PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Irvin: "Wes Welker is the best WR in the NFL. PERIOD!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were coaching some bizarre charity game with wildly mismatched talents, where each side can afford to triple- or quadruple-cover the top WR, I'd definitely want a great leaper rather than Welker.

But in a real NFL game, it's a real discussion right now.

Last edited:
I think people are unfairly criticizing Welker because the way he gets his yards isn't as pretty as the others. But with Welker increasing his YPC (which he's right there with Megatron 15.4 to 15.7) and touchdowns, there really isn't any compelling argument not to have him in your top 5 of all receivers in the game. The production speaks for itself and while people say Brady made him what he is, remember, he's the only WR not named Moss that has gotten 1000+ yards in a season for the Patriots during the Brady Era. If Brady made WRs, then you would think there would be more guys on the list besides just Welker and Moss.

The other unfair criticism of Welker is that he can't stretch the field like his contemporaries and yet these same people ignore all the things he can do that they can't. If the slot position gave such a huge advantage because he's got 2nd and 3rd string DBs and LBs covering him, why wouldn't the other teams move their #1 receivers to the slot? Easy because their talents are more conducive to playing on the outside and their effectiveness in the middle of the field would be limited. Their skill sets are not necessarily better as much as they are different. Welker is more suited for the inside and the other top receivers are more suited outside the numbers. Furthermore, if the slot position made it so easy for slot receivers to put up "inflated" yardage numbers, then why aren't there any other slot receivers that can even approach Welker's production? It's because Welker is an elite WR period.

For me, Welker is a world class receiver and at the end of the day his rank among receivers should be determined by his production. He's done it with and without Brady. He's done it with and without Moss. He led the Dolphins in receiving the last season he was there so he's even done it without Belichick and the Patriots "system". And as far as his production goes, he is the cream of the crop.

Last edited:
I only regret naming my dog Wes because I should have saved it for a son.

The only thing that could make Welker more of a badass would be long hair and mountain beard.

He raises a good point: If had one drive to score, is there any receiver you'd rather have? Are you going to take your chances chucking it up to a Larry Fitzgerald, or are you going to go to the guy that moves the chains time and time again.

He raises a good point: If had one drive to score, is there any receiver you'd rather have? Are you going to take your chances chucking it up to a Larry Fitzgerald, or are you going to go to the guy that moves the chains time and time again.

With all due respect to Welker, I certainly wouldn't mind Brady chucking it up to Larry Fitzgerald.

Well, one can easily flip that by noting that Welker's generally not been particularly effective at actually scoring TDs. That would actually lower Welker on the receiver totem pole.

That is a great comparison. If anyone here has watched Messi play it is very true.

No its not. Messi is more like Montana + Brady +Barry Sanders+Jerry Rice+Randy Moss in one person

No its not. Messi is more like Montana + Brady +Barry Sanders+Jerry Rice+Randy Moss in one person

Not really he needs Xavi and Iniesta the legit Barcelona midfield to do his thing I mean in Argentina he hasn't done anything or won anything.

Common now, im here to avoid this stupid messi of barcelona VS messi of argentina talks.

Common now, im here to avoid this stupid messi of barcelona VS messi of argentina talks.

Hahaha Madrid fan here :p and by all means I think Messi is up there but he is number 2 in my list Xavi is number 1 IMO

Last edited:
Hahaha Madrid fan here :p and by all means I think Messi is up there but he is number 2 in my list Xavi is number 1 IMO

thats like saying Ronaldo is the second best player on Real...

thats like saying Ronaldo is the second best player on Real...

Just my opinion...Xavi is the motor of Barcelona and Spain national team.

Just my opinion...Xavi is the motor of Barcelona and Spain national team.

only when he have iniesta. it think those two players belong to a golden generation of soccer players, i think we will never see a dou like xavi-iniesta again, and thank god we dont (im a chelsea fan and facing barca isnt fun, altough we tend to be equal to them most of the time).

Last edited:

Blasphemy.

Messi might go down as the GOAT once he is done. Although Xavi is like Brady is to their offenses. Don't know who I'd compare Messi to.

That being said, Man City is gonna win the Champions League this year.;)

Porto fan here. And that afirmation is just ridiculous.

Xavi is the most overated player in the world right now. You watch a Barcelona game and he is nowhere to be seen most of the time and Iniesta is making all the plays, but Xavi gets all the credit god knows why. Xavi at this point should lose his job to Cesc, as he is younger and better. I know a lot of people dont agree with me, but Iniesta is twice the player that diving prick Xavi is.

But lets stop with football(!) conversation. This is about Wes.

Last edited:
Did I miss something?

I thought I was on a webpage dedicated to a sport for men.

What is being discussed here?

As much as I love Wes, all I have to say in regards to Irvin is: Cocaines a helluva drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes