PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder sucks this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vollmer hasn't set the woods on fire either.

That's generally considered a...good thing...right??
huh.gif

Did you even watch the videos in the OP?

Solder is getting DESTROYED one-on-one. It looks like he isn't even trying. That has nothing to do with the rest of the line. You can't make excuses for that and blame it on the rest of the OLine.
Nathan, it couldn't be more obvious how pissed off you are. You've started 3 threads recently about 1) how Solder sucks, 2) how expensive it is to go to Gillette and 3) how Jones and Ninko are being overused. You're just posting out of anger and frustration, in my opinion. I get it. You're pissed. This isn't what you signed up for or expected. You want others to vilify this team, coaching staff and ownership because you're ******** and want everyone to be ********. All of the offeason and preseason we were all told how great this team would be by the media,local and national and, to this point, they've been disappointing and like all of us you're afraid they're going to suck all season and, in particular, suck in front of the world on national TV the next 2 weeks. I feel your pain and you could be right. But, for now, let's wait and see.

One of the tackles I in Round 2 would look really good right now. Arizona could trade Cooper but wouldn't take Less than a Round2. Who knows he could be outplaying Larsen by now as he was just getting up to speed after his injury and that's if they would trade him at all because he is an immense talent. If we do pull a trade it would be ideal for him to be able to play guard at a high level and tackle if necessary. However its likely going to take at least a round2 pick for a good guard or somebody who can anchor the OLine. No team is trading a very good quality starting OLineman for a Round pick unless they are a losing team trying to dump salary or if he is about to become a free agent in which case they may take a round3. Look what the bucs got for a round4, a declining high salary guard. If Bill really wants a good OLineman he has to be ready to part with a significant draft pick. There isn't always going to be a buddy handing you a pro bowler for a Round4 pick. The OLine has no anchor so if he trades for one he should do it right and trade good lineman who could be an anchor. It could even take a round 2 and 4. Teams aren't just going to give away a talented starting OLineman. Bill will have to part with a round2 pick which isn't that much. At least he knows he getting a good proven starter.

Here is something to think about. Would you be willing to deal Garappollo for a young pro bowl caliber OLineman under rookie contract several more years. Then trade for a veteran backup qb. Like say a Corey Glenn who can play tackle very well and probably all pro at guard. It would be a dilemma.

Here is something to think about. Would you be willing to deal Garappollo for a young pro bowl caliber OLineman under rookie contract several more years. Then trade for a veteran backup qb. Like say a Corey Glenn who can play tackle very well and probably all pro at guard. It would be a dilemma.
No. Just my take.

Nathan, it couldn't be more obvious how pissed off you are. You've started 3 threads recently about 1) how Solder sucks, 2) how expensive it is to go to Gillette and 3) how Jones and Ninko are being overused. You're just posting out of anger and frustration, in my opinion. I get it. You're pissed. This isn't what you signed up for or expected. You want others to vilify this team, coaching staff and ownership because you're ******** and want everyone to be ********. All of the offeason and preseason we were all told how great this team would be by the media,local and national and, to this point, they've been disappointing and like all of us you're afraid they're going to suck all season and, in particular, suck in front of the world on national TV the next 2 weeks. I feel your pain and you could be right. But, for now, let's wait and see.
The thread about being expensive isn't negative. Just informative. I actually said in that thread that Gilette is a good deal considering they're only 3rd most expensive despite being 1st most successful.

Hell no.

Garoppolo is the future. He wasn't drafted to be traded. If anything, trade Brady while he's still worth something and let Gropp take over

(1) "Sucks this year" is mostly true......within the context of "this year" being 19% of a "year", and within the context of this year is played under a new OL coach with a starting/rotation OL that hasn't been playing together as a unit for a significant length of time.

(2) Solder has been in the NFL for 3 years. Within that time, when his number has been called, he has played well much more often than not.

Given the dynamics of this "year" listed in (1) and Solder's history listed in (2), maybe it's fair to see what he will do to correct his subpar 2014 and even logical to assume he is likely to correct it??

That's generally considered a...good thing...right??
huh.gif

Not necessarily. I have a dense forest just 15 feet from pool/back side of my house. So I went and got a quote to remove 15 feet of this forest. Total cost = Ouch! But, total cost of doing it myself the quick/easy way = a buck fifty for a lighter and letting the laws of combustion take its course. :)

Someone mentioned that they trust Bedard's breakdown of Solder over anyone on this board. I don't. Bedard has gone the way of Tom Curran.

I trust guys like Sciz and Patsfanken.

Sciz was actually right upon further review. I gave him props for that in another thread. I only saw the Oakland game in real time so that was my error. I did know Solder had protection slid to his side a couple of times, and a couple of those 2 on 1 battles were lost (which I'm not the only one to note), but it didn't happen with the frequency that I had originally thought it did. So props to Sciz.

A mod at another forum posted this:
"....I just see no reason why Solder should've fallen here. He wasn't off-balance, he didn't hit knee's with Mack, and Mack barely landed his hand on him (not to take anything away from Mack)...like…how?"
https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/2BA1...p4?versionId=KyTxXahugrA_8oMJjSu9NKURhVLh3gAm
Stop it at a little over 3/4 in the video. Mack goes completely outside causing solder to almost have to tackle him, then reverses direction completely. Solder has to stop and reverse directions and his feet are almost on top of each other. Nevertheless, he still gets in the way of Mack, who is damned athletic. Solder stops him from getting inside after the outside move, but his feet aren't under him, so he stumbles and falls. Still, Mack didn't get a clean shot outside or inside, which he could have.

Pretty tough rusher.

Hell no.

Garoppolo is the future. He wasn't drafted to be traded. If anything, trade Brady while he's still worth something and let Gropp take over

Not wanting to be rude but it would be nuts to trade Brady. You know what you have in Brady. Grap is as big a gamble as any other round 2 qb. More often than not they crash and burn as do round one qbs . Grap wearing a home team uniform doesn't make him any more likely to succeed. As a matter of fact the round2 qbs I see succeeding are surrounded with talent. WRs including a true #1 and star studded oline like kaep and Dalton. My opinion, surround Brady with talent and whomever succeeds him has a better chance of succeeding.

If they do move on from Brady, he has given the patriots enough and has earned the right to become a free agent. Besides it wouldn't work trading him. He would just retire before being auctioned to the highest bidder.

This is too easy! Mack runs right around Solder like he's a practice squad player.
https://vine.co/u/960671502246817792

I don't know a lot about line play, but look at where solder is lined up in relation to Mack. It isn't between Mack and the quarterback. More important, look where the other inside rusher goes at the snap. There's a big problem with that play, because once the linemen are set, there is no way to defend that.

Two rushers got in and the only one Solder could have stopped is the inside one.

I would love unoriginal, or another line guru to tell me what the left tackle could have done on that play given where Mack was lined up and that there was a free rusher on the inside.

Solder seems sluggish, but i think defenses right now are more taking advantage of miscommunication and the learning curve of cannon and others. There are lots of problems, but that's what a cohesive unit line needs to overcome as a unit.

Stop it at a little over 3/4 in the video. Mack goes completely outside causing solder to almost have to tackle him, then reverses direction completely. Solder has to stop and reverse directions and his feet are almost on top of each other. Nevertheless, he still gets in the way of Mack, who is damned athletic. Solder stops him from getting inside after the outside move, but his feet aren't under him, so he stumbles and falls. Still, Mack didn't get a clean shot outside or inside, which he could have.

Pretty tough rusher.

Are you trying to say that's good OL play by Solder?

Solder must be the most passive LT in the league. He waits for Mack to engage him and get his hands on him before he even makes a move. Looks like he isn't even trying. His body language also reeks of "aw shucks, oh well" like he doesn't care or take pride in his job.
http://gfycat.com/NegligibleAromaticCommongonolek

That's a running play. Hard to tell, but it seems he was letting the rusher go full steam toward the passer, while the run went outside. Seems more sensible than pushing the defender back to where he could make a tackle. If anything, he should have allowed him in quicker, he seemed to be in the way a bit.

Are you trying to say that's good OL play by Solder?

Not really. I would say that Mack seems like an excellent pass rusher. There was a good possibility of the defender getting a clean shot and he didn't.

It's not like Matt Light didn't employ the flapping flounder defense against some good pass rushers.

Not having a tape of any LT playing one on one against a similar move, I'll defer judgment, especially since I'm not an expert on line play by any means.

Definitely not into trading a QB for a offensive lineman. This is just pure panic and frankly I'm not ready to see this team throw away the present or the future over just 3 games. They are going to improve. I don't know how much but I just think it would be dumb at this point to do. I'd rather see the team take its lumps and address it "again" through the draft and free agency with a possible coaching change if that's what it takes.

Not really. I would say that Mack seems like an excellent pass rusher. There was a good possibility of the defender getting a clean shot and he didn't.

It's not like Matt Light didn't employ the flapping flounder defense against some good pass rushers.

Not having a tape of any LT playing one on one against a similar move, I'll defer judgment, especially since I'm not an expert on line play by any means.

Solder's beaten how many times on that play?

Solder's beaten how many times on that play?

The quarterback got off a pass with nobody near him,

Is there a definition of "beaten" I don't know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back