spread over a different period, while leaving the compensation the same.

If you mean for Parker to get the same money faster, I apoligize.

Well, just maybe a new OC might do fine with Bourne, Parker and Thornton. [with Wilkerson and Montgomery as possible 5th WR)
==========================================
Yes, we need another. After all, Meyers and Agholor aren't under contract.

I would re-sign Myers, even at $12M. The key is to compare the cost with the cost of trading for someone (picks and money)

I'd pay more than that. He's gotten better every year he's been here, no reason to think he won't continue to improve. Plus, he's the one guy Mac has some proven chemistry with.
Don't disagree in that he HAS improved every year, but he is still limited by his body. He is STILL not going to create much separation and will STILL require a very accurate QB to succeed. $10MM would be my max, though I'd LOVE to have him on the team. The problem is if you resign HIM it will be harder to sign JJones. I'd also like to see Peppers Wilson and McMillan back as well.

You know the old adage (which I haven't seen used much lately): For every dollar you give one player, there is one less dollar for everyone else.

I have always taken that to heart. Signing "stars" is always good for media purposes, but I would think the lessons of the late 90's teams should be mindful. Those teams were very talented one layer deep. When injuries started to befall them they couldn't survive the losses. Over the years we've built (for the most part) teams with very good starters, but also with a strong, well paid (relatively) middle class who helped survive injuries to your "stars"

I Don't want to see us fall victim to that kind of errant strategy again. Spend to 95% of the max every year, but DON'T mortgage the future so that every 3 or 4 years you have to go into another rebuilding process. Bill was always able to rebuild on the fly until they decided to go all into what they thought was Brady's last roundup, which they THOUGHT would end in 2018 or 2019.

I'm thrilled that Jacoby is going to be "paid". He deserves it. He's a self made player, who went from being an UDFA, to one of the best WR's in the FA market. Kudo's to him and more. ....BUT with limited resources, I'd rather spend that $33MM on OT's DT's and signing some of our own FA's

Don't disagree in that he HAS improved every year, but he is still limited by his body. He is STILL not going to create much separation and will STILL require a very accurate QB to succeed. $10MM would be my max, though I'd LOVE to have him on the team. The problem is if you resign HIM it will be harder to sign JJones. I'd also like to see Peppers Wilson and McMillan back as well.

You know the old adage (which I haven't seen used much lately): For every dollar you give one player, there is one less dollar for everyone else.

I have always taken that to heart. Signing "stars" is always good for media purposes, but I would think the lessons of the late 90's teams should be mindful. Those teams were very talented one layer deep. When injuries started to befall them they couldn't survive the losses. Over the years we've built (for the most part) teams with very good starters, but also with a strong, well paid (relatively) middle class who helped survive injuries to your "stars"

I Don't want to see us fall victim to that kind of errant strategy again. Spend to 95% of the max every year, but DON'T mortgage the future so that every 3 or 4 years you have to go into another rebuilding process. Bill was always able to rebuild on the fly until they decided to go all into what they thought was Brady's last roundup, which they THOUGHT would end in 2018 or 2019.

I'm thrilled that Jacoby is going to be "paid". He deserves it. He's a self made player, who went from being an UDFA, to one of the best WR's in the FA market. Kudo's to him and more. ....BUT with limited resources, I'd rather spend that $33MM on OT's DT's and signing some of our own FA's
My only caveat would be that they seem pretty well able to plug in DBs and go. What happens more often than not when they plug in a rookie WR? They generally don't get 60-80 catches from him. Add to that Mac hasn't shown any particular chemistry with ANY of the other WRs.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back