PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Williams (TE) gone to IR or . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots TE waived-injured after suffering torn ACL

m. Williams injury-waived but IMO likely to pass waivers to get to IR. Although BB stole that TE from giants a couple years ago in same type situation. Williams doesnt seem that versatile that anyone will hold a roster spot for the acl recovery time.

The Patriots waived-injured tight end Michael Williams Friday, two days after Williams suffered a torn ACL.

The waived-injured designation means Williams will revert to the team’s injured-reserve list if he clears waivers.

Michael Williams is a hard-working player, so it's sad to hear that he was injured, specially this soon, when he could win a roster spot.

Honestly, though, with Bennett, Harbor and Develin, for that matter, i thought he would be cut by the end of the pre-season.

Get well soon Michael, there is always next year!

Bad deal for Williams - he got some snaps at tackle last year didn't he? Versatile hard-working guy.

Now to the BIG question.........How does this effect the cap ? Miguel :D

He posted a blog earlier about this. For now his lowered salary won't count, but later in the year it may be one of the top 51. I'll try to find the link . . .

He posted a blog earlier about this. For now his lowered salary won't count, but later in the year it may be one of the top 51. I'll try to find the link . . .
Thanks !

Found it for you. :)

* With his torn ACL Michael Williams is likely to be placed on IR. His 2016 salary will be lowered from $525,000 to $348,000. Right now, his salary does not count against the Patriots cap since his cap number is not one of 51 highest cap numbers. Starting on September 7 his $348,000 salary will count against the cap. Williams is scheduled to be a RFA (Restricted Free Agent in 2017). - See more at: Patriots Salary Cap

Patriots Salary Cap

I'm really disappointed that professional athletes should have such serious non-contact injuries in a training camp where they're not putting their bodies under high stress.

Is it that they are so highly muscled that their frame simply lacks sufficient flexibility? Is it the turf? Are they not being properly conditioned? I don't know, but I can't believe it's just part of the cost of doing business in the way that impact injuries in games are.

I'm really disappointed that professional athletes should have such serious non-contact injuries in a training camp where they're not putting their bodies under high stress.

Is it that they are so highly muscled that their frame simply lacks sufficient flexibility? Is it the turf? Are they not being properly conditioned? I don't know, but I can't believe it's just part of the cost of doing business in the way that impact injuries in games are.

I often have the same reaction. I ran a parkour gym for a while, and we spent a lot of time working on mobility and joint-care, increasing proprioception, how to fall safely, and other injury prevention techniques. Quite frequently, students would make exceptional progress in a short amount of time, once they comprehended how the body works and how to be safe in their movements. It was really rewarding to watch the lightbulb come on for people as they improved and become stronger, more fluid movers. I just have a tough time imagining that professional athletes don't put in extra work to really understand movement and momentum and body control in the context of the body's limitations.

I often have the same reaction. I ran a parkour gym for a while, and we spent a lot of time working on mobility and joint-care, increasing proprioception, how to fall safely, and other injury prevention techniques. Quite frequently, students would make exceptional progress in a short amount of time, once they comprehended how the body works and how to be safe in their movements. It was really rewarding to watch the lightbulb come on for people as they improved and become stronger, more fluid movers. I just have a tough time imagining that professional athletes don't put in extra work to really understand movement and momentum and body control in the context of the body's limitations.

Interesting. I completely agree about mobility, joint-care and proprioception. If you're in the Boston area, you might know some of the people I know (though I'm a low-level consumer with serious injury and balance problems, not a movement professional!)

Never thought I'd see an Ido video on here! That's awesome. I'm actually up in the Rochester, NY area. You can see my old gym here: RocPK

I won't derail the thread further, but I'll pm you since I'm super into movement.

A lot of times, they have already damaged the ligament and don't know it. And it's during the non-contact drills of hard cuts to change directions that cause the ligament to finish tearing. I know that is what happened with my knee. I had jammed it sliding into a base that I thought was loose only to have it on a 2x2 steel pipe. I hit is square and it didn't budge, jamming my knee. A week later, playing street hockey, I went to make a hard cut and it just sheared.

Ouch! Hope you're on the mend buddy. You're probably correct that there was outstanding damage, but I would expect a physical to detect these things. Teams need to modernize their medical evaluations and treatment methods.

Great topic and great post

That's a slight misstatement.

Later in the year all salaries count against the cap, not just the top 51 ... which, by the way, he won't be in, because of the number in your link. :)

Maybe age has something to do with it. I hurt my back sleeping the other day. I'm IR'd for at least a week although I'm still expected to do the dishes. Not sure how that's fair. Oh well.

All it takes is one cut on any surface, for anyone (and sometimes not even that). For athletes, those cuts happen with great frequency. For professional athletes, those cuts happen even more often. In football, and other contact sports, those cuts often happen while people are hitting one another. Sooner or later, the law of averages is going to result in some people popping ligaments. And all the gym workouts, stretching exercises, zen meditation and the like aren't going to stop it from happening, and anyone who claims they will is lying to you.

Last edited:
I won't derail the thread further, but I'll pm you since I'm super into movement.

Whoah! When you guys started talking about proprioception it inspired me to move from the couch to the fridge, where I applied a rear naked choke on a beer bottle neck. I'm exhausted now, best get back to the couch.

Zolak was mentioning yesterday the Williams played 40% of the offensive snaps last year and played quite a bit on ST's(164 times on the field).. his presence needs to be replaced. Clay Harbor?? AJ Derby??

Opportunity is knocking for someone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results