PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi: "Be Patient with Mac Jones" (no need to rush)

Belichick does put the best team on the field. He's always done this. He's objective and ruthless and it doesn't matter if you're a 7th round pick or undrafted guy playing over a 1st round pick or a guy with a bigger contract.

So this will be really fun seeing you trying to reconcile this when Bill Belichick starts Cam Newton as QB as he has been saying over and over.

Exactly.

Belichick will start to show his hand if he starts putting Mac in when the team's either down or up by multiple possessions. I don't think you'll see it in the first 2 weeks, but after that unless Cam looks great I think we'll see Belichick gradually insert Mac into the conversation by playing him in garbage time.

If we see this happening by week 4, Cam's probably not finishing the year as the starter. Belichick uses those first 4 weeks as an extended tuneup and if Mac sees the field at all in that time, he's being evaluated as a possible starter. If Belicchick waits and only starts putting Mac in in week 6 or 7 or later, Mac is finishing the year behind Cam and "developing." in practice and skirmishes.

Yeah Mac was coached by Sarkisian who was a former NFL coordinator for the Falcons. I'm real excited about Mac. Would rather we set this kid up the next 15 years and not rush anything unnecessarily. But it will be fun when he is ready.

Plus ****inson and then Morris.

From what we've seen in the games so far, I have more confidence in Jones moving the chains than Newton. It's a surprise when we get to 4th down with Mac, but kind of expected with Cam at some point in a drive. Now, maybe in a real game Newton will rely on his legs more to get that 1st down. But Jones appears much like Brady in terms of being a 1st down machine.

The one unknown is recognizing defenses. Preseason is mostly vanilla defenses. Belichick may want to devote the first few weeks of the RS to be a learning opportunity for Jones to watch situations and what these defenses do, and to see the weekly routine, feeling our record will be the same after the first few games either way.

But on the other hand, our offense provides some matchups that can't be stopped very easily, it's not like Mac will be in the same situation as Cam was last year, trying to will the impossible. So it wouldn't shock me to see Mac get the call.

From what we've seen in the games so far, I have more confidence in Jones moving the chains than Newton. It's a surprise when we get to 4th down with Mac, but kind of expected with Cam at some point in a drive. Now, maybe in a real game Newton will rely on his legs more to get that 1st down. But Jones appears much like Brady in terms of being a 1st down machine.

The one unknown is recognizing defenses. Preseason is mostly vanilla defenses. Belichick may want to devote the first few weeks of the RS to be a learning opportunity for Jones to watch situations and what these defenses do, and to see the weekly routine, feeling our record will be the same after the first few games either way.

But on the other hand, our offense provides some matchups that can't be stopped very easily, it's not like Mac will be in the same situation as Cam was last year, trying to will the impossible. So it wouldn't shock me to see Mac get the call.

It was very impressive to see Mac dig out of long yardage downs from penalties.

Eh…it’s really hard to take you seriously and believe you’ll have any objectivity. You’re on here chest thumping about a 9-attempt performance against a second-string defense in a preseason game, acting like it’s more important than the 7 attempts we just saw a week before against a first team defense, 368 attempts last season, and an entire subpar career post-2015.

Really? Nine attempts against total scrubs, and you’re on here with a loudspeaker declaring how right you’ve been?

And your take that Cam is only good on 10-15 yard bullet passes is absurdly wrong. That’s precisely where he struggles and really where all of the accuracy issues become big. You’re just using 3-4 passes from one game, where he has four seconds, steps into the throws, and finds open receivers going against bubble roster guys from Philadelphia.

What would you have him do. Nothing has warranted a change in starting QB based on practice or 2 preseason games. Now you're just criticizing the nature of preseason itself.

A guy who regularly says BB is bad at his job dislikes Lombardi, a guy with genuine pro football credentials… funny stuff. And guys who regularly call BB the best (Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, McVay, Sean Payton) they’re wrong as well.

Lombardi’s pod is one of the best about football online, he’s not always right. I disagreed with him when he said Philly wasn’t the best team in the league early in 2017, he’s not always right, and will be the first to tell you so.

He disagrees with the negative nancy’s that BB is a bumbling stumbling fool who backed into the best record in NFL history… so obviously he’s a “BB honk.”
And his son is on the staff. You're a fool if you don't take Lombardi's opinions on the Patriots seriously. He's known Bill a long time. He may not have inside info on the Pats, but he definitely is familiar with how they operate.

Yep, I did! I didn't watch a single football game last year. The whole situation with opt-outs, etc. made the season seem like a sham, and I decided to go cold turkey. But I missed it.

Patchick Jr. is home for the week and recently turned 21, so she and I can enjoy a game and a beer together tonight.
Oh shoot big opt out addition back to Patsfans.

What would you have him do. Nothing has warranted a change in starting QB based on practice or 2 preseason games. Now you're just criticizing the nature of preseason itself.
Of course it has, the better QB has shown he is ready.

agree with this, and I would not be shocked at either outcome either. I think we'll see Cam start and the difference-maker will be his game speed vs. what it has to be in-game to succeed. Last year it did not get to the level of "success." It does not look good this year either, when you compare his speed getting the ball out (relying on eye test) ... using Mac-10 as the standard.

But it is worth remembering that with Cam, there's a respect for the run ability that buys him time. So the real comparison is vs. Cam '20, and ultimately vs. NFL 21. If he can buy time & also be a threat with his arm (not the case in 20,) Cam might be the right call.

But I just want to say, yuck.

feeling our record will be the same after the first few games either way.

This is something I've been thinking about too. The first five games:

Vs. Miami - Week one games (especially in division) are basically toss ups. Teams don't know who they are or who their opponents are yet.

At NYJ - We should win this game regardless of who's playing QB. BB has a good record against rookie QBs.

Vs. NO - This is kind of the swing game out of the first five, in that depending on the Saints' QB success early on, picking the right one between Cam and Mac could be the difference between W and L. But I'd say we're favored in this game (at home) no matter what.

Vs. TB - I want to win this one, but I've said before it's a tall order for an early season game. I would say we lose this one regardless of our QB.

At Hou - We should 100% win this game no matter the QB.

So really, I feel like no matter who starts the year, we're probably 3-2 after the first 5 games. Some would point to this and say, "Then you might as well start the rookie" and I can understand that opinion. But you could argue it's also a good reason to let him observe and ease in (if the coaching staff believes there's value in that for him). It's also a chance to hold serve on your schedule without asking the kid to play twice as many games this year as he's used to. I could see it go either way.

Vs. Miami - Week one games (especially in division) are basically toss ups. Teams don't know who they are or who their opponents are yet.

At NYJ - We should win this game regardless of who's playing QB. BB has a good record against rookie QBs.

Vs. NO - This is kind of the swing game out of the first five, in that depending on the Saints' QB success early on, picking the right one between Cam and Mac could be the difference between W and L. But I'd say we're favored in this game (at home) no matter what.

Vs. TB - I want to win this one, but I've said before it's a tall order for an early season game. I would say we lose this one regardless of our QB.

So really, I feel like no matter who starts the year, we're probably 3-2 after the first 5 games. Some would point to this and say, "Then you might as well start the rookie" and I can understand that opinion. But you could argue it's also a good reason to let him observe and ease in (if the coaching staff believes there's value in that for him). It's also a chance to hold serve on your schedule without asking the kid to play twice as many games this year as he's used to. I could see it go either way.

I think the media won't shut up unless Cam starts 4-1. Even then they won't stop.

I think the media won't shut up unless Cam starts 4-1. Even then they won't stop.
The media won’t shut up ever. You are just trying to find a way they agree with you.
Unfortunately for you, they understand what they see on the football field, so that’s unlikely.

Last edited:
Mac won't be scared. I think Mac is a competitive killer and a super nerd on the playbook, this kid will be good. Just don't get the rush to throw him to the wolves already. Brady himself said his body wasn't physically ready until his second year. This kid could be good for 15 years if he doesn't get screwed up by some short sighted thinking from media, and fans.

You were saying?

Apparently BB feels he is ready to go.. Too much pressure????
That was in response to Jones starting week 4. By starting week 1, he'll be a seasoned veteran by then.....

Lombardi proven fraudulent again lol

Looks like BB cares about his opinion about as much as Drew's.

8 games is the standard to get critical mass in terms of film.

All of these games are winnable.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back