PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(My Prediction) there will be a push for us to forfeit our OTHER 1st rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: (My Prediction)there will be a push for us to forfeit our OTHER 1st rd pick

There is more Spygate crap on this message board than all the net. Time to put all the Pod people on a single thread and leave the rest of the board for actual football. I mean really, how many ways can you say the same friggin thing?

As other posters have mentioned, the NFL cannot take away the 7th overall pick from NE.

However, if the league was to find NE guilty of further rule violations I could see them taking away NE's 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully that will not be the case.

As other posters have mentioned, the NFL cannot take away the 7th overall pick from NE.

This is meant as a serious question--why not? I've heard that it can't happen, and suggested a possible 'explanation', but I've not (recently) seen confirmation that it can't.

This is meant as a serious question--why not? I've heard that it can't happen, and suggested a possible 'explanation', but I've not (recently) seen confirmation that it can't.

I've never seen a credible source say that the NFL couldn't take the pick away (link, anyone?). lots of posters here have given reasons why it would be a very harsh punishment, but that doesn't mean the NFL can't take it away.

I've never seen a credible source say that the NFL couldn't take the pick away (link, anyone?). lots of posters here have given reasons why it would be a very harsh punishment, but that doesn't mean the NFL can't take it away.

You misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm fairly certain I've heard it said, before today, that the NFL could not take the pick away, even if they wanted to. I'm just trying to find the reason for that statement.

You misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm fairly certain I've heard it said, before today, that the NFL could not take the pick away, even if they wanted to. I'm just trying to find the reason for that statement.

During all the initial spygate BS Bob Costas asked Goodell if it would be the Patriots own first or the 49ers. Goodell said something like "Well, we know it wouldn't be the 49ers pick", and I believe he explained that pick wasn't up for removal. A few media outlets (Web/print/TV) have said that pick couldn't be taken away. I haven't read that actual rule, but a number of sports writers, talking heads, and analyst would have all presented us with false info.

they can't, its not ours. we traded for it. that would be like asking us to forfeit randy moss. you cant take away something we traded value to get in the past.

Your right. That's why they didn't take away the niners pick in September. That was involved in a transaction, it was not New England's to start out with. They can't take it away. If the NFL were to take that pick away from the Pats, the NFL would have to give it back to the Niners and give Joe Staley to the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents