PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Molden and Guyton and Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Molden and Guyton were active but had ZERO defensive snaps. Sergio Brown also had ZERO defensive snaps.

The following players played at least 88% of the defensive snaps: Arrington, McCourty, Ihedigbo, Jones, Mayo, Ninkovich, Wilfork and Carter. Fletcher and Love were in on 65% of the reps.

BTW, we're back to Wilfork playing on all downs, all but one defensive rep.

Why is Sergio Brown on the roster?

Does he block punts?

Does he block field goals?

Does he return kickoffs?

Does he return punts?

Is he the next Steve Tasker?

Sergio Brown is a complete waste of a roster spot. The New England Patriots dumped James Sanders for this piece of trash!

Last edited:

Does he block punts?

Does he return kickoffs?

Does he return punts?

Sergio Brown is a complete waste of a roster spot. The New England Patriots dumped James Sanders for this piece of trash!
He's probably the second closest player on the roster to Tasker. Considering that there are two gunners on a given punt, being the second best at it on the team means that he does it.

That said, Malcolm Williams was drafted for a reason, and I expect he'll steal that spot from Brown sometime before next season, and perhaps sometime yet this season.

I continue to believe BB is experimenting with his defensive rotations.

Interested to see what happens for Denver.

I certainly agree that he is likely experimenting big time. Then again, you and I would be experimenting with that defense too, in every way possible. Something needs to change, and I imagine that Belichick is desperate for something to stick...

Does he block punts?

Does he return kickoffs?

Does he return punts?

"Trash" is a bit harsh... you do not really know what happened, perhaps it is as simple as an injury and he was dressed in the event of someone going down.

"Trash" is a bit harsh... you do not really know what happened, perhaps it is as simple as an injury and he was dressed in the event of someone going down.

He was on 3 special teams units

Agreed, Ihedigbo has needed medical attention at one point or another in each of the past 4 or 5 games. That being said, I'm not sure Sergio Brown is more valuable to ST's than Moore could be if he were in the same role. Not to mention that he looked better at safety than Brown ever has, I think anyways. I'm no coach though.

But why call him a piece of trash???

Without speaking specifically about this post or poster, research has indicated there are two primary reasons why people post excessively hostile comments on the internet. One, the context of their childhood contained routine hostility, so that it is a normal way of relating, and while they experience the negative emotions, they are a bit numb to them. Two, they have free floating anger that is related to some unprocessed or unfinished psychological wounding for which they either do not have, or have not elected to pursue, a healing process. The posting becomes an outlet, and a way to avoid responsibility for addressing their pain.

Ok, but back to the OP's post ....

1. Sergio is just a specia teams guy, and deep deep back up at safety (behind Slater apparently). No surprise here.

2. Guyton not playing is surprising. (I really thought I saw him on some red zone snaps btw but am probably wrong). He is apparently behind Dane Fletcher (and Spikes) in the base, and actually behind Tracy White (special teams ace) and even the Greek in sub defenses. This is truly a change. Doesnt look good for Guyton next year. And really, will he be missed? (not by me)

3. Molden is an even bigger surprise to me. He is playing behind Edelman? Maybe Edelman is better in the slot (quicker). And Molden is just a backup for Arrington and McCourty on the outside? Nate Jones seems to have taken his snaps overall. Could be that BB is testing the hell out of Nate Jones to see what he has, since presumably he already knows what Molden brings to the party.

Thoughts?

-- FRITZ

Yeah, boy are we missing James Sanders and his 38 tackles this year (10 of which came in one game). :rolleyes:

Yeah, boy are we missing James Sanders and his 38 tackles this year (10 of which came in one game). :rolleyes:

Sanders had limitations but when he was back there we rarely saw balls flying over the top of the defense as we have the past few games. Value is not measured only by tackles.

Meriweather and Sanders are better than any safety on this roster except for Chung, who might not come back anytime soon.

Releasing them without proper backup plans was an awful decision and has resulted in this atrocity known as the 2011 Patriots pass defense. In a few weeks when the season is over, BB will be known as the man who put together the worst pass defense in NFL history.

Ihedigbo's shoulder is falling off and BB continues to play him. I don't think this is an experiment.

I certainly agree that he is likely experimenting big time. Then again, you and I would be experimenting with that defense too, in every way possible. Something needs to change, and I imagine that Belichick is desperate for something to stick...

Experimenting? I think it's more an act of desperation. The Pats have sh*t in the secondary. Absolute garbage. The safeties are THE WORST in the league. This isn't even debatable. Bill Belichick has no one to blame but himself for this. It's all on him.

Meriweather and Sanders are better than any safety on this roster except for Chung, who might not come back anytime soon.

It's been reported that Darren McFadden has a Lisfranc injury, which are notoriously slow healers. I'd be willing to bet that Chung has the same type of thing going on. They are wise to make sure that it's fully healed. That walking boot he was spotted in is probably just a precautionary measure and not a symptom of re-injury...I hope.

In any case...Get Well Patrick!

Ok, but back to the OP's post ....

1. Sergio is just a specia teams guy, and deep deep back up at safety (behind Slater apparently). No surprise here.

2. Guyton not playing is surprising. (I really thought I saw him on some red zone snaps btw but am probably wrong). He is apparently behind Dane Fletcher (and Spikes) in the base, and actually behind Tracy White (special teams ace) and even the Greek in sub defenses. This is truly a change. Doesnt look good for Guyton next year. And really, will he be missed? (not by me)

3. Molden is an even bigger surprise to me. He is playing behind Edelman? Maybe Edelman is better in the slot (quicker). And Molden is just a backup for Arrington and McCourty on the outside? Nate Jones seems to have taken his snaps overall. Could be that BB is testing the hell out of Nate Jones to see what he has, since presumably he already knows what Molden brings to the party.

Thoughts?

-- FRITZ
Basically summed my thoughts.

I would add that Molden had a concussion last week, so it's possible they were playing it safe with him. Maybe they felt he could play in an emergency, but was better off on the sideline. Otherwise, it's hard to explain.

Releasing them without proper backup plans was an awful decision and has resulted in this atrocity known as the 2011 Patriots pass defense. In a few weeks when the season is over, BB will be known as the man who put together the worst pass defense in NFL history.
Sanders, I'll agree with. But not Meriweather. A guy with his attitude has no place on the Patriots. I'd rather have Ihedigbo, who can actually tackle.

The guy lost his job to a third round rookie this year. He's done absolutely nothing this year that our other safeties can't do.

As for worst pass defense in NFL history, cry me a river. We're not the only team who's going to break that record this year.

btw, did the prized ex-Jet LB Ellis play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back