PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More greed from the NFL....

My favorite was Paul McCartney in 2005, followed by Springsteen in 2009,

Billboard magazine rated Prince #1, U2 #2.

Havent heard that name in a while....

At 96, shes still alive and kicking.

Maybe she can do a duet with The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Drake.
Or Tony Bennett

Here's the perfect option for the Super Bowl Halftime show:

I'm pretty sure she won't argue about the gate receipts.

May a thousand camels drop their dung on your doorstep!

I listened to that entire song and now I can't get the damn thing out of my mind.

"Form the Banana. Form, form the Banana."
"Peel the Banana. Peel, peel the Banana...."

There...you listen to it...listen to it, I tell you...

Who "forms" a damn banana? Who? Who? Tell me. Who?

The economics of being a songwriter or musician are absolutely brutal. Of course Jay Z should be paid for his performance and intellectual property. There are no $40 million Goodell salaries in the music business.

How Technology Has Changed the Economics of Music
If the economics dictate that the opportunity itself is financially beneficially to the musician then the entity giving the opportunity certainly can ask to be compensated for provinding the opportunity.
If jay z doesn't like that he doesn't have to take the offer. No one is forcing him to.
Of course jay z makes a hell of a lot more than 40 mill I bet.

I'm not sure how an article about how musician are paid and what royalties exist when they sell their product applies here. Are you arguing life is unfair to them so the NFL should be charitable in their negotiations and pay for something they can get someone else to do for free? I'm not sure that is realistic.

If the economics dictate that the opportunity itself is financially beneficially to the musician then the entity giving the opportunity certainly can ask to be compensated for provinding the opportunity.
If jay z doesn't like that he doesn't have to take the offer. No one is forcing him to.
Of course jay z makes a hell of a lot more than 40 mill I bet.

I'm not sure how an article about how musician are paid and what royalties exist when they sell their product applies here. Are you arguing life is unfair to them so the NFL should be charitable in their negotiations and pay for something they can get someone else to do for free? I'm not sure that is realistic.
The NFL has the right to do whatever they want, but they are indeed being greedy here, and their greed may result in a lower quality product for fans to consume.

Let’s face it: the Super Bowl is marketed as an event far beyond just football. This forum is skewed because we are, by definition, Pats fans so we are focused just a wee bit more on the game itself than the halftime show... but there are indeed many people for whom the halftime show is a major part of their enjoyment. There are people who go into work the next day talking more about Lady Gaga than Donta Hightower. *Those* are the people the NFL risks losing attention from if the halftime act sucks.

The NFL has the right to do whatever they want, but they are indeed being greedy here, and their greed may result in a lower quality product for fans to consume.

Let’s face it: the Super Bowl is marketed as an event far beyond just football. This forum is skewed because we are, by definition, Pats fans so we are focused just a wee bit more on the game itself than the halftime show... but there are indeed many people for whom the halftime show is a major part of their enjoyment. There are people who go into work the next day talking more about Lady Gaga than Donta Hightower. *Those* are the people the NFL risks losing attention from if the halftime act sucks.
They aren't talking about not having a halftime show. They are talking about making a financially beneficial decision about how they put together the half time show. You seem to think lady Gaga was a success and the NFL was fine with whatever her financial
arrangement was.

We need to be clear about some things though. A decision to save money doesn't equal a good profit seeking decision if he lesser quality has a greater effect on the bottom line. So in your analogy of course at some point the answer flips. If the NFL was paid $3,000,000 to let Barney be the half time show I'd agree that would be a bad decision. Not giving jay z what he wants isn't clearly a terrible decision to me.
Secondly absolutely in addition to profit seeking a corporation must account for social issues and ramifications, goodwill, and integrity in their decisions but holding a hard line on negotiating with Jay Z hardly fits into those areas.

Correct. The quality of their studio work is on the downswing. Concerts are fine.

I believe bands who have members in their 40s and 50s do not have the same level of creativity as they did in their 20s and 30s.

Pearl Jam, Metallica and The Red Hot Chili Peppers are other examples. So-so studio...great concerts.

I don't think its the quality, I think as their number of songs increases, the need to go into the studio decreases

Also, I think that to the listener, the music a band produces that got that person to like them evolves over time and changes their opinion of that band.......coldplay is the best example of this.....it has nothing to do with quality, and more to do with preference.....

Foo Fighters, on the other hand are still keeping on with their music

Bring back Carol Channing!

singer-carol-channing-performs-at-halftime-of-super-bowl-vi-on-16-picture-id499165918

Can she rush the passer?

This is just a another case of billionaires squabbling over nickle and dimes. Business as usual.

Yep. It just happens to bands. Look at the Rolling Stones. Every album after Exile on Main St was just ok or crappy

Same with U2. Everything after Achtung Baby is ok to meh. Then they had that dance music phase. Christ. All That You Cant Leave Behind was a good comeback and Atomic Bomb was decent but it isn't in the same ballpark as the earlier stuff. Everything since has been meh.

With that said I've purchased every lick of music they've churned out and have seen them in concert dozens of times since AB.

The Joshua Tree concert at Gillette was awesome.
Tattoo You is an amazing album - Side B especially

I vote for a real life celebrity death match at halftime!!!

Kim Kardasian vs. Anyone

With all the entertainers getting political lately, it is going to be tough just to pick someone that a certain group isn't going to complain about.

I vote for an LFL scrimmage.

I don't think its the quality, I think as their number of songs increases, the need to go into the studio decreases

Yea quality is not the right word. I think the urgency and emotional energy they put into their music dissipates. Their taste may change as well. Maybe it comes harder to muster at 3am in the studio as the artist ages as they are unable to dig down deep for that great song or don't have the drive to iterate 2000 times to get it just right. I dunna know what it is but "it" happens when they get older.

Elton John and Billy Joel are solo examples. Once the mid-80s hit, they pretty much were past their prime and became 9-5ers in the studio.

I don't think U2 is at THAT point but they clearly don't dig deep like they used to for great songs as often. Less edge to them (no pun intended)

Also, I think that to the listener, the music a band produces that got that person to like them evolves over time and changes their opinion of that band.......coldplay is the best example of this.....it has nothing to do with quality, and more to do with preference.....

Agree a little. I've never been a Coldplay fan but I respect their music. They've evolved for sure.

Musical taste absolutely evolves for the artist and the listener. Hell I've been blowing through Metallica's catalog from the 80s and was just listening to Number of the Beast working out. Gotta be some kind of mid-life crisis thing I'm going through...

Foo Fighters, on the other hand are still keeping on with their music

No question. Concrete and Gold is outstanding.

May a thousand camels drop their dung on your doorstep!

I listened to that entire song and now I can't get the damn thing out of my mind.

"Form the Banana. Form, form the Banana."
"Peel the Banana. Peel, peel the Banana...."

There...you listen to it...listen to it, I tell you...

Who "forms" a damn banana? Who? Who? Tell me. Who?

Back in the 60s, some people used to smoke the damn banana.

Yea quality is not the right word. I think the urgency and emotional energy they put into their music dissipates. Their taste may change as well. Maybe it comes harder to muster at 3am in the studio as the artist ages as they are unable to dig down deep for that great song or don't have the drive to iterate 2000 times to get it just right. I dunna know what it is but "it" happens when they get older.

Elton John and Billy Joel are solo examples. Once the mid-80s hit, they pretty much were past their prime and became 9-5ers in the studio.

I don't think U2 is at THAT point but they clearly don't dig deep like they used to for great songs as often. Less edge to them (no pun intended)

Musical taste absolutely evolves for the artist and the listener. Hell I've been blowing through Metallica's catalog from the 80s and was just listening to Number of the Beast working out. Gotta be some kind of mid-life crisis thing I'm going through...

Hehehehe -- I like how the conversation moves from "attitudes changing" to Metallica. Brings up one of my favorite memes, which pretty much illustrates your point:

barg-300.jpg

Hehehehe -- I like how the conversation moves from "attitudes changing" to Metallica. Brings up one of my favorite memes, which pretty much illustrates your point:

barg-300.jpg
Epic. Hetfield holding an Armani bag...

I've always liked Metallica but just into them right now at a level I was never at before. Kinda cool...

Agree a little. I've never been a Coldplay fan but I respect their music. They've evolved for sure.

No question. Concrete and Gold is outstanding.

What would Iron Maiden think of your avatar?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back