PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi on the Jamie Collins trade..

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I have been all over how badly the Patriots defense has been playing all season."

This goes to show how meaningless a lot of stats, including opponents PPG, when you take away the context. Pats are allowing fewer points, but part of that is because opponents need to go to shootout mode to keep pace with Brady; that plays into the hands of this defense and its very good secondary. Sounds like Bill (and Lombardi) think this defense has been a paper tiger that would get steamrolled against a physical team in the playoffs.

"I have been all over how badly the Patriots defense has been playing all season."

This goes to show how meaningless a lot of stats, including opponents PPG, when you take away the context. Pats are allowing fewer points, but part of that is because opponents need to go to shootout mode to keep pace with Brady; that plays into the hands of this defense and its very good secondary. Sounds like Bill (and Lombardi) think this defense has been a paper tiger that would get steamrolled against a physical team in the playoffs.

so the solution is trading arguably the best defensive player??? if lombardi thinks the defense is weak with collins, it's clearly worse without jamie! what if something happens to hightower?? we're screwed.

i dont understand this move at all. sure, trust BB but this move makes 0 sense.

Yeah, that fits into the "Unseen elements" that surely had a great impact on this move. I don't know man. If we are thinking short term, I rather have a effort-less Collins than a low 3rd round/ high 4th round pick.

Plus, if we let him walk, we would still get a compensatory 3rd round pick.

We are getting NOTHING, holy ****

Yeah, that fits into the "Unseen elements" that surely had a great impact on this move. I don't know man. If we are thinking short term, I rather have a effort-less Collins than a low 3rd round/ high 4th round pick.

Plus, if we let him walk, we would still get a compensatory 3rd round pick.

We are getting NOTHING, holy ****

Not would. Could. In 2018.

Why not leave them in the Jamie Collins trade thread?

I think this warrants its own thread - it's actual insight from a real source, which would get swallowed up in a matter of seconds in the other thread.

I've been grasping at straws trying to figure out how this trade benefits the team, and if the answer is that this is how Belichick is trying to get in the D's head and motivate them--"If you don't fall in line then have fun playing for the ****ing Browns"--then that's something at least.

Not would. Could. In 2018.
Don't be oblivious for the sake of the argument. He would net us a high compensatory pick. He will get a 10M+ contract from somewhere, that is the biggest qualifier for the compensatory picks.

This is spot on.

Anybody with 2 eyes and no homer glasses should be able to see this defense is pretty bad.

If maybe they thought that Collins was holding the defense back, who will step up now and take his place? We need more than just Hightower and Roberts.

The biggest qualifier is that you lose more qualifying free agents than you sign.
Which fits with the traditional way of things here. Every year, this has been our way of doing things.

so the solution is trading arguably the best defensive player??? if lombardi thinks the defense is weak with collins, it's clearly worse without jamie! what if something happens to hightower?? we're screwed.

He's been a problem, not listening to coaches, all the talent in the world is useless if he's doing his own thing out there instead of what he's coached to do.

he's physically the most gifted

but if he's freelancing or half assing effort at times, then he's ****ing everyone else's efforts up, and making the defense worse

if you can put a lesser physical specimen in there who works hard every play and does his job and plays to the scheme, that's a net gain, and a better defense

we always say BB wins with players who buy into his scheme and his philosophy

sadly, jamie collins wasn't seeming to be that player at this point

You don't understand how compensatory picks work.
Alright, if you don't have anything to post, other than insults, i don't need to talk to you. I come here expecting more of the arguments. If i wanted brain-washed insults, i'd rather go somewhere else.

Clearly Bill doesn't see Collins as their 'best defensive player'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes