PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mock draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

furley

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This is my mock draft based on information I've read from Rotoworld and WalterFootball. The trade scenarios I've included are either based on Rotoworld, or just a simple guess.

1. Carolina - Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver - Marcell Dareus
3. Buffalo - Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati - Julio Jones
5. Arizona - Robert Quinn
6. Atlanta (from Cleveland) - AJ Green
7. San Francisco - Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee - Nick Fairley
9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara
10. Washington - Da'Quan Bowers
11. Houston - Von Miller
12. Minnesota - Jake Locker
13. Detroit - Tyron Smith
14. St. Louis - Aldon Smith
15. San Diego (from Miami) - Ryan Kerrigan
16. Jacksonville - Cameron Jordan
17. New England - JJ Watt
18. Miami (from San Diego) - Anthony Castonzo
19. New York Giants - Mark Ingram
20. Tampa Bay - Akeem Ayers
21. Kansas City - Derek Sherrod
22. Indianapolis - Nate Solder
23. Philadelphia - Jimmy Smith
24. New Orleans - Muhammad Wilkerson
25. Seattle - Mike Pouncey
26. Baltimore - Torrey Smith
27. Cleveland (from Atlanta) - Cameron Heyward
28. Denver (New England) - Adrian Clayborn
29. Chicago - Corey Liuget
30. New York Jets - Justin Houston
31. Pittsburgh - Rahim Moore
32. Green Bay - Brooks Reed

Atlanta exchanges the #27, #59 and their 2012 first round pick for the #6 and #101 from Cleveland

San Diego exchanges the #18 and the #82 for the #15 from Miami

Denver exchanges the #36 and #46 for the #28 from New England

that NWE trade with denver would be robbery. they wouldnt do that

that NWE trade with denver would be robbery. they wouldnt do that

They gave up quite a bit for Tebow last year, selling to the desperate/stupid is always the way to go:D

They gave up quite a bit for Tebow last year, selling to the desperate/stupid is always the way to go:D

ok...that was for tebow. this trade was for adrian clayborn. small, short, weak player with a degenerative issue.

Edit: Denver's John Fox sees Elvis Dumervil and Robert Ayers as his defensive ends in their switch to a 4-3. So it looks unlikely that Denver would be a trade partner with New England for the twenty-eighth pick.

Still, New England could entice a team that's in need of a defensive end and either of Adrian Clayborn or Justin Houston are still available that late in the first round.

ok...that was for tebow. this trade was for adrian clayborn. small, short, weak player with a degenerative issue.

How often do teams wear glasses when picking players, seeing what they want to see and ignoring what they don't want to see, rather than just what's there?

Anyway, there might very well be a team that makes a stupid move, McDaniels excelled at that in Denver, and hopefully we'll be in position to collect if that happens.

Atlanta exchanges the #27, #59 and their 2012 first round pick for the #6 and #101 from Cleveland

San Diego exchanges the #18 and the #82 for the #15 from Miami

Denver exchanges the #36 and #46 for the #28 from New England

I absolutely love these trades. If I was a Denver fan, I might pass out when the trade is announced, but at #28, they get the best one armed DE in the draft.

I absolutely love these trades. If I was a Denver fan, I might pass out when the trade is announced, but at #28, they get the best one armed DE in the draft.

The trade makes a lot of sense for New England with Belichick's recent propensity to trade down out of the first round in favor of the second round.

Of the aforementioned trade scenarios, I like the swapping of first round picks between Miami and San Diego. I can see the Chargers trading up, and Miami preferring to trade out of that spot. The more I read the more I now believe that they will pass on Mark Ingram. Subsequently, Ingram could end up with either the Giants or St. Louis if they don't choose a defensive end. That is, Aldon Smith's stock could be on the decline if you read into recent reports.

Wow; this is a excellent mock. You took went against the grain with Julio Jones at 4 but I suspect that you are right. Quinn seems to go too high in this mock but who knows.

I am not so sure of Blaine Gabbert to Carolina at 1. That would be hard to swallow if you are Carolina fan. They already drafted a prima donna QB last year. It is an admission of failure to draft another QB. Seems shaky especially since they made a deal with the devil last year and peed away this year's second round pick for the unforgettable Armanti Edwards (actually I think Edwards should be re-tooled to his natural position at QB and forget Gabbert).

The smart thing for Carolina to do would be to nab Dareus or Bowers. But since when have they been smart...

Last edited:
Wow; this is a excellent mock. You took went against the grain with Julio Jones at 4 but I suspect that you are right. Quinn seems to go too high in this mock but who knows.

I am not so sure of Blaine Gabbert to Carolina at 1. That would be hard to swallow if you are Carolina fan. They already drafted a prima donna QB last year. It is an admission of failure to draft another QB. Seems shaky especially since they made a deal with the devil last year and peed away this year's second round pick for the unforgettable Armanti Edwards (actually I think Edwards should be re-tooled to his natural position at QB and forget Gabbert).

The smart thing for Carolina to do would be to nab Dareus or Bowers. But since when have they been smart...

Thanks.

If I were Carolina, I would trade down and pickup additional picks in later rounds. Whenever you see a franchise this much on the fence about which player deserves the top selection, you logically trade down. If Andrew Luck hadn't decided to remain in school, would we even be discussing Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton. On talent alone, Nick Fairley would've been the consensus top choice for Carolina if not for character concerns.

If Carolina wants to do something bold, why not offer your first and third round picks in 2011 to Philadelphia to acquire Kevin Kolb and their first round pick in 2011 (twenty-third) and 2012.

Thanks.

If I were Carolina, I would trade down and pickup additional picks in later rounds. Whenever you see a franchise this much on the fence about which player deserves the top selection, you logically trade down. If Andrew Luck hadn't decided to remain in school, would we even be discussing Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton. On talent alone, Nick Fairley would've been the consensus top choice for Carolina if not for character concerns.

If Carolina wants to do something bold, why not offer your first and third round picks in 2011 to Philadelphia to acquire Kevin Kolb and their first round pick in 2011 (twenty-third) and 2012.

Yea trading down seems to be he way to go if you can find a partner. Finding such a partner might work this year if there is a rookie wage scale. I always figured that trading down works best if you pretend to be super interested in a guy someone else wants...so if the Broncs are courting Dareus or the Bills are hot for Patrick Peterson then start doing public things with those players. Then trade with the Bills of Denver and get a third or whatever and then keep moving down until you can replace the second you foolishly lost to New England.

As far as QBs for Carolina ... there always seems to be a ton of older free-agent QBs available. The may not be starter quality but they can tutor Clausen and Armanti. Of course you may not be able to sign one until September.

See, a trade between Carolina and Buffalo makes a lot of sense to me. That is to say, let Buffalo take Newton first overall while you [Carolina] have your choice of Patrick Peterson or whoever. Because I don't think Marcell Dareus will get pass Denver.

Nonetheless, the objective for Carolina is still to select the best player available. And that may prove to be Peterson, Nick Fairley, Von Miller or AJ Green.

This somewhat reminds me of the 2001 draft in which San Diego owned the first pick but elected to trade down for the fifth pick with Atlanta. The Chargers still got LaDainian Tomlinson in the first round, and Drew Brees in the second round. Carolina can't stay undecided... They've to be savvy, they've to call around to other teams.

Last edited:
I don't agree with your analysis. Carolina needs to come out of the first round with a quarterback ready to start SOON. I am fine with them trading down, but if they don't want gabbert or Newton, then they should trade down two or three times, picking up picks along the way, until they can't stand it any more and draft Mallet or Ponder. After all they don't have a 2nd to work with for a trade up :).

See, a trade between Carolina and Buffalo makes a lot of sense to me. That is to say, let Buffalo take Newton first overall while you [Carolina] have your choice of Patrick Peterson or whoever. Because I don't think Marcell Dareus will get pass Denver.

Nonetheless, the objective for Carolina is still to select the best player available. And that may prove to be Peterson, Nick Fairley, Von Miller or AJ Green.

This somewhat reminds me of the 2001 draft in which San Diego owned the first pick but elected to trade down for the fifth pick with Atlanta. The Chargers still got LaDainian Tomlinson in the first round, and Drew Brees in the second round. Carolina can't stay undecided... They've to be savvy, they've to call around to other teams.

I think that if Jimmy Clausen were in this draft, he'd be hands down the #1 QB prospect. Although Carolina may opt for a QB (and it will be the owner's decision), it's definitely not the way I think they should go. Farley, Dareus, Miller, or Peterson would make more sense, if they were to actually make the pick. Which they shouldn't.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm a fan of Julio Jones getting picked ahead of A.J. Green.

Not sure if I'm a fan of Julio Jones getting picked ahead of A.J. Green.

Don't you get that faint whiff of bust-a-rama with Green? Besides the milquetoast did not run at the Combine while Jones lit it up on an injured foot. If the Patriots had their choice (which they don't) I would be much happier with Jones.

I hate taking WRs in the first round but I would be delighted with Jones.

Last edited:
Here's my redraft without trades and with a few surprises. And I'll just go with the idea of New England keeping both first round picks.

1. Carolina - Cam Newton
2. Denver - Marcell Dareus
3. Buffalo - Von Miller
4. Cincinnati - Blaine Gabbert
5. Arizona - Patrick Peterson
6. Cleveland - Julio Jones
7. San Francisco - Nick Fairley
8. Tennessee - JJ Watt
9. Dallas - Robert Quinn
10. Washington - AJ Green
11. Houston - Prince Amukamara
12. Minnesota - Christian Ponder
13. Detroit - Anthony Castonzo
14. St. Louis - Gabe Carimi
15. Miami - Mike Pouncey
16. Jacksonville - Da'Quan Bowers
17. New England - Nate Solder
18. San Diego - Ryan Kerrigan
19. New York Giants - Tyron Smith
20. Tampa Bay - Cameron Jordan
21. Kansas City - Phil Taylor
22. Indianapolis - Derek Sherrod
23. Philadelphia - Justin Houston
24. New Orleans - Muhammad Wilkerson
25. Seattle - Jimmy Smith
26. Baltimore - Aldon Smith
27. Atlanta - Kyle Rudolph
28. New England - Brooks Reed
29. Chicago - Corey Liuget
30. New York Jets - Akeem Ayers
31. Pittsburgh - Danny Watkins
32. Green Bay - Clint Boling

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back