PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NESN: Pats Secondary (and a tidbit about the final 2 minutes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so impressed with this young secondary flying around. You catch the ball, you don't get hit by one, you get two. Shades of "flying ninja turtles" come to mind-----

Last edited:
I typed as confusing a sentence as the original and then stuck a fish in my ear to make it Chinese. As they say in the province-that-would-be-a-country, "il est ce qui est il." :D

They say that in Texas? I didn't know they spoke English there, much less French. :D

I was so impressed with this young secondary flying around. You catch the ball, you don't get hit by one, you get two. Shades of "flying ninja turtles" come to mind-----

Good comparison. I think "Flying Mutant Ninja Turtles" is a great nickname for this defense. :)

Looking at our secondary, what I see right now is this:

Safeties

Meriweather and Sanders were essentially the starters most of last year, but Rodney Harrison was still the leader of the secondary. This year, Meriweather has clearly taken over and stepped out of Rodney's shadow, and is playing at an all pro level, and should still get better. With the emergence of McGowan and the drafting of Chung I think there is a good chance that by next year Sanders is the #4 safety on the depth chart. To have a starting-caliber guy (not a stud, but a decent starter) as #4 is tremendous positional depth. And the combination of skills those 4 guys bring allows us to run a lot of different packages. McGowan is signed through 2010, and I hope he will get an extension this offseason. All 4 are currently under 26, so this unit could be set for a very long time, and should only get better.

Cornerback

Doesn't it seem like ages ago that we all suffered through Deltha O'Neal at CB? What a difference a year makes. Bodden is a really fine CB, and Butler looks like he could be a young Darrelle Revis in the making. Wilhite and Wheatley are really not bad at all, and are great as the nickel and dime - Wheatley really compares favorably to Ellis Hobbs, who was our #1 CB last year. And all 4 are currently under 28 (3/4 under 25). Add in senior veteran Shawn Springs, still springy at 33 and able to play both CB and safety and to cover the big physical receivers, and we have tremendous depth and talent at the CB position, the best we've had since 2003 - not yet as good at the top, but deeper.

The Bottom Line

If we lock up Bodden and McGowan long term, this unit could be the best and deepest secondary in the NFL in a year or so. What an amazing turnaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes