PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Minnesota Viking QB Teddy Bridgewater out for season with knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there anything about his knee coming out of the draft? Like an RG3 situation?

Was there anything about his knee coming out of the draft? Like an RG3 situation?
Nope he was clean. This is as freak as it can be...
You have to think Vikings not only thinking short term, but also long term. Tradeing for a QB has to be considered...
New stadium, APs age, All the young players who needs new contracts withing 1-2 seasons etc.
And then you add 9-12 months atleast and by then he may only be at 75-85% as a mobil QB.. No this is not only hurting the year, but next season aswell.
When you factor all this, trying to trade for Rivers ( Turner connection ? ) AJ McCarron ( Zimmer ? ) or who knows mayby Jimmy G must be considered, I think?

Nope he was clean. This is as freak as it can be...
You have to think Vikings not only thinking short term, but also long term. Tradeing for a QB has to be considered...
New stadium, APs age, All the young players who needs new contracts withing 1-2 seasons etc.
And then you add 9-12 months atleast and by then he may only be at 75-85% as a mobil QB.. No this is not only hurting the year, but next season aswell.
When you factor all this, trying to trade for Rivers ( Turner connection ? ) AJ McCarron ( Zimmer ? ) or who knows mayby Jimmy G must be considered, I think?

Yea they have to do something. Not sure how much they should give up.

Look, I know internet users love playing the "oh, the irony!" card -- I mean, that's like the oldest shtick in the history of message boards -- but you're utterly grasping at straws; you are just completely -- completely -- off-base here.

I like Bridgewater and want him to succeed (I live in the Twin Cities, so I hear a lot about the Vikings), but he's statistically a bottom-tier quarterback right now. This isn't the Packers losing Rodgers or us losing Tom Brady, this is a run-heavy, defense-oriented team losing a guy who ranked 22nd in passer rating last year. Bridgewater has a career 87.0 rating (during an era when passing efficiency is at an all-time high), and Shaun Hill has a career rating 85.2; given the aforementioned nature of this team (run-first), I totally think Shaun Hill could "game manage" them to a decent season. (And to be completely clear, yes, I think Bridgewater is better than Hill, but at this point in his career I don't think he's miles ahead.)

That is an objective and fair observation, which is a far cry from the personal vendetta people have against Mort because he said something negative about our beloved team/players. When reporters say negative things about the Broncos people here gobble it up, when they say negative things about our team we resort to character assassination and calling them worthless hacks.

His talent or potential has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. This thread was being used as a platform to wish the kid well and learn about the developments of his injury; for all we know his career could be over. Injuries like that are not easy to come back from despite all of the advances in modern science. You used this as a platform to bash his talent when he's vulnerable while simultaneously preaching sanctimoniously to others that they should lay off Mortensen because of his personal challenges considering it's "only football."

A kid who has proven to be a model citizen potentially has his career ended by a gruesome injury (not to mention the potential damage to his long term health if there was arterial damage) and you started talking **** about him. Yes, I'm pulling the irony card because it's perfectly fitting.

His talent or potential has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. This thread was being used as a platform to wish the kid well and learn about the developments of his injury; for all we know his career could be over. Injuries like that are not easy to come back from despite all of the advances in modern science. You used this as a platform to bash his talent when he's vulnerable while simultaneously preaching sanctimoniously to others that they should lay off Mortensen because of his personal challenges considering it's "only football."

A kid who has proven to be a model citizen potentially has his career ended by a gruesome injury (not to mention the potential damage to his long term health if there was arterial damage) and you started talking **** about him. Yes, I'm pulling the irony card because it's perfectly fitting.
A quarterback got injured, and you're telling me that talking about how said injury affects his football team's season is "[using] this as a platform to bash his talent?" You should be in politics, because false equivalency and rhetoric like that is only heard from presidential candidates. Saying a quarterback is not very good is "talking ****"? Are you high?

Hell, even the title of the Mort thread is insinuating that he is being cowardly and using his health as an excuse to hide from his past. That's the only reason that thread was posted in the first place, let's not kid ourselves. This is apples and oranges.

I get it, dude. Like I said earlier, the internet loves irony, and they salivate over every opportunity to point it out, and seek it out like a shark in blood-infested waters. That said, you're trying to shove a square peg through a round hole. To say you're grasping at straws is an understatement. Give it a rest. I'm done dignifying your argument, and I'm bowing out of this pissing match.

How the f&ck do you completely destroy your knee and get it all mangled without contact?

I'm wondering if the ACL wasn't already partially torn.

This is a sad lesson in the tenuousness of of playing in the NFL. It also points out another reason why you can't baby these guys all the time since every play they make could be their last of the season. What was it Edelman said, "if it goes, it goes". Or to paraphrase another great philosopher, "this is the nature of the business we have chosen".

But the thing is there are a lot of people who go to work every day knowing they could be in physical danger, from the military to law enforcement; from miners to iron workers. etc. And NONE of those guys are being paid over a half million per per year and up.

That is why I want to see JG in there for 3-4 series tomorrow. Why I want to see Brady in there for 2 or 3. What we are trending to is trying to have these guys play a contact sport with the only contact coming during the games themselves. That is not only more dangerous to the players, it continues the decline in the quality of play that has (IMHO) become more apparent with every passing year, DESPITE the fact the athletes themselves are getting faster stronger and quicker.

I'm wondering if the ACL wasn't already partially torn.
It's likely that there was some undetected structural damage that contributed to the injury.

PFT just posted an article from a trainer that basically says that the knee cap dislocation was caused by the ACL tear. He is speculating that once his ACL tore, the joint became unstable and say if he was planting his throwing leg, the joint now with a torn ACL couldn't handle his body weight and buckled causing the knee cap dislocation. He didn't think it was any prior injury or weakness, just basically a "freak injury" .

Also said that the dislocation can often turn a orthopedic case into an emergency case if the nerves or blood vessels get damaged (which apparently didn't happen in Bridgewater's case) but does explain why they quickly loaded him into an ambulance and got him to a hospital.

PFT just posted an article from a trainer that basically says that the knee cap dislocation was caused by the ACL tear. He is speculating that once his ACL tore, the joint became unstable and say if he was planting his throwing leg, the joint now with a torn ACL couldn't handle his body weight and buckled causing the knee cap dislocation. He didn't think it was any prior injury or weakness, just basically a "freak injury" .

Also said that the dislocation can often turn a orthopedic case into an emergency case if the nerves or blood vessels get damaged (which apparently didn't happen in Bridgewater's case) but does explain why they quickly loaded him into an ambulance and got him to a hospital.

Yikes. OT: I witnessed a torn patella tendon playing hoop. He came down with a rebound and fell like a ton of bricks. His kneecap rolled up on just slightly below where is quad muscle starts. Gross. Needed to call 911.

The Vikings have a Super Bowl championship defense right now

Yikes. OT: I witnessed a torn patella tendon playing hoop. He came down with a rebound and fell like a ton of bricks. His kneecap rolled up on just slightly below where is quad muscle starts. Gross. Needed to call 911.

Must have been quite impressive to see a torn patella tendon playing hoop at all, let alone grabbing a rebound.

Must have been quite impressive to see a torn patella tendon playing hoop at all, let alone grabbing a rebound.

At first I had no idea what happened. He was on the floor but not screaming but wincing. Then he held is knee and saw this bump. Took a few seconds to register what happened.

Exactly what happened to Ronaldo, you can see his knee popping up.

It was his first game coming back from a surgery in the other knee (also tendon ruptured) so at the time people questioned that those injuries were a side effect from using steroids. He got too strong and even faster for what his body could handle, he left Brazil very skinny and then went to Nederlands where it was a common practice to juice.

From this

Ronaldo+psv-----651+f.jpg

To this

ronaldo_2a2_chievo_inter_21_aprile_2002_ansa.jpg

At first I had no idea what happened. He was on the floor but not screaming but wincing. Then he held is knee and saw this bump. Took a few seconds to register what happened.

Sounds brutal, as does the Bridgewater injury. I've seen some horrifying sports injuries on TV (Kevin Ware and Clint Malarchuk being the most gruesome), but thankfully never in person, let alone in a game I was participating in myself.

Sounds brutal, as does the Bridgewater injury. I've seen some horrifying sports injuries on TV (Kevin Ware and Clint Malarchuk being the most gruesome), but thankfully never in person, let alone in a game I was participating in myself.

Oh the Malarchuck one was disgusting. Blood squirting out....Something out of Friday the 13th.

This is a sad lesson in the tenuousness of of playing in the NFL. It also points out another reason why you can't baby these guys all the time since every play they make could be their last of the season. What was it Edelman said, "if it goes, it goes". Or to paraphrase another great philosopher, "this is the nature of the business we have chosen".

It also shows how important is to have a quality backup QB that knows the system. The Vikings are ****ed, no matter what answer they have for this, their season is toast.

Quality backup doesn't mean expensive or a big name, there are not even 32 quality starters so there is no such thing as a top backup , but it just means something that resembles a plan, the Vikings apparently didn't have a plan.

BB drafting Biscuit this year was not necessarily related to Brady being out 4 games, I'm more inclined to think it was his plan all along.

It also shows how important is to have a quality backup QB that knows the system. The Vikings are ****ed, no matter what answer they have for this, their season is toast.

Quality backup doesn't mean expensive or a big name, there are not even 32 quality starters so there is no such thing as a top backup , but it just means something that resembles a plan, the Vikings apparently didn't have a plan.

BB drafting Biscuit this year was not necessarily related to Brady being out 4 games, I'm more inclined to think it was his plan all along.

Yep. With that said if Jimmy or Brisket was a disaster in preseason he might be dumpster diving for a vet.

Seeing that Jimmy has been decent and Brisket has exceed expectations, he seems to think he can weather the storm until TB is back Week 5.

Worst knee injury to a QB I ever saw:

kFO_yp.gif

Hurt me just to watch it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back