PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Early Choices For Round One: C Peter Kronz, OLB/DE Nick Perry or DE Jared Crick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My Early Choices For Round One

I think the best Center "prospect" is a Amini Silatolu, he can be had for less because he's a Guard but if you look at all his attributes he's absolute prime raw material to be groomed at Center. He's dense and strong enough to take on the elite nose tackles in the league, and TFB definitely needs that protection in the middle.

He's not even a guard. He's a left tackle who everybody is projecting to guard. Center would be another whole step to the right :eek:

He's not even a guard. He's a left tackle who everybody is projecting to guard. Center would be another whole step to the right :eek:

He'd certainly need some time on the grill before he'd be ready for prime time action but I think he's got much better goods to be a Center than any of the Center prospects in this draft.

Here's Wes Bunting's write op on him.

"A thick, wide-bodied offensive lineman who plays left tackle at Midwestern State. Possesses a powerful lower half, natural flexibility into contact and exhibits the physical make-up to be ideally suited to play guard at the next level. Showcases the flexibility to bend and sit into his stance, and initially does a nice job keeping his base down on his initial kick-step. Looks balanced off the edge, but has a tendency to get upright into contact. Extends his arms well and is a balanced/powerful puncher who can rock lineman on contact. Therefore, despite getting upright into contact can still stick, but will struggle with balance when engaged and doesn't play as quick laterally, giving up some penetration because of it. However, when he does sink his hips on contact, showcases very good foot quickness for his size, displays some natural mirror ability and can slide his feet through contact. Just needs to do a better job of playing lower. Exhibits solid range toward the edge in pass protection vs. speed, but lacks ideal NFL range, will open up his hips and routinely lunge into contact to push rushers past the play.

Is a dominant run blocker. Not only can he coil up into his stance and really snap through his hips into contact, extending his arms and gaining leverage, but he also loves to finish. Showcases a strong set of legs and can run through contact and routinely get a good push. However, at times just throws himself at defenders, will lose balance at the point and can be side stepped. Needs to improve his initial balance on his second step into contact, but the body control and explosion is certainly there for him to win inside in-line at the next level. He's very impressive on the move. Showcases "plus" range for his size when asked to pull as a backside tackle, lead the power play and reach defenders in space. Plays with a nasty streak, loves to finish and his combination of range/athleticism and balance makes him dominant when trying to kick out defenders. Loves to block down field as well, routinely plays till the whistle and his range in space is very impressive, especially the way he covers ground and breaks down so quickly, dropping his pad level and/or cutting defenders in the process.

Impression: He has some technique flaws that needs to be fixed and will need to kick inside at the next level. However, he's a wide-bodied athlete with a powerful/explosive frame, good foot quickness and can really pull from the backside. Might need some time, but is one of the top guards in the class with as much upside as any."

Of course you realize that you owe me a BEER for even bringing him to your attention back in OCTOBER, of course!! :D

But although I pander to Brother Snake's bizarre desire to convert O Tackles to Centers, it's understood that I do not SUBSCRIBE to that insanity!! Hah!!

There is a TRUCKLOAD of O Guard Talent ~ Most of it O Tackle Convertibles!! ~ coming On Line, this year, Praise Jeebus!!

But although I pander to Brother Snake's bizarre desire to convert O Tackles to Centers, it's understood that I do not SUBSCRIBE to that insanity!! Hah!!

There is a TRUCKLOAD of O Guard Talent ~ Most of it O Tackle Convertibles!! ~ coming On Line, this year, Praise Jeebus!!

Admittedly, I haven't watched any OG film, but I thought Silatolu looked nimble and balanced in the combine drills.

I also like Washington, he could be a great platform for Dante's inferno!

He'd certainly need some time on the grill before he'd be ready for prime time action but I think he's got much better goods to be a Center than any of the Center prospects in this draft.
Yeah, he'd definitely need time. It's something the Pats have done before, though. Dan Connolly was a college left tackle and eventually wound up at center.

Of course you realize that you owe me a BEER for even bringing him to your attention back in OCTOBER, of course!! :D

I'll gladly buy you a case of Mr. Adams finest lager if we can secure the services of Silatolu.

I'll gladly buy you a case of Mr. Adams finest Lager if we can secure the services of Silatolu.

Sweet Noise, INDEED. :cool:

Give me a little Silatolu and a bit of Kelemete, and I REJOICE!! :rocker:

...And a Flagon or two of Sam Adams ~ Patriot and Scholar ~ ALLWAYS eases the pain!! Hah!! :rocker:

If we're looking at OC, I'm hoping for Philip Blake somewhere around the fourth round. Was near the top at every combine test and looked good in drills. Supposed to be a plus run blocker and kept RGIII pretty clean.

The draft boards are starting to move now that the combine is over and Kendall Wright appears to be dropping into range for the Patriots first pick. Much as I want the draft to focus on defense this kid is too good to pass on at #27 and he would be at the top of the list if he stays in that range up to the draft. Adding both Lloyd and Wright would give the Patriots an explosive passing attack that supplements their ability to move the ball with the more controlled game they currently have. It would make them damn near impossible to stop offensively.

If it required a move up to get him i would do that as well as long as the price wasn't too high, Wright is a gamebreaker.

My latest mock with trades using Scout, Inc big board is

#27- Devon Still DT Penn State
#31- Traded to Seahawks for 2013 1st and Seahawks 4th rounder. They take Brock Osweiler QB Arizona State!

Again I used Scout, Inc that was on the espn website.

If Konz is the best player available at #27, I sincerely hope we trade the pick.

Unless you believe Konz is a starting center (or guard) this year, better than Connolly and Wendell (assuming Koppen leaves), this makes little sense to me. I think Barron makes a lot more sense at #27 if available -- and I don't love Barron as a first rounder.

If you do evaluate Konz as a first-year starter along the line, then it's a good pick. If you're wrong, we just used a 1st round pick on a likely gameday inactive.

I think that Konz will be long gone by 27. If not, they the Patriots will take him, alas. Ugh, it is just the sort of move I could see BB making while putting off the defensive needs

My latest mock with trades using Scout, Inc big board is

#27- Devon Still DT Penn State
#31- Traded to Seahawks for 2013 1st and Seahawks 4th rounder. They take Brock Osweiler QB Arizona State!

Again I used Scout, Inc that was on the espn website.

We'd get more then a 4th back. Market value is the deal NE did with the Saints last year.

Stole half of this from Wilfork.

24 (trades 48, 63 and our 5th) OLB/DE Courtney Upshaw

27 DT Devon Still

31 SS/FS Mark Barron

Thats a haul of good solid 1st round talent at 3 positions of need that could catapult this defense into a top 5 unit pending FA signings. But without FA,

. Still, Love, Wilfork
. Upshaw, Spikes, Mayo, Anderson/Ninko
.McCourty .Ras - I/Arrington
. . Barron
. . Chung

That is a great infusion of talent into the defense at clear positions of need. If you discount FA to fill holes then this draft would really change the face of this D.

But using that Trade if you will... and picks 24, 27, 31 you could really add some talent to this D while using the 3rd for your future 2nd if you wish.

P.S yes i know this is slightly more of a madden draft scenario but it is an interesting thought because our record in the 1st if very very good... play to your drafting strengths, even if you swap Upshaw with Brockers e.t.c

I see no safety worth drafting in the first. I expect that WR will be addressed in free agency and with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

#27 C Konz
#31 OLB/DE Perry or DE Krick
Konz has fallen to 44th overall and is not worthy of a first round selection.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Second, the New England Patriots already have three centers on the roster:

Connolly
Wendell
McDonald

I would definitely take safety Mark Barron over Konz since safety is definitely a position of need not a luxury.

I honestly believe Nick Perry will be gone by the time the New England Patriots select at #31. Jared Crick has fallen to 53rd overall and does not warrant a first round selection.

St. Louis is picking 33 and 35. They won't give up a future 1st to move up a couple of slots at that point in the draft. It's going to be harder to do with 3 teams having multiple first round picks. If Tanneyhill falls to 27, maybe Seattle would move up for him. My hunch this year is Philly. They have 2 2nd rounders 46 and 51. We move back from 31 for their 2nd this year 46 and a 2nd rounder in 2013.

Plus, BB and Philly trade every year.

I would definitely take safety Mark Barron over Konz since safety is definitely a position of need not a luxury.

What has happened to cause you to think that the Pats will completely change draft philosophies this year?

i'd rather the pats never trade again, we have too many d holes.

I would rather everyone in New England die than the Pats take another offensive lineman in the first round. We don't need a center, we had four that played great last year.

I'd love if the Pats took both Gilmore and Jeffrey. Then more D. And more D.

The O will be great if we resign our own people and add a FA WR and 1 draftee. The rest needs to focus on the D. We need help at every D position.

Please do something about that mood before posting again. Yeesh.

If those are the players, I want to drop back again and pick up Reyes.

Given this scenario, I think they trade back (for a team wanting / needing a QB). The trade back could be either 27 or 31. I agree with you and believe Reyes is the pick!

What has happened to cause you to think that the Pats will completely change draft philosophies this year?
The combination of value and need? Barron is rated higher overall than Konz, so there is greater value selecting Barron than Konz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News