PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Perreira - Official Review (NFL Network)

Status
Not open for further replies.
letekro said:
A referee who makes a judgment call that blows, like that BS roughing the passer call, has bad judgment, and is therefore a crappy referee. I think this is what Pereira is trying to say.
He didn't say that about the Cincy-TB call. It was clear he had misgivings but also said from the coach's film angle, the one closest to the ref's view, he could see why it was called.

IMO, the more rules the NFL adds, many trying to prevent injuries, the harder it becomes for refs to make correct calls. Thier trying to micro-manage the game so much it's gotten ridicluous.

BradyManny2344 said:
It's not specific to the NFL either - NBA officiating has become downright awful in the past few years. Without getting into too much social commentary, I think the increasingly litigious nature of society is rubbing off on sports. We're seeing more and more rule changes and additions and more and more whistles being blown. NBA games are getting tough to watch b/c refs just don't let them play. I have no data to back this up, this is just what I'm seeing.

I agree that the NBA game is getting hard to watch. The refs are part of it but the absolute lack of team play and complete individual play is amazing.

You see pros who can't drive with the other hand; you see rebounders who don't box out; you see guys never going both left and right.

As a matter of fact some teams actually play defense assuming a guy will not burn them by going in the opposite direction.

The game has degenerated. Its not surprising that much less talented players on foreign teams out play the stars in international competition. The NBA stars are exposed as juveniles who don't know their craft and won't take coaching to learn. After all they get paid a several million ayear they must be great. Read about them in the newspaper clippings.:mad:

PatsDeb said:
It was easy to admit that one because the Steelers still won the game. I wonder if he ever admits a mistake where the wronged team lost the game?

Yes, Perreria has admitted to a mistake where the wronged team lost the game. He did it a few years ago when the Giants and 49ers were playing in the play-offs and it cost the Giants the game back in 2002.

He hasn't said anything, to my knowledge, about horrendous officiating in the play-offs last year. Not just the Pats game, but the SuperBowl as well. In fact, I think he pretty much said that everything was hunky-dory.

I was under the impression that the NFL told teams each week what calls were mistakes.

A few weeks back Reiss wrote the below in his weekly mailbag so someone appears to be admitting mistakes even when we don't hear about them.

"The pass interference against Samuel in the Denver game in Week 3 was indeed a mistake, according to the NFL's officiating review in that game. The pass interference against James Sanders in that Broncos game also was a mistake, and should have been offensive pass interference, according to the NFL's officiating review in that game."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/10_03_06/?page=4

When talking about NFL officiating its important to keep in mind that the NFL does not have full time officials, in fact I'm pretty sure they are the only major sport who's officials that have other jobs besides officiating. For instance, Ed Hochuli is also a practicing lawyer. Can you imagine trying to focus on active cases and making sure that you are doing the best job you can on the field?

There's so much going on in an NFL game that I think that the officials have the toughest jobs in comparison to other sports, and its basically something they do on the weekends. The NFL is a multi billion dollar institution that could easily pay for the officiating crews to do nothing but make sure they get the calls right, and with all the questionable calls the past few years I'd love to know what is keeping them from doing this.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
He hasn't said anything, to my knowledge, about horrendous officiating in the play-offs last year. Not just the Pats game, but the SuperBowl as well. In fact, I think he pretty much said that everything was hunky-dory.

Periera is a great spokeman for the NFL, and is great at explaining the rules, which is why they created that segment for him on NFL Network.

That said, I think that they lose a lot of credibility when they have a segment like that and completely ignore the officiating disaster that was last year's playoffs.

R

g-fresh said:
When talking about NFL officiating its important to keep in mind that the NFL does not have full time officials, in fact I'm pretty sure they are the only major sport who's officials that have other jobs besides officiating. .

NFL officials can make up to $75k a year for 16 weeks worth of work. Which may explain why even lawyers find the job attractive.

So let's not boo-hoo about how they are treated.

R

TomBrady'sGoat said:
BTW, basketball is easy. All fouls are treated like college technicals. At worst the team still has the ball, has missed both free throws, and has a new clock. More often a foul gives up two free points and a new clock. There'd be a lot less thuggery going on and no more "final two minutes takes an hour" crap. I'd start watching basketball again. While I'm at it, 3 or 4 fouls and you're tossed. Give these guys incentive to change the way they play.

You've now extended the time of basketball games to 5 hours.

If you've ever played any basketabll on any level or on any playground you would know that eliminating contact from the sport is simply never going to happen.

njpatsfan said:
NFL officials can make up to $75k a year for 16 weeks worth of work. Which may explain why even lawyers find the job attractive.

So let's not boo-hoo about how they are treated.

R

The post you are replying to is not saying the refs are mistreated of need to be payed more. The point is that the quality of officiating would be better if the league had full time refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes